4/26 Games

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Mitchell 3-3, BB, 3B

Can you say September callup? I didn't think it was possible last year, but he looked great in spring, and he's still going.

Wow take it easy. It hasn't even been a month yet and he still has a high K rate.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
Wow take it easy. It hasn't even been a month yet and he still has a high K rate.

We'll see. He was a first rounder that got hurt, and now he's got a .447 OBP in AA.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being excited about this, nor do I think it's unrealistic to think he'll be up in September.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
We'll see. He was a first rounder that got hurt, and now he's got a .447 OBP in AA.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being excited about this, nor do I think it's unrealistic to think he'll be up in September.

He hasn't even had 100 PA yet.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)

I have to agree here. We can't call guys failures on April 26, and you can't call them saviors yet either. It is very early in the season. Yeah you like to see the play, but there is a long way to go in 2012. I will say if Mitchell can sustain a good season, it makes the view of the farm a lot better looking.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)

Has he ever had an 80 PA stretch where he has looked this good though? Agreed it's far too early to make judgements but the early season results are extremely promising and about as good as anyone could have hoped for

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
Why are people thinking calling him a September call-up candidate is so crazy? It's not like they said he will be in Chicago by June. 15 players get added to the roster in September, and I can see Robin wanting an advanced speedy player on his bench if the Sox are in the hunt.

Thank you.

Maybe I did a bad job making my point. The season has a long way to go, but considering where he was a year ago, and where he is now, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility he's in the Sox dugout in September. I hope he plays well enough to get there.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
Why are people thinking calling him a September call-up candidate is so crazy? It's not like they said he will be in Chicago by June. 15 players get added to the roster in September, and I can see Robin wanting an advanced speedy player on his bench if the Sox are in the hunt.

15 guys never get called up in September. That's the max. It's usually less than half that. Also, Mitchell isn't even on the 40-man roster right now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
Thank you.

Maybe I did a bad job making my point. The season has a long way to go, but considering where he was a year ago, and where he is now, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility he's in the Sox dugout in September. I hope he plays well enough to get there.

Last year people thought he was nothing more than career minor leaguer, so far this season he's showing that he has some real ability AND is indeed a prospect, someone that the big club would want to look at in sept. I understand what you're saying, some people just like to argue.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
Last year people thought he was nothing more than career minor leaguer, so far this season he's showing that he has some real ability AND is indeed a prospect, someone that the big club would want to look at in sept. I understand what you're saying, some people just like to argue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Yes, it's OK to start getting excited about Mitchell. He's averaging 1 K/4.5 PA, which is the best of his career. He's about to 100 PA, which is about the time one should actually take season stats at almost face value.

Great to see.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 07:25 PM)
Didn't realize Birmingham had a night game...

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...biraax_monaax_2

Mitchell is 5-5 today, but I won't say anything more than that. Can't get too excited.

Quintana good so far.

After watching Beckham, Morel and Viciedo the last 2-3 weeks, we HAVE to have SOMETHING to get excited about, besides Phil's no-hitter.

Phegley's start in AAA has been a pleasant surprise as well.

In other news, our other first round pick in 2009 is hitting .385 in Triple A with 7 strikeouts in 65 ABs.

Funny how both Mitchell and Phegley look like busts heading into this year, and both are turning things around at the same time. Perhaps we are 2 for 2 in 2009?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 12:20 AM)
In other news, our other first round pick in 2009 is hitting .385 in Triple A with 7 strikeouts in 65 ABs.

Funny how both Mitchell and Phegley look like busts heading into this year, and both are turning things around at the same time. Perhaps we are 2 for 2 in 2009?

But neither one of them were bust in the traditional sense. They both had injuries/diseases that hindered their progress. It was more unlucky than bad picks.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
But neither one of them were bust in the traditional sense. They both had injuries/diseases that hindered their progress. It was more unlucky than bad picks.

They weren't busts yet heading into this season, but this was the boom or bust season for both, and both are looking to be more boom than bust.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 01:02 AM)

People were still happy to label them bad picks and be furious that we missed out on Trout and took Mitchell.

Mitchell is still struggling against lefties. If he even hits slightly below average against them, then I'll get excited, though this is nice to see from him as far as hitting overall.

I'll send alittle love to Marcus Semien who is really heating up. I know fathom was a fan of his when he was drafted.

Edited by SoxAce