The Off-day boredom thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
(Of course, if NASA wasn't having its budget gutted, the odds of an unexpected meteor large enough to destroy a whole lot of stuff hitting the Earth would become vanishingly small in the next few years).

Great, now I get to buster the off day boredom thread.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2012 -> 06:55 AM)
Last year was such an incredible statistical outlier in terms of baseball history. We are talking about multiple guys having multi-generationally bad seasons. Sure you can always throw out the "you never know"'s for anything. A meteor could smash into the earth tomorrow and destroy the entire planet, but the reality is the odds of that are pretty damned small. When people post stuff like that it isn't to say that it is a 100% guarantee.

I understand this point. It just seems kind of odd to me that all of a sudden multiple guys had extremely bad years. It seems to me that there must be somekind of explanation for this, and it is probably something that we would have no way of knowing. especially when you have others starting out this year (Pulhols) with extremely bad seasons. I realize that we are (supposedly) in the post PED era, but who really knows for sure. I am definitely NOT accusing anyone in particular, but multi million dollar athletes can usually afford to be 1 step ahead of the testing.

I just don't believe that it is a foregone conclusion that the Tigers are a power house getting ready to take off into orbit. They might be, but to me it is more than remotely possible that they wind up, between injuries, bad years, bad defense, average pitching; being a 500 team. It's happened before.

As always, JMHO; & Go Sox!

Maybe last year, the White Sox took on their "bad wrestling" personality and tanked on purpose to get rid of Ozzie?

And now this year they're showing their true baseball selves and playing up to their actual abilities. How can we prove what was really in their hearts? They just weren't trying (seemingly) in 2011, and now they are....so problem solved.

Jake Peavy was just messing with us, same with Dunn and Rios.

Like in the parable in the Bible, they wanted to summon all the doubting Thomases, to see how low attendance could go and fan frustration and despair would mount, what valleys could be reached and denials of our Sox faiths uttered...only to come forth and proclaim their true natures to the unbelievers who had no faith without proof.

(This is fun...whatever we actually see, it's the opposite that we're really seeing. Good is now "bad" and bad is good.)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
Like in the parable in the Bible, they wanted to summon all the doubting Thomases, to see how low attendance could go and fan frustration and despair would mount, what valleys could be reached and denials of our Sox faiths uttered...only to come forth and proclaim their true natures to the unbelievers who had no faith without proof.

(This is fun...whatever we actually see, it's the opposite that we're really seeing. Good is now "bad" and bad is good.)

I believe....Pleae help me in my unbelief!

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 10, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
I think it might be possible that the Nations #1 Sox fan Barack Obama reads our board and even posts under an assumed name

Hmmm...so who could it be?

What might his screen name be?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (kwolf68 @ May 21, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
Literally in tears watching Gio Gonzalez pitch tonight. Absolutely electric stuff.

Definitely would feel much better with Gio having the Danks contract at this point in time.

Water under the bridge. And there was always concern from the day if he was drafted if he had the durability to last as a starter. Question answered.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 21, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
Definitely would feel much better with Gio having the Danks contract at this point in time.

Water under the bridge. And there was always concern from the day if he was drafted if he had the durability to last as a starter. Question answered.

I never understood the injury concern. People speculated he would break down because he wasn't 6'3, 215.

MY ONE issue with Gio was his control.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ May 21, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
Literally in tears watching Gio Gonzalez pitch tonight. Absolutely electric stuff.

He's become one of those guys who I make sure I watch almost every start of. So much fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...