The Off-day boredom thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard not to feel better about this team. The way the schedule was set up it sure looked like we were going to start off in a big hole.

Adam Dunn is driving in runs, and Rios is hitting for average. Too bad Beckham still struggles. Was such a fun time when everyone had elected him to the Hall of Fame. :(

If they won the two games they blew, even with a s***ty offense, the Sox would be 13-9, and I would have taken that.

I wanted 30 wins by June 1, so they have to go 19-10 this month. I'll settle for 17-12 in May with 3-2 vs Det and 6-4 vs Cleveland. Yes, we have 10 games vs the Indians this month.

Edited by flavum

I'm desperately searching for positives in this offense, but they're hard to find. However, I would like to give yesterday's lineup a chance to succeed. Lillibridge and Escobar add considerably more speed and might help to manufacture a few runs, certainly more than Beckham and Morel can do with speed alone. I don't know what you give up on D, though.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
I'm desperately searching for positives in this offense, but they're hard to find. However, I would like to give yesterday's lineup a chance to succeed. Lillibridge and Escobar add considerably more speed and might help to manufacture a few runs, certainly more than Beckham and Morel can do with speed alone. I don't know what you give up on D, though.

I'll say that I am impressed Ventura has stuck with Morel and Beckham so far, but I'm not quite sure at this point what he's thinking while doing so...they've just shown no signs of turning things around...so I'm left wondering what the deadline is before something other than the lineup order is changed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
I'll say that I am impressed Ventura has stuck with Morel and Beckham so far, but I'm not quite sure at this point what he's thinking while doing so...they've just shown no signs of turning things around...so I'm left wondering what the deadline is before something other than the lineup order is changed.

I'm all for Beckham being sent down and Morel staying on the big league club and just working on being aggressive. If Beckham goes down the minors and continues to struggle to hit the ball out of the infield, then it makes it easier to get rid of him after this year. In general though, I think everyone should be way more optimistic about this team's chances to compete in the AL Central as opposed to a month ago. Peavy has looked great, Sale's made a smooth transition to starter, and Dunn no longer looks to be the worst hitter in history. The biggest area for optimism for me is that the Tigers haven't distanced themselves already from the rest of the division.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)

Morel is 9 for his last 34 (.265). Not great, but respectable.

I feel pretty good about the starting pitching. My only concern there is Danks, but I'm hoping he comes around. I like the bullpen, but I have big concerns about the closer. Thornton closing out yesterday made me feel better, but I have a feeling we'll see Santiago again. Offense has been okay, thanks to Konerko, Dunn, Rios and AJ. Two of those names I didn't expect to see included there, and I'm beginning to think that they are both for real. Even if Rios' average slips down to around .300, that's huge for this team. I think it goes without saying that I'm worried about Beckham and Morel. Actually, I have concerns about the bottom half of the order.

That being said, if nothing changes in a big way, I could see this team being around .500 at the end of May. If Danks turns it around AND one or both of Beckham and Morel start hitting, I would feel a lot better.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
I'm all for Beckham being sent down and Morel staying on the big league club and just working on being aggressive. If Beckham goes down the minors and continues to struggle to hit the ball out of the infield, then it makes it easier to get rid of him after this year. In general though, I think everyone should be way more optimistic about this team's chances to compete in the AL Central as opposed to a month ago. Peavy has looked great, Sale's made a smooth transition to starter, and Dunn no longer looks to be the worst hitter in history. The biggest area for optimism for me is that the Tigers haven't distanced themselves already from the rest of the division.

I was told in the other thread that I should take very little fromm the fact that Fielder only has an OPS just over .800, and at some point he's going to go on a major HR streak. If that's the case, that'll make up for a lot of the issues they're having right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
I was told in the other thread that I should take very little fromm the fact that Fielder only has an OPS just over .800, and at some point he's going to go on a major HR streak. If that's the case, that'll make up for a lot of the issues they're having right now.

Are you going to do this every time someone actually corrects you?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)

LOL. You are kinda ridiculous when you come off really wrong in threads and get called for it. Did you see that bomb by Fielder yesterday? He's fine.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
Are you going to do this every time someone actually corrects you?

I was trying to give you credit. I actually learned something, and now I'm trying to take and project based on that. If Fielder does what you say and hits a HR streak, that's going to solve a whole lot of their problems.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
I was trying to give you credit. I actually learned something, and now I'm trying to take and project based on that. If Fielder does what you say and hits a HR streak, that's going to solve a whole lot of their problems.

You should say you learned then, not "I was told..."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
You should say you learned then, not "I was told..."

Sorry, didn't mean to offend, would say those mean the same thing to me, but yes, I learned that we should expect a major hot streak from Fielder sometime soon.

I said it in another thread but 21 of 29 against the central starting Tuesday. So far they've shown themselves to be useful this season against the division. But if they can't do anything this month and inferior competition like Kansas City and Minnesota starts giving them fits then it's all over. That is a hole they will not be able to dig out of and itll be a long boring summer.

16, 17 of 21 is a must

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
I said it in another thread but 21 of 29 against the central starting Tuesday. So far they've shown themselves to be useful this season against the division. But if they can't do anything this month and inferior competition like Kansas City and Minnesota starts giving them fits then it's all over. That is a hole they will not be able to dig out of and itll be a long boring summer.

16, 17 of 21 is a must

They aren't going to be playing .800 ball against the division. That is just insane. The Tigers aren't even going to do that with a WAY better team.

We've gotten much more positive results than expected out of Dunn, Rios and Peavy...even AJP and DeAza's holding up, maybe not the average and obp but his slugging's keeping him very useful, despite the defensive lapses.

Other than the rookie struggles or near-rookie struggles of Santiago and Viciedo, which have been disappointing but not completely unpredictable....Beckham and Morel's plunge into two of the worst OPS hitters in MLB has hurt on the downside more than anyone could have predicted. It's one thing to put up 575-625 OPS numbers while playing great defense, it's another to be down at the level they're both at in terms of ineptitude.

Encouraged about throwing out a lot more runners and holding guys closer at 1st.

Then you have the Danks suckitude...I don't think anyone could have predicted that, not to extent we've seen so far. Is it all the big new contract or is there something physically wrong with him? He's hasn't looked crisp with his secondary pitches, and his FB velcity is down about 2 MPH from a year ago, which makes his change-up all the more hittable.