Who Are the 2012 White Sox?

hi8is

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
How do you get $12 million for 2 months?

Probably closer to $10 million if he's moved at the deadline, you're right, $12 million would be moved mid-July.

He gets $17 million this year, which translates to about $3 million a month.

Then, there's a $4 million buyout paid by whichever team he's on at the end of the season when they decide not to pick up his option.

Pick him up end of July, and you're paying him $10-$12 million, give or take the exact day. $750k a start is a reasonable estimate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
If the Sox could save $5 million on moving him, that's $5 million more that could be put towards payroll in a year that we're not playing 3 sub-.200 , 26 or younger hitters in April. Even better if we could get someone to throw in a talented A-baller while we're at it.

But...Saving $5 million would require the Sox still eating $7 million or so...and I just don't know they'd be willing to do that even if it's the right move.

So you're saying put the money towards next year?

Question: Peavy has a buyout, correct? So if the Sox hold on to him for the whole year, they MUST either pick up the option or pay the buyout? Am I correct about that?

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Probably closer to $10 million if he's moved at the deadline, you're right, $12 million would be moved mid-July.

Then, there's a $4 million buyout paid by whichever team he's on at the end of the season when they decide not to pick up his option.

Pick him up end of July, and you're paying him $10-$12 million, give or take the exact day. $750k a start is a reasonable estimate.

And if you are the Dodgers, flush with cash, and you're in a division race or more likely, a pennant race, and you know there is an SP available basically for cash that's pitched very well against Boston/Texas/Detroit and possibly the other AL powerhouse lineups, you're not going to have a ton of interest in acquiring him?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)

Question: Peavy has a buyout, correct? So if the Sox hold on to him for the whole year, they MUST either pick up the option or pay the buyout? Am I correct about that?

Yes, or resign him to a new deal.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)

Yes. Whoever is holding Jake Peavy at the end of the season either must pay him $4 million when they choose not to pick up his option or they must pick up the option for $22 million for next year. No way around that unless you renegotiate his contract mid-season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
And if you are the Dodgers, flush with cash, and you're in a division race or more likely, a pennant race, and you know there is an SP available basically for cash that's pitched very well against Boston/Texas/Detroit and possibly the other AL powerhouse lineups, you're not going to have a ton of interest in acquiring him?

I'm just not sure that, after forking over $2 billion, that ownership group counts as "Flush with cash", but we'll find out. We already know Boston is out of the picture.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)

No matter what the Sox will have to eat money and get a fake prospcect or two in return

unless maybe they take a halfway decent player back making a decent amount of money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
I'm just not sure that, after forking over $2 billion, that ownership group counts as "Flush with cash", but we'll find out. We already know Boston is out of the picture.

Dodgers financial condition

It's been unanimously speculated that the Dodgers will look to make a big splash at the trade deadline and in next year's FA period now that the new ownership group is in place.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)

I have yet to read an article about the Dodgers that didn't involve spending large amounts of cash.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
I have yet to read an article about the Dodgers that didn't involve spending large amounts of cash.

The ownership group paid $2.15 billion IN CASH for the team.

I seriously doubt they are going to be afraid of $10 million for three months of Jake if he's pitching like an ace for the first 15 starts...

Now obviously he has to continue lighting it up, but if he does, and we are out of contention, I can definitely see us being able to unload Peavy without eating salary...which a month ago seemed impossible.