The Avengers/Marvel Comics thread

caulfield12

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
Talking raccoon?

If he's directing it, it'll be good.

The Guardians of the Galaxy line-up:

Star-Lord: Basically, a half-human/half-alien who serves as the commander of the Guardians, an intergalactic Avengers.

Drax the Destroyer: A man created to kill Thanos, the villain shown at the end of Avengers.

Gamora: Thanos's adopted daughter. Highly skilled assassin. Has some daddy issues.

Rocket Raccoon: Think Bender from Futurama, but with more guns and a raccoon.

Groot: A giant, talking tree. Vocal cords are so deep most people only here him say "I am Groot" despite his massive intelligence.

Unconfirmed for movie:

Adam Warlock: Think Dr. Strange, but intergalactic. Also has a Soul Gem in his forehead, which is something that Thanos covets for the Infinity Gauntlet (located in Odin's Vault in Thor) and is Thanos's mortal enemy.

Quasar: Gains powers from Quantum Bands, like Green Lantern's ring.

Nova: Not a Guardian per se, but another Green Lantern Corps-esque hero.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
The Guardians of the Galaxy line-up:

Star-Lord: Basically, a half-human/half-alien who serves as the commander of the Guardians, an intergalactic Avengers.

Drax the Destroyer: A man created to kill Thanos, the villain shown at the end of Avengers.

Gamora: Thanos's adopted daughter. Highly skilled assassin. Has some daddy issues.

Rocket Raccoon: Think Bender from Futurama, but with more guns and a raccoon.

Groot: A giant, talking tree. Vocal cords are so deep most people only here him say "I am Groot" despite his massive intelligence.

Unconfirmed for movie:

Adam Warlock: Think Dr. Strange, but intergalactic. Also has a Soul Gem in his forehead, which is something that Thanos covets for the Infinity Gauntlet (located in Odin's Vault in Thor) and is Thanos's mortal enemy.

Quasar: Gains powers from Quantum Bands, like Green Lantern's ring.

Nova: Not a Guardian per se, but another Green Lantern Corps-esque hero.

Wow. That sounds like a terrible movie.

Really wish they did something more interesting and relevant like Black Panther or Namor

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)

Really wish they did something more interesting and relevant like Black Panther or Namor

Black Panther is in the works. For some reason Namor and Aquaman are both having a lot of problems getting traction.

Guardians of the Galaxy is kind of a necessary movie if they want to continue on with Thanos.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
Black Panther is in the works. For some reason Namor and Aquaman are both having a lot of problems getting traction.

Guardians of the Galaxy is kind of a necessary movie if they want to continue on with Thanos.

Oh, ok. I'm not really familiar with the whole Marvel Universe, just some of the larger characters/groups.

As for Namor, if you look at the board at SHIELD in the post credits scene or Ironman 2, there is a mark on the map in the middle of the Atlantic that would seem to hint at Namor

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)

Apparently the script is fantastic, which is why it got greenlit.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)

I think a Guardians of the Galaxy movie could cost the Marvel movie franchises every bit of momentum they have built up over the last few years. I can't see any circumstances under which that film could be done well.

I love some of the classic cosmic Marvel universe, but outside of the original Lee and Kirby canonical cosmic elements, I think only Roy Thomas and Jim Starlin did a very good job with the stuff. I thought the original Guardians of the Galaxy was probably the hokiest Marvel team ever. Even reading those stories at 8 or 10 years old, I couldn't get past the fact that two of the main main characters were supposed to be from Jupiter and Pluto which every 8 or 10 year old kid knows are either uninhabitable gas giants or uninhabitable ice balls. With an ENTIRE galaxy of hypothetical exotic planets of origin, Arnold Drake decides that Jupiter and Pluto are the best backstory for two of the main characters. Vance Astro was also a horrible character in all his incarnations.

I really hope they don't waste their time on trying to put this mess or any other later versions of it on film.

Clip from a Marvel short "Item 47"

So you know whats going on, these two find a Chitauri weapon in the aftermath of the Avengers, and decide to go on a little crime spree with it, until S.H.I.E.L.D. shows up. The full short will be on the Avengers DVD

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 03:10 AM)
One thing that will help GotG is that supposedly Thor will be in it.

The problem with it is the casual fan isn't going to go see this more than likely.. the casual fan knows Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Etc. they will see this and go WTF?

Most likely the same with stuff like Antman and the Black Panther films, I get that the popularity of superhero movies is booming but these aren't going to appeal to the casual fan.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
The problem with it is the casual fan isn't going to go see this more than likely.. the casual fan knows Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Etc. they will see this and go WTF?

Most likely the same with stuff like Antman and the Black Panther films, I get that the popularity of superhero movies is booming but these aren't going to appeal to the casual fan.

Casual fans did not know Thor.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
Women enjoy Chris Hemsworth and Idris Elba more than a talking raccoon and tree.

True

But this will all be moot if John DiMaggio voices Rocket Raccoon.

And they can get eye-candy for Star-Lord/Peter Quill and Gamora. The person I've seen most sites think should be Gamora is Olivia Wilde.

There is a high probability that GotG is a flop, at least by Marvel standards. At best it will probably be A cult favorite. It is a very strange property, it doesn't relate to earth at all, the characters are very strange and will be hard to adapt to the semi-realism that Marvel is trying to put into the series.

Hopefully it is a fun action movie, but it will be difficult.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 08:34 PM)
There is a high probability that GotG is a flop, at least by Marvel standards. At best it will probably be A cult favorite. It is a very strange property, it doesn't relate to earth at all, the characters are very strange and will be hard to adapt to the semi-realism that Marvel is trying to put into the series.

Hopefully it is a fun action movie, but it will be difficult.

I agree with the sentiments that it'll be hard to pull off, but if the following happens I can see it succeeding.

1) Thor: DW and Captain America: WS lead into it somewhat. Maybe Captain America through a post credits.

2) Go with some well known actors for the leads. Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans are fantastic actors, but a bigger name is need for GotG.

3) Iron Man 3, Captain America: WS, and Thor: DW all need to have great receptions, so Marvel can ride the wave of popularity.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
Women enjoy Chris Hemsworth and Idris Elba more than a talking raccoon and tree.

The main audience for these movies are guys and I had to google Idris Elba so I don't think most women know who he is. Plus Thor was really Hemsworth first movie that would get him noticed. Thor is just a better character and plays on ancient mythology which has always been popular in movies and tv shows. Nobody has heard of any of these galactic superheros and Antman and they don't have the draw as guys like Thor/IronMan/Spiderman/etc.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)

That's why I made the comment I did above. I doubt I am going to see this movie. I don't know anything about Black Panther, but if I saw how it tied in by his introduction in an upcoming film I would probably go see it

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
I agree with the sentiments that it'll be hard to pull off, but if the following happens I can see it succeeding.

1) Thor: DW and Captain America: WS lead into it somewhat. Maybe Captain America through a post credits.

2) Go with some well known actors for the leads. Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans are fantastic actors, but a bigger name is need for GotG.

3) Iron Man 3, Captain America: WS, and Thor: DW all need to have great receptions, so Marvel can ride the wave of popularity.

Highly doubtful that Cap is leaving earth. The tie-in will be at thor, and probably nothing else but Avengers 2

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)
The main audience for these movies are guys and I had to google Idris Elba so I don't think most women know who he is. Plus Thor was really Hemsworth first movie that would get him noticed. Thor is just a better character and plays on ancient mythology which has always been popular in movies and tv shows. Nobody has heard of any of these galactic superheros and Antman and they don't have the draw as guys like Thor/IronMan/Spiderman/etc.

The secret to major box office success is to get both sexes to want to watch the film. That was my main point.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Highly doubtful that Cap is leaving earth. The tie-in will be at thor, and probably nothing else but Avengers 2

Maybe something like Fury walking up to Cap.

Cap: "Got another mission for me sir?"

Fury: "This ain't a normal mission Cap. This one is out of this world."

/cheesy

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
The secret to major box office success is to get both sexes to want to watch the film. That was my main point.

And my point was women didn't see Thor because the actors were good looking, especially actors that were not popular before the movie.