The Avengers/Marvel Comics thread

caulfield12

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ May 8, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)
I thought it was just ok. The last hour was great but before that I was actually getting bored. I can see it setting up Thor 2 and another Avengers.

I liked it more than ok, but I agree with you. I thought it was a bit long in the beginning.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
What they should do is forget X-Men: The Last Stand existed and re-do what it was supposed to be. The Dark Phoenix saga.

The rest of this thread has been nerds jerking off to geeky comic book stories, but this one I'll support. I remember the Phoenix from the X-Men cartoons and was hoping they would do something, anything with it. Instead all of the X-Men movies have been a disappointment. At least Wolverine's origin story was good (I can't fathom why so many people didn't like it).

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 12, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)
I liked it more than ok, but I agree with you. I thought it was a bit long in the beginning.

The rest of this thread has been nerds jerking off to geeky comic book stories, but this one I'll support. I remember the Phoenix from the X-Men cartoons and was hoping they would do something, anything with it. Instead all of the X-Men movies have been a disappointment. At least Wolverine's origin story was good (I can't fathom why so many people didn't like it).

because it sucked. the end

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 12, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)

Before Cyclops and the movie director left, X-Men last stand was the Dark Phoenix saga.

I saw Avengers over the weekend, and I just don't understand all the praise it's getting.

There was never a real "oh s***, they're f'd" moment in the movie, at least to me;

When the giant flying "snake" like creatures came out of the portal, Hulk just punches one in the face and kills it.

Any time Loki tries to do anything, he is easly defeated (shot on the plane, Hulk smashes him easily, etc.)

The Hulk is tearing up their hovercraft, so they just distract him and shoot him out of the plane, problem solved.

And can someone PLEASE explain to me how the Hulk goes from out of control, to being able to control himself without any explanation ("I'm always mad" explains nothing)

It just seemed like "Here's a bad guy, ok done, onto the next one," with no real dangers.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ May 16, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)

And can someone PLEASE explain to me how the Hulk goes from out of control, to being able to control himself without any explanation ("I'm always mad" explains nothing)

Both of these were quasi-dealt with in the last Hulk movie. Norton's character, in the final fight scene, starts talking about how he's hoping he can try to direct the Hulk, just by keeping in mind who the bad guy really is, and that leads to the fight with the abomination. Similarly, they discuss that topic when Liv Tyler's character notes that the Hulk acted to protect her, "like it knew her", and maybe just the Hulk is still him but he's completely overloaded in that state. And in the last scene in the Hulk movie, we see Norton practicing turning himself into the Hulk just by focusing/meditating, triggering the event on his own with no outside stimulus.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)

Both of these were quasi-dealt with in the last Hulk movie. Norton's character, in the final fight scene, starts talking about how he's hoping he can try to direct the Hulk, just by keeping in mind who the bad guy really is, and that leads to the fight with the abomination. Similarly, they discuss that topic when Liv Tyler's character notes that the Hulk acted to protect her, "like it knew her", and maybe just the Hulk is still him but he's completely overloaded in that state. And in the last scene in the Hulk movie, we see Norton practicing turning himself into the Hulk just by focusing/meditating, triggering the event on his own with no outside stimulus.

And the first time, he felt betrayed and scared. The second time he was merely letting his inner rage go, his anger at his situation, at his being the Hulk.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ May 16, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
I saw Avengers over the weekend, and I just don't understand all the praise it's getting.

There was never a real "oh s***, they're f'd" moment in the movie, at least to me;

When the giant flying "snake" like creatures came out of the portal, Hulk just punches one in the face and kills it.

Any time Loki tries to do anything, he is easly defeated (shot on the plane, Hulk smashes him easily, etc.)

The Hulk is tearing up their hovercraft, so they just distract him and shoot him out of the plane, problem solved.

It just seemed like "Here's a bad guy, ok done, onto the next one," with no real dangers.

So when Loki showed up at the beginning, and the entire SHIELD agency sank into a neverending hole, that wasnt a "OH s***, THEY ARE f***ED" moment? Also, when the Hovercraft lost an engine and was about to plummet to the ground, that was quite a Oh s*** moment as well. Hard to complain about this for me, you knew the Avengers were going to win in the end.

Hulk wasnt shot out of the hovercraft, he fought Thor and went after the fighter pilot that was lighting him up and fell when the plane crashed.

Loki turned all of the main characters against each other and also took out Coulson. I would say added to the destruction of NYC, he had a pretty good day

I kind of agree with Alexei. The plot of The Avengers left a lot to be desired for me. I don't really have much of anything specific to cite as for why it didn't seem special, other than the fact that it never really built any suspense, mystery, or even a "wow I really couldn't have seen that coming" type moment.

Did anybody actually care about the whole "what is Nick Fury hiding from us" bit?

Obviously, generating suspense is tough to do when everybody knows how the movie will end, but it's something that made the Nolan Batman movies particularly good, in my opinion.

Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed The Avengers for what it was--a mostly mindless action movie with surprisingly good humor. But, I was never really interested in the story line much at all, and for a 2.5 hour long movie, that's kind of a problem. It was an entertaining movie, but for me it definitely did not live up to the hype (though still good).

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
There is pictures of the Iron Patriot suit on set for Iron Man 3, so it looks like the Extremis storyline is a go.

My big hope is that coupled with Andrew Garfield hanging around the Avengers set with Robert Downey Jr., the Iron Patriot suit might mean that Columbia would greenlight Spidey being put into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
My big hope is that coupled with Andrew Garfield hanging around the Avengers set with Robert Downey Jr., the Iron Patriot suit might mean that Columbia would greenlight Spidey being put into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I'm gonna doubt very much that Spidermans rights are going to go back to Marvel. Especially given the fact that it looks like Spiderman is going to be pretty good

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
I'm gonna doubt very much that Spidermans rights are going to go back to Marvel. Especially given the fact that it looks like Spiderman is going to be pretty good

They could do what Paramount did though, Just let Spider-Man be in the Avengers movies/MCU movies for royalties from the films. It's basically free money for Sony, and doesn't Sony need a little cash anway? That way Sony retains the Spider-Man rights, but basically allows him to crossover into the other films.

I agree with you, I want it too. But if it were that easy, you would think it would have been done already.

On a related note, it really sucks that the Marvel franchises have been spread out so much to different production companies. Especially now that they are being woven together like we are currently seeing.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 05:18 PM)
I agree with you, I want it too. But if it were that easy, you would think it would have been done already.

On a related note, it really sucks that the Marvel franchises have been spread out so much to different production companies. Especially now that they are being woven together like we are currently seeing.

I know, just saying it gives me hope since the Iron Patriot was Norman Osborn and Garfield was on the Avengers set. Just fanboy hope.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)
I know, just saying it gives me hope since the Iron Patriot was Norman Osborn and Garfield was on the Avengers set. Just fanboy hope.

Check out screenrant.com. The writeup for iron patriot went up yesterday, and what they are saying about it is very plausible