4/29 Games

flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
I haven't followed Saladino as close as I probably should have, but what type of player does he project as at the MLB level?

Always check for an AAP page...I tried to knock off most of our top 10 prospects last Winter, so Saladino has a nice one. I'd say the standout phrase is "Average across the board". Won't wow you with power, defense, speed, or average, but also shouldn't disappoint on any of them. If he can remain that way coming up, then he can become a reasonable contributor in an IF, but he's not projecting as the next ARod or anythign like that.

Except Saladino's never going to nab 30-50 bags.

He doesn't have that type of speed and athleticism. He actually sounds like another version of Morel, lol.

Doesn't really wow with any one skill (actually, Morel was known as a better defender)...not going to be project to anything more than maybe 12-15 homers, 18 tops, at the major league level.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
Except Saladino's never going to nab 30-50 bags.

He doesn't have that type of speed and athleticism. He actually sounds like another version of Morel, lol.

Doesn't really wow with any one skill (actually, Morel was known as a better defender)...not going to be project to anything more than maybe 12-15 homers, 18 tops, at the major league level.

I dont know how Phillips gives you a range to 50 sb especially when I said excluding his 2007 season.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
I dont know how Phillips gives you a range to 50 sb especially when I said excluding his 2007 season.

Okay, I over-exaggerated by a bit, but Saladino's not the type of prospect who's going to consistently put up 25, 30, 35 steals at the major league level.

The one plus is he should walk a lot more than Morel, so there's that.

Hopefully more XB hits than Brent has shown the ability to generate at the MLB level (I know some will argue the "real" Brent was the one we saw the last 6 weeks and that this version is an impostor).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
Always check for an AAP page...I tried to knock off most of our top 10 prospects last Winter, so Saladino has a nice one. I'd say the standout phrase is "Average across the board". Won't wow you with power, defense, speed, or average, but also shouldn't disappoint on any of them. If he can remain that way coming up, then he can become a reasonable contributor in an IF, but he's not projecting as the next ARod or anythign like that.

I'd have to disagree to a certain extent about that. He definitely has legit power.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 08:34 PM)
Okay, I over-exaggerated by a bit, but Saladino's not the type of prospect who's going to consistently put up 25, 30, 35 steals at the major league level.

The one plus is he should walk a lot more than Morel, so there's that.

Hopefully more XB hits than Brent has shown the ability to generate at the MLB level (I know some will argue the "real" Brent was the one we saw the last 6 weeks and that this version is an impostor).

Again I said excluding the 07 year which would make 25 SB the peak..... I was thinking moreso 15-20 which is possible and fits. He really isn't like Morel at all imo.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 12:33 AM)
I'd have to disagree to a certain extent about that. He definitely has legit power.

Ok, well that's an interesting take. Compare him to how Morel looked at AA for me...does he drive the ball better than Morel?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:59 AM)
Ok, well that's an interesting take. Compare him to how Morel looked at AA for me...does he drive the ball better than Morel?

Morel didn't have as much loft in his swing, but he hit around .330 if I remember correctly. Saladino can drive a ball deep into a stiff wind. He can make you say "whoa" on a routine fly ball or one that dies on the track. I think he could be a Kinsler type if he pans out, maybe not as many homeruns though.

Edited by JPN366