Viciedo Not Worth The Wait

Marty34

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 31, 2012 -> 06:03 AM)
Viciedo's average now up to .291 for the season after going 7-12 (.583) against the Rays

He is some kind of hot. He has been adjusted accordingly in MLB 12... making things a bit easier!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
He is some kind of hot. He has been adjusted accordingly in MLB 12... making things a bit easier!

He's so fat in that game. I wish SCEA would change that...

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
He's so fat in that game. I wish SCEA would change that...

I agree - or I wish they'd just open things up so I can trim the waste line a bit. With dominance will come recognition, I guess.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
Oh, "Marty", this thread title is just hanging you out to dry everytime it gets bumped.

*bump

I give Marty credit for going out on a limb and making a statement which he definitely knew he could be hung for and constantly reminded of for years to come. He was dead wrong in my opinion but I still give him the brass balls award for taking such an unpopular stand in the forum.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
I give Marty credit for going out on a limb and making a statement which he definitely knew he could be hung for and constantly reminded of for years to come. He was dead wrong in my opinion but I still give him the brass balls award for taking such an unpopular stand in the forum.

Eh, it doesn't take balls when that's all you do.

Almost everyone that plays in the MLB will NEVER have a run as good as Dayan's tear in progress. That says something in and of itself. There have been players that seem to be as talented that just never do this. This really reminds me a bit of the runs that Quentin would go on where it seems like he'll just prevent you from losing. Luckily, DV is a bit more durable :D We just need to make sure that when he slows down he doesn't have any months like he did in April. And we need to do something to keep the Cubans from being worthless in April EVERY YEAR.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
Oh, "Marty", this thread title is just hanging you out to dry everytime it gets bumped.

*bump

I love it. I hope there are posts proving me wrong for years. By the same token, I'm curious as to why I get no props for being the first one on here to say the Sox should contend. Posters on here had the Sox losing 90+ games in Jan/Feb.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
I love it. I hope there are posts proving me wrong for years. By the same token, I'm curious as to why I get no props for being the first one on here to say the Sox should contend. Posters on here had the Sox losing 90+ games in Jan/Feb.

Because you aren't...there are plenty of people on here thinking the Sox would contend...

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)

I know you keep saying that it's great that Viciedo is proving you wrong, and it is, but next time maybe don't mat.png about a player so quickly, especially one as talented as Viciedo.

It's just annoying to hear someone pull this schtick because it's just an escape clause to for being wrong.

Marty, I will support you, sir. Viciedo showed us so little, in that the HR-power wasn't there enough to make up for the fact that so much of avg-inflated OBP seemed to be on bloops/luck over the last two years. At least at the major league level.

On the flipside, many of his bloops are not luck, in that they are created by his pure strength.

He's obviously not going to keep the first-ballot-HoF pace throughout this year.....but I have to say he seems willing (much like at the beginning of his 2011 callup) to try the whole plate patience thing.

The big key is this - when pitchers leaguewide start being worried about him, how will he react to that.

For awhile I thought we had a Jorge Cantu ceiling here offensively, but I'm glad to realize that was a low expectation.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
I know you keep saying that it's great that Viciedo is proving you wrong, and it is, but next time maybe don't about a player so quickly, especially one as talented as Viciedo.

It's just annoying to hear someone pull this schtick because it's just an escape clause to for being wrong.

Interesting how you post about not jumping to conclusions. Viciedo has proven me wrong for 2 months of the season.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
Marty, I will support you, sir. Viciedo showed us so little, in that the HR-power wasn't there enough to make up for the fact that so much of avg-inflated OBP seemed to be on bloops/luck over the last two years. At least at the major league level.

On the flipside, many of his bloops are not luck, in that they are created by his pure strength.

He's obviously not going to keep the first-ballot-HoF pace throughout this year.....but I have to say he seems willing (much like at the beginning of his 2011 callup) to try the whole plate patience thing.

The big key is this - when pitchers leaguewide start being worried about him, how will he react to that.

For awhile I thought we had a Jorge Cantu ceiling here offensively, but I'm glad to realize that was a low expectation.

I think pitchers were afraid of him from the beginning and that's why we saw him almost always being pitched the same way. Pounding him with fastballs, especially inside, coupled with breaking balls off the plate. He's learned to cover fastballs better by going to the opposite field and has been swinging at fewer balls. You now have to throw Dayan strikes to get him out...and he hits strikes hard. You're seeing them trying to go with this same game plan but not doing well because he has adjusted.