The Avengers/Marvel Comics thread

caulfield12

QUOTE (knightni @ May 8, 2012 -> 01:58 AM)
Waiting to see if DC tries a Superman reboot, then a Wonder Woman film, leading up to a JLA film.

Superman - Batman - Wonder Woman - Aquaman - Green Lantern - Flash

Now that might be interesting.

Superman reboot comes out next May I think, it was originally supposed to be December but they pushed it back.

Wonder Woman is really a hard property to translate, her powers and tricks are really sort of lame. They tried to make a show last year and the pilot was so bad that it never got past that stage.

Aquaman is going to be attempted, whether it is a show or a movie, it has been talked about a lot.

Green Lantern has to be rebooted already, the Ryan Reynolds movie was a travesty.

Flash, I think it could work. Quinarvy, you make fun of Flash as "runs real fast" guy, but Marvel has their own Flash too in Quicksilver.

The JLA Movie could happen. DC is rebooting their comics in a "New 52" Format. Superman will not have the invincibility we all know. Each character will have flaws and "real s*** to deal with". It is a response to the Marvel Ultimates.

JLA vs Avengers? No. That is not Pacquiao vs Mayweather. That is just a fanboy idea that wont be realized. Marvel and DC did their Amalgam/Combined universe comics a while back, it was a fun read, but nothing worth expanding into a full fledged movie.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 8, 2012 -> 01:27 AM)
I'm amped about a Mark Ruffalo Hulk. He captured the tortured soul aspect really, really well.

What about Black Widow or Hawkeye in a combo movie with Fury?

I'd go see a movie with Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Nick Fury, or any combination of the 3. My worry is that since they have a great thing going, I don't want to see it get watered down with too many getting their own movie. I feel like all 3 are great supporting characters and should be involved in the movies of the main 4 characters in someway, just a little skeptical about seeing them have their own movie. Who knows though, maybe it would pay off for Marvel because they could always introduce other characters in the movie as well.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 8, 2012 -> 06:41 AM)
Flash, I think it could work. Quinarvy, you make fun of Flash as "runs real fast" guy, but Marvel has their own Flash too in Quicksilver.

The JLA Movie could happen. DC is rebooting their comics in a "New 52" Format. Superman will not have the invincibility we all know. Each character will have flaws and "real s*** to deal with". It is a response to the Marvel Ultimates.

Yeah, and Quicksilver sure as hell ain't getting a stand alone movie (I hope). He is rumored for Avengers 2 (along with Scarlet Witch) and him and Flash would make good supporting characters (Especially Quicksilver, considering his being a villain, then hero thing) but stand alones for Flash or Quicksilver are bad ideas.

I know about the New 52s, but DC has an issue if they made movies based off those instead. Everyone knows the classic versions of the heroes, the unwavering pillars of perfection. A movie that has Superman not invincible? I just can't see it going over well.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 8, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
Yeah, and Quicksilver sure as hell ain't getting a stand alone movie (I hope). He is rumored for Avengers 2 (along with Scarlet Witch) and him and Flash would make good supporting characters (Especially Quicksilver, considering his being a villain, then hero thing) but stand alones for Flash or Quicksilver are bad ideas.

I know about the New 52s, but DC has an issue if they made movies based off those instead. Everyone knows the classic versions of the heroes, the unwavering pillars of perfection. A movie that has Superman not invincible? I just can't see it going over well.

DC is trying to reboot and compete. If all of your characters are invincibile and infallible, then you arent really setting yourself up in the movie market. There are plenty of Superman stories that have pushed him to the very edge, Brainiac, Doomsday, the Prime storyline. There is a lot they can do with him.

Flash has a pretty long and distinguished history as well, I dont know why you dont like him so much, but he has a pretty large following.

I agree that Marvel is way better off, but DC could make things interesting if they tried to do it right

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 8, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
DC is trying to reboot and compete. If all of your characters are invincibile and infallible, then you arent really setting yourself up in the movie market. There are plenty of Superman stories that have pushed him to the very edge, Brainiac, Doomsday, the Prime storyline. There is a lot they can do with him.

Flash has a pretty long and distinguished history as well, I dont know why you dont like him so much, but he has a pretty large following.

I agree that Marvel is way better off, but DC could make things interesting if they tried to do it right

(Tell me if I'm wrong)....isn't it true that the "Movie" version of Superman, the one I'm used to, is quite a bit more powerful and much closer to invincible than the comic book Superman?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
(Tell me if I'm wrong)....isn't it true that the "Movie" version of Superman, the one I'm used to, is quite a bit more powerful and much closer to invincible than the comic book Superman?

It depends on the timeframe, but for the most part yes. Superman has kind of evolved in different ways. After the death of Superman storyline, his powers varied for a little while, even to the point where he became a being of pure energy. From what I have read about the upcoming movie, it is mostly based on the new 52 Superman mythos, and Superman is a lot more vulnerable than we will expect. And with General Zod, Ursa and Non as his adversaries, there are 3 other beings with the exact same powers he has.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 8, 2012 -> 07:05 PM)
It depends on the timeframe, but for the most part yes. Superman has kind of evolved in different ways. After the death of Superman storyline, his powers varied for a little while, even to the point where he became a being of pure energy. From what I have read about the upcoming movie, it is mostly based on the new 52 Superman mythos, and Superman is a lot more vulnerable than we will expect. And with General Zod, Ursa and Non as his adversaries, there are 3 other beings with the exact same powers he has.

One of the critiques about the "Movie Superman" that I've read at some point is that, like a lot of the movie superheroes, he's too invulnerable. It's not interesting to see a completely powerful god go up against an evil villain, so you have to have something built in the plot line to take away some of those powers (Kryptonite, voluntarily giving up powers, whatever) so that you can put together a storyline with any drama to it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 8, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)

If they are doing the New52s as the basis for the movies, they'll be set. But I don't know how the public would react to new interpretations of such iconic characters.

As for Flash, I don't dislike him, it's just for being one of the big gun, he's kind of lame. He moves fast. Quicksilver on his own would be hella lame, but he's generally part of a team.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 8, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
If they are doing the New52s as the basis for the movies, they'll be set. But I don't know how the public would react to new interpretations of such iconic characters.

As for Flash, I don't dislike him, it's just for being one of the big gun, he's kind of lame. He moves fast. Quicksilver on his own would be hella lame, but he's generally part of a team.

I'm not gonna argue about it anymore, I just think you are selling him short. His speed allows him to do a lot of crazy things

I thought it was just ok. The last hour was great but before that I was actually getting bored. I can see it setting up Thor 2 and another Avengers.

Loved the scene after the very end of the credits. Thought it was funny that they got everyone back together just for that.

It's worth noting that Andrew Garfield (the new Spider-Man) was randomly on The Avengers set while it was filiming. Even though Sony owns the movie rights to Spidey...maybe they reached a deal so that he can be in Avengers 2?

I've always felt Spider-Man was the most "made for movies" superhero, so throwing him in the Avengers sequel could be great.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 8, 2012 -> 10:49 PM)
It's worth noting that Andrew Garfield (the new Spider-Man) was randomly on The Avengers set while it was filiming. Even though Sony owns the movie rights to Spidey...maybe they reached a deal so that he can be in Avengers 2?

I've always felt Spider-Man was the most "made for movies" superhero, so throwing him in the Avengers sequel could be great.

While I was at the midnight showing I heard some fans saying that about Spiderman and I'm not sure if they were making speculations for what they were hoping for or if they actually read something about it, but they were talking about Spiderman and Wolverine being in the Avengers movie sometime. I think getting Wolverine would be a lot harder with Fox owning the rights. Sony on the other hand might not be as hard to work something out for Spiderman. Whether it was hope and speculation or actual facts these guys were talking about, it's a cool topic to discuss.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:37 AM)
While I was at the midnight showing I heard some fans saying that about Spiderman and I'm not sure if they were making speculations for what they were hoping for or if they actually read something about it, but they were talking about Spiderman and Wolverine being in the Avengers movie sometime. I think getting Wolverine would be a lot harder with Fox owning the rights. Sony on the other hand might not be as hard to work something out for Spiderman. Whether it was hope and speculation or actual facts these guys were talking about, it's a cool topic to discuss.

A Secret Wars film series would be great, but the average movie goer would be seriously lost.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 9, 2012 -> 01:08 AM)
In the old Spiderman Cartoon series, there was a time where he got to choose his team of random super heroes to fight a team of villains and was reallllly fun to watch.

What years were they on?

QUOTE (knightni @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:31 AM)
What years were they on?

It was the 90's version of the cartoon, I don't remember what exact season. But I think he chose Capt America, The Incredible Four, Wolverine and they turned the Reptile Doctor from evil to on their team from my memory.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 9, 2012 -> 02:56 AM)
It was the 90's version of the cartoon, I don't remember what exact season. But I think he chose Capt America, The Incredible Four, Wolverine and they turned the Reptile Doctor from evil to on their team from my memory.

Gotcha. I remember the 80s version where he was in college and the old 70s version with the bad animation but the catchy theme song.

I watched the 90s version but it strayed so much from the comic books that it wasn't as fun to watch as the X-Men cartoon series.