White Sox vs. Indians 5/2/2012 7:10 PM

Quin

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one of those nights. Easy to manage in hindsight but not a single reliever did his job tonight (save Stewart) so it's tough to argue at this point.

FWIW, I see no indication that we need to be shipping Thornton out. Tonight is the only night he's looked remotely hittable.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
Sure, let him start the inning. But putting him in there against a guy who's so much better against righties than lefties, it just gave him no wiggle room.

If Addison Reed isn't ready to get Jack Hannahan out, he's not ready to be a closer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
Everything was fine until he didn't use Thornton to get Kotchmann (when Ohman was clearly wearing down in a multiple inning performance which he's not used to) and then using Reed against their best RBI guy with a runner already on 2nd.

Or just bringing in Reed one batter earlier, when the runner was only on 1st and you weren't facing Hannahan. That would have been okay, TOO.

I suppose that's good for Reed to get a feel for closing, but not really the ideal position you want to put him in there, that's for sure.

The splits for Hannahan R/L were pretty much irrefutable in terms of the right move there (or not).

I was just basically talking about the people who were saying the Ohman shouldn't have even been entered into a 3-3 game to start the 7th. I get that it was a terrible move not getting Ohman out of there after he gave up the base hit.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 3, 2012 -> 03:53 AM)
Just one of those nights. Easy to manage in hindsight but not a single reliever did his job tonight (save Stewart) so it's tough to argue at this point.

FWIW, I see no indication that we need to be shipping Thornton out. Tonight is the only night he's looked remotely hittable.

Oh come on, saying that it was a mistake to bring in a righty to face the lefty hitter was far from "in hindsight"

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
Oh come on, saying that it was a mistake to bring in a righty to face the lefty hitter was far from "in hindsight"

If (pure speculation) Thornton was definitely your closer tonight, Reed is your only option there. This is probably why he let Ohman walk two lefties in the first place, not wanting to bring in a righty to face several lefties in a row.

Thornton only came in later because it became clear that no closer would be needed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
Pathetic performance after the game was tied at 3.

Clutch hit by Lexi, then miserable baseball.

Love losing games at home.

Love that .500 mark.

Loud angry noises. Shakes fist at the heavens.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 2, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
I would have much rather seen Thorton in for two innings than Ohman, sure. It's really not worth arguing over though because all of Reed, Ohman, and Thorton ended up screwing up.

This whole night proves that the bullpen is paper-thin without Crain available. There just isn't an easy way to maneuver through 3 innings. Starters really need to go 7 for the pen right now.

If Humber would have gotten hit around in the 6th everyone on here would have been completely irate that he even came out to start the inning with his 6 walks and unsharp stuff. Well...he got through it without allowing a run, and no one said anything.

I just think that we all need to understand that right now the Sox only have two guys who can be trusted out of the bullpen. And we can't just pitch Thornton and Reed everytime its a close game. Other guys have to step up. Will Ohman stepped up tonight. He got through 1.2 innings without allowing a run...yes, RV mismanaged the 8th, but I'll be honest with you, I didn't have all that big of a problem with Ohman starting the 8th. This thing had extra's written all over it...the Sox showed no signs of being able to push a run across, and I'm sure RV was just trying to get through another frame without having to turn to Thornton or Reed.

Edited by jeffro2525

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 3, 2012 -> 03:07 AM)
This whole night proves that the bullpen is paper-thin without Crain available. There just isn't an easy way to maneuver through 3 innings. Starters really need to go 7 for the pen right now.

If Humber would have gotten hit around in the 6th everyone on here would have been completely irate that he even came out to start the inning with his 6 walks and unsharp stuff. Well...he got through it without allowing a run, and no one said anything.

I just think that we all need to understand that right now the Sox only have two guys who can be trusted out of the bullpen. And we can't just pitch Thornton and Reed everytime its a close game. Other guys have to step up. Will Ohman stepped up tonight. He got through 1.2 innings without allowing a run...yes, RV mismanaged the 8th, but I'll be honest with you, I didn't have all that big of a problem with Ohman starting the 8th. This thing had extra's written all over it...the Sox showed no signs of pushing a run across and I'm sure RV was just trying to get through another frame without having to turn to Thornton or Reed.

If you're going to let Ohman face Kotchman, then you might as well let him face Hannahan. I have a feeling Ventura left Ohman in to face Kotchman to prevent Brantley from trying to steal.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 3, 2012 -> 03:07 AM)

I just think that we all need to understand that right now the Sox only have two guys who can be trusted out of the bullpen. And we can't just pitch Thornton and Reed everytime its a close game. Other guys have to step up. Will Ohman stepped up tonight. He got through 1.2 innings without allowing a run...yes, RV mismanaged the 8th, but I'll be honest with you, I didn't have all that big of a problem with Ohman starting the 8th. This thing had extra's written all over it...the Sox showed no signs of being able to push a run across, and I'm sure RV was just trying to get through another frame without having to turn to Thornton or Reed.

Very true. I'm surprised Humber got through the sixth.

I really don't like the Sox chances on nights they do not hit home runs and on nights the starters leave after six. No way in hell that bullpen can go unscathed thru three innings except on rare occasions.

Would be nice to beat pathetic teams at home. As long as we win the series I'll be pleased. If we lose the series, what a joke.

Edited by greg775

When/if Santiago becomes reliable (this is still a possibility) and Nate Jones gets more time on the hill, things will look better. Add in Crain and things are fine.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
Pathetic performance after the game was tied at 3.

Clutch hit by Lexi, then miserable baseball.

Love losing games at home.

Love that .500 mark.

And .500 at best is all that's Reinsdorf's offering with this sad sack

One more thing...

I think equally as bad as the 8th inning was Ventura even pitching Thornton in the 9th with the Sox down a run. I'm NOT saying this because Matt was touched up for a few runs, I'm saying this because the Sox are obviously going to have to over-use Thornton and Reed while Crain is out and we don't need them pitching with us down late in ballgames.

In all honesty, the Sox chances of winning this game down a run with 3 outs remaing is >10%. I don't want Reed OR Thornton entering a contest where we have a >10% chance of winning when they enter.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
More loud noises, fist shaking at owners.

Why does this make me think of Sam Worthington in one of those "Titans" movies?

Release the Kraken on Reinsdorf!!! Do it. Now!!

Shakes fists at the heavens and curses at God like Captain Dan in Forrest Gump from the top of the mast.

BTW, we still haven't won a game all season in which we've scored 3 runs or less.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2012 -> 04:34 AM)
BTW, we still haven't won a game all season in which we've scored 3 runs or less.

Sox need some people to step up, as Rios/AJ have tailed off and Konerko has struggled a little since the neck issue. Alexei had a big hit tonight, so hopefully that gets him going. It is pretty ridiculous that the starting 3b has 2 doubles in 77 at bats.

Yeah, in some ways it seems like a miracle we're still at .500.

Then you look at the two blown saves, the quality starts from our rotation, you can easily see 13-11 or 14-10.

But we're not good enough we deserve to be 4-0 against the Indians, that's for sure.