Sox vs Cubs could drop to 3 games a year

southsider2k5

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id...ees-sources-say

HOUSTON -- Major League Baseball is working on a scheduling reconfiguration for the 2013 season and beyond that likely will eliminate the Mets and Yankees as well as other "natural rivals" playing home-and-home, six-game series annually, baseball sources told ESPNNewYork.com.

With the Houston Astros moving to the American League West next season and the leagues becoming balanced at 15 teams apiece, natural rivals throughout baseball no longer will be guaranteed six games a season and home-and-home series, the sources said.

That goes for obvious intracity rivals such as Mets-Yankees and Cubs-White Sox, as well as for more-forced natural rivals such as the San Diego Padres and Seattle Mariners.

The Mets and Yankees will continue to play six games a season -- three apiece at Citi Field and Yankee Stadium -- when the AL East and NL East line up for long-form interleague play every three years.

But in the other seasons, a major league source added, the competition likely will be limited to three games at one ballpark, or two games apiece at each ballpark.

Sources cautioned that the 2013 Major League Baseball schedule, and the precise new configurations, are still being discussed.

The Mets and Yankees annually have played three games apiece in the Bronx and Queens since 1999.

The rivalry typically has been a boon to attendance while also increasing the toughness of the New York teams' schedules relative to their division rivals.

While it increased the difficulty of the Mets' schedule, the Yankees annually playing three games a season at Citi Field has provided a boost to attendance and revenue.

The nine largest crowds at Citi Field during the first three seasons of the stadium's existence were the Yankees' nine visits to Queens -- an average of 41,513 tickets sold per game.

Since interleague play began in 1997, the Mets are 35-49 against the Yankees.

I'm fine with that. The series has definitely lost some of its luster, and playing only one series a year could actually return a little intrigue to it.

Plus, Theo will have the Cubs in the WS for the next 10 years, so it makes the Sox schedule that much easier.

Interleague would be much better if they focused that extra 3 games on teams that don't come to US Cellular often enough. I can handle less Cubs to see matchups against San Francisco, Washington, Miami, Arizona, etc.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 1, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Interleague would be much better if they focused that extra 3 games on teams that don't come to US Cellular often enough. I can handle less Cubs to see matchups against San Francisco, Washington, Miami, Arizona, etc.

You gotta remember though that for every good series, you also get a stinker. You get a down Padres team or a Pirates team or something like that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)
You gotta remember though that for every good series, you also get a stinker. You get a down Padres team or a Pirates team or something like that.

Or a s***ty Cubs team. Every. Year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 1, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
Or a s***ty Cubs team. Every. Year.

One nice thing about the Sox/Cubs matchup...even if one team (or both) are terrible, they both step it up and play like it's a playoff series. Not just because of the fans, but you can feel there's more intensity on the field. Those games are always hard fought.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
One nice thing about the Sox/Cubs matchup...even if one team (or both) are terrible, they both step it up and play like it's a playoff series. Not just because of the fans, but you can feel there's more intensity on the field. Those games are always hard fought.

I don't think that's been the case for a while. Sox/Cubs games don't have the same intensity they used to. Tickets aren't exactly hard to get anymore. It's lost it's luster and good riddance.

Do you think the novelty of inter league play has subsided? I enjoyed it in 2005 when the Sox were in Denver and we were able to take in the series, but really you should be battling teams in your own league for the championship. I know the arguments that can be made about baseball needing to refresh itself and all that and they do make sense, but one of the true beauties of this game is the history. Of couirse you can then argue we shoudn't have a DH, which I think was a good move for half of baseball

I dont hate bu selig like everyone else but don't understand why he changing things up. Now the Astros a central team are stuck like the rangers playing against a bunch of teams that start games 2 hours later than norm and inter league all season long isn't as exciting when it's only during 1 portion of the season.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ May 1, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
I'm fine with three. Six was too much, quite frankly. And as people have pointed out, the rivalry has really declined since we won the Series in '05.

Six games is ideal IMO, but one of the options was two in each park, four games vs. the Cubs. That wouldn't be so bad.

Hate the idea of surrendering nearly 5-7.5% of our guaranteed yearly revenue (if you kick in concessions/merchandising/parking).

And certainly more up for these games as a fan than 90%+ of the other interleague match-ups. This year, not even the Red Sox in town can overcome the weather, fan apathy and elevated prices for "premium games" (if they're still doing that like last season).

It seems only the Yankees' series is enough to draw even somewhat similar numbers to the Cubs, and the Tigers' series drew respectable numbers on Sat/Sun.

Edited by caulfield12

Interleague play really doesn't make much sense in terms of strength of schedule equality between teams, but the Cubs series are always a hell of a lot of fun and generate a lot of revenue.

Also, why can't we have the same rule regarding the DH in both leagues already? Having different rules is just plain stupid.