United Center plans retail space

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
That's interesting. I wonder if they would keep it open year-round or only during events at the UC.

They say "restaurants" and you can't really support multiple restaurants on 41-50 games a year. They also refer to event space.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
Oh man this will absolutely flop, which is probably why it will never happen.

What why? Admittedly, I haven't been over there in awhile, but I thought that area in general was undergoing a general revitilization/gentrification.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)
They say "restaurants" and you can't really support multiple restaurants on 41-50 games a year. They also refer to event space.

Double that number. You forgot two teams play there 82-100.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:43 AM)
What why? Admittedly, I haven't been over there in awhile, but I thought that area in general was undergoing a general revitilization/gentrification.

yeah especially on ogden right behind the stadium theres a lot of swanky bars and restaurants popping up and its quickly becoming one of my favorite spots to hang out at after a game now that logan square, wicker park and bucktown have fallen to the hipsters.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:43 AM)

The West Loop is entirely different that it was when most people last came over here, Randolph street has received numerous rewards this year as being one of the best foodie streets in the world. They are also now opening a Soho House (swanky celeb private club) right down the street. Ashland is usually the border for our area, but this is slowly being knocked down and something like this would get ALOT of play.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 02:35 AM)
Double that number. You forgot two teams play there 82-100.

There are constant events at the UC. Concerts, Circuses, Sporting events. There are many nights when there will be many people at the UC.

Wow, I had no idea the gap was still that big. Essentially the middle person is making minimum wage.

A 2010 study sponsored by Near West Side Community Development Corp., an economic development agency, showed median income increased by more than 16 percent over the past decade as the neighborhood began to gentrify. But the median household income of $19,938 still lagged the citywide figure of $49,290.

Read more: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/201...e#ixzz1tWnVTgrA

Stay on top of Chicago business with our free daily e-newsletters

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:01 AM)
1.5 million fans for regular season games alone is not something to turn a nose at; and that doesn't include all the other events that happen there.

The problem is that a good chunk of those are the same fans over and over again who have season tickets. I seriously doubt the guy who has season tickets is going to go out every night. I bet the number of unique fans is much less than that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
The problem is that a good chunk of those are the same fans over and over again who have season tickets. I seriously doubt the guy who has season tickets is going to go out every night. I bet the number of unique fans is much less than that.

We are also looking at this in that the only people going to these restaurants are going to be fans after a game. If a restaurant is good, people will come. If it sucks, even the fans wont show up to eat. The UC is accessible, it isnt buried in a back-alley corner.

And besides, if they are attempting a gentrification project, it has to start somewhere. You have to imagine Jerry sees dollar signs if he is investing this kind of money into it. He doesnt throw money around like it grows on trees

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
We are also looking at this in that the only people going to these restaurants are going to be fans after a game. If a restaurant is good, people will come. If it sucks, even the fans wont show up to eat. The UC is accessible, it isnt buried in a back-alley corner.

And besides, if they are attempting a gentrification project, it has to start somewhere. You have to imagine Jerry sees dollar signs if he is investing this kind of money into it. He doesnt throw money around like it grows on trees

The problem is that if a good chunk of the area is extremely poor (median number at minimum wage for example) how far are you willing to travel for somewhere to hang out?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
The problem is that if a good chunk of the area is extremely poor (median number at minimum wage for example) how far are you willing to travel for somewhere to hang out?

Like I said, if they are trying to rebuild the area they have to start somewhere. I believe if Jerry sees money to be made, he will invest. He is trying to do the same thing around the Cell, and that place isnt exactly in the wealthiest neighborhood either

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)

That's got to be their issue with the site...if they want this thing to succeed, it needs to be able to draw some traffic on its own. If gets a big boost on maybe 100 nights a year, which is a nice starting point, but that kind of boost can sustain a couple restaurants/bars in the area, I don't know if it could sustain an entire retail complex with multiple restaurants and bars. You've got to be able to draw some traffic to the area on nights where there aren't games, which means that there has to be some successful retail on the site as well, along with non-game-night transit access.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
Like I said, if they are trying to rebuild the area they have to start somewhere. I believe if Jerry sees money to be made, he will invest. He is trying to do the same thing around the Cell, and that place isnt exactly in the wealthiest neighborhood either

Oh I get why, I'm just not sure how. The Sox have been in the stadium for over 20 years now, and there is still nothing to do over there. Bridgeport blows away the area that that UC is in, once you get off of the main drag.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
Oh I get why, I'm just not sure how. The Sox have been in the stadium for over 20 years now, and there is still nothing to do over there. Bridgeport blows away the area that that UC is in, once you get off of the main drag.

The project around the cell only really started within the last 5 years though. It should have started immediately when it was built, but for whatever reason they waited

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Wow, I had no idea the gap was still that big. Essentially the middle person is making minimum wage.

In the near west side, yes. IN the actual west loop area the median income is very high compared to average. Their surveys take into account areas of people below poverty levels. Take a nice from the UC on Damen west and tell me what you see.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)

The area that the Cell is in isnt exactly a very good area of bridgeport.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
The project around the cell only really started within the last 5 years though. It should have started immediately when it was built, but for whatever reason they waited

Heck I have been waiting all my life to see some progress around the ballpark. Hopefully it finally happens.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
In the near west side, yes. IN the actual west loop area the median income is very high compared to average. Their surveys take into account areas of people below poverty levels. Take a nice from the UC on Damen west and tell me what you see.

Unless the UC moved the other side of the Kennedy, it is on the west side. Like I said, once you get off the main drag, it gets scary. The numbers bear that out when 50% of a neighborhood is making under $10 an hour

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
Heck I have been waiting all my life to see some progress around the ballpark. Hopefully it finally happens.

The issue with that has always been the fact its a super old neighborhood that has been surrounded by garbage and immigrant chinese. There has always been push back from long time residents on big box development and the entire area across the highway has been a gang-land. Recently the gang-land has been reduced and there has been a slight turnover in residents, but at the heart of it there isnt alot of people in bridgeport calling for bars/etc around the park other than the little bit on halsted.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
Unless the UC moved the other side of the Kennedy, it is on the west side. Like I said, once you get off the main drag, it gets scary. The numbers bear that out when 50% of a neighborhood is making under $10 an hour

The district encapsulates areas west of western which is garbage, because thats how the district was drawn years ago. Most of those people arent the target market for any development over here including the new shopping area. The financial info is incredibly inaccurate as to most of the population in the west loop area which is their target.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
The district encapsulates areas west of western which is garbage, because thats how the district was drawn years ago. Most of those people arent the target market for any development over here including the new shopping area. The financial info is incredibly inaccurate as to most of the population in the west loop area which is their target.

Redrawing the district to get most of the residents out of it gets you back to depending on people at the UC for business.