Viciedo Not Worth The Wait

Marty34

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

804 OPS

On pace for a .280 average, 36 homers and 88 RBI's (and that's not considering the fact that he sat quite a few times in April and early May, so his overall numbers COULD be even higher with everyday playing time from here on out). 3 months of el perfecto Cubano weather, too.

He didn't play in 4 games.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
804 OPS

On pace for a .280 average, 36 homers and 88 RBI's (and that's not considering the fact that he sat quite a few times in April and early May, so his overall numbers COULD be even higher with everyday playing time from here on out). 3 months of el perfecto Cubano weather, too.

He didn't play in 4 games.

He just needs to walk some more.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)
He just needs to walk some more.

Hopefully when he goes into a funk again, that's when he can start breaking out the bb's. He learns to do that and that's when we can reach superstardom.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 29, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Hopefully when he goes into a funk again, that's when he can start breaking out the bb's. He learns to do that and that's when we can reach superstardom.

Ha, ha.

Slow down there.

Paul Konerko's hitting almost .400 and has been among the best players in modern baseball history for Ages 34-36, but nobody would confuse him for or with being a superstar (rightly or wrongly, because he doesn't play for the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, etc.)

A pretty good comparison would be Edgar Martinez, although Egdar was more of a DH than an everyday player for the 2nd half of his career...most baseball fans wouldn't consider either one of those guys to be "superstars," same with Fred McGriff or Carlos Delgado, for example.

Edited by caulfield12

While DV's walk rate hasn't really risen, he's gotten more selective. He's swinging at less bulls*** that results in soft contact and his two strike approach is notably different...I haven't looked to verify but it seems like he just doesn't strike out anymore.

If DV has two more weeks like his previous two, he'd make the damn All-Star team. That's crazy. I hope he has a lot more runs like this throughout his career.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 29, 2012 -> 11:34 PM)
While DV's walk rate hasn't really risen, he's gotten more selective. He's swinging at less bulls*** that results in soft contact and his two strike approach is notably different...I haven't looked to verify but it seems like he just doesn't strike out anymore.

If DV has two more weeks like his previous two, he'd make the damn All-Star team. That's crazy. I hope he has a lot more runs like this throughout his career.

In his first 31 games, he was striking out at a 29.2% clip. In the last 15 games, he's struck out at a 6.7% rate.

Yeah, it's better.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2012 -> 11:34 PM)
Soon enough, pitchers will just stop throwing him hittable pitches. That's when you figure out how far he's come.

He is an absolute pleasure to watch hit.

I have no proof, but I don't think he has really gotten a lot of pitches to hit. He seems like he is hitting a lot of bad balls.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
I have no proof, but I don't think he has really gotten a lot of pitches to hit. He seems like he is hitting a lot of bad balls.

The one spot he still can't regularly cover is the top of the zone, and he's not good at fouling those pitches off or laying off of them yet...but people aren't just explotiing him up there like they did 2 summers ago. Couple games ago he had a great swing on a pitch up there...only was a single, but he got his bat on top of it and hit a hard grounder. He covers that pitch, and genuinely there's no where in the zone where you can get him out.

I believe it was during the post-game last night someone mentioned that one of Viciedo's biggest issues was swinging at the pitches in the dirt, almost as if he couldn't see them. But, he doesn't seem to be doing it as much anymore. Frank Thomas has been singing his praises all season, and he said again last night that he could be a .300 hitter.

On a side note, what is his contract status? He was originally signed for 4 years, correct? And then I assume there are some option years?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
On a side note, what is his contract status? He was originally signed for 4 years, correct? And then I assume there are some option years?

He was signed to a "4 year deal" worth $10 million but there was no out clause like Cespedes has. He is fully under White Sox control for the next 5 seasons, with the last 3 or so being arbitration seasons. The Sox will be able to simply "Renew his contract" for the next couple years in the offseason, or they could attempt to sign him to a longer term deal to buy out some FA years. Key part is, we have his rights for 5+ years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
He was signed to a "4 year deal" worth $10 million but there was no out clause like Cespedes has. He is fully under White Sox control for the next 5 seasons, with the last 3 or so being arbitration seasons. The Sox will be able to simply "Renew his contract" for the next couple years in the offseason, or they could attempt to sign him to a longer term deal to buy out some FA years. Key part is, we have his rights for 5+ years.

Nice. I remember hearing that he's under control for a while. That's good news. Do you see the Sox discussing a long-term deal with him anytime soon? By soon, I mean after this season as the earliest.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Nice. I remember hearing that he's under control for a while. That's good news. Do you see the Sox discussing a long-term deal with him anytime soon? By soon, I mean after this season as the earliest.

If the Sox were the Rays, they'd be trying to do it right now, not waiting to the end of the season. But that's never been the Sox's way. If they try to do such a thing, their usual pattern is to wait until a guy is closer to arbitration and then pay a little more at that time (See: Alexei Ramirez, multiple pitchers).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
If the Sox were the Rays, they'd be trying to do it right now, not waiting to the end of the season. But that's never been the Sox's way. If they try to do such a thing, their usual pattern is to wait until a guy is closer to arbitration and then pay a little more at that time (See: Alexei Ramirez, multiple pitchers).

I'm sure glad they didn't pull a Rays with Josh Fields

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
Josh Fields was never a can't miss guy.

No, they're not very similar players at all except early power and questionable ability to handle the fastball. But he did come up and look incredibly legitimate.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
I don't believe Viciedo will be worth the wait, too many holes in his swing without much development of patience. At best I see him as a 5-6-7 hitter, not the dynamic 3-hitter we had hoped. I think it'd be a good move to deal him before his value drops further (see Beckham).

Oh, "Marty", this thread title is just hanging you out to dry everytime it gets bumped.

*bump