The Avengers/Marvel Comics thread

caulfield12

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
How casual are we going? A few of my friends knew Spider-Man and the X-Men. Captain America and Iron Man was pushing it.

I think most guys in the 18-35 or whatever the main target age group all know SpiderMan and X-Men from watching cartoons as kids at the very least and knew about Captain America. Iron Man and Thor I don't think the casual fan knew their storyline but have heard about them.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
I think most guys in the 18-35 or whatever the main target age group all know SpiderMan and X-Men from watching cartoons as kids at the very least and knew about Captain America. Iron Man and Thor I don't think the casual fan knew their storyline but have heard about them.

Its hard for any guy in that range to not know about Spiderman and X-Men. Before I even knew all about Thor I could remember him from that movie Adventures in Babysitting. Iron Man I think would at least be known by most people, even if you didn't know that much about him.

Even with Thor, hes not just a Marvel thing. Some people could know who Thor is without even knowing he has anything to do with comics.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)

Very true for me. I'd make one change, and it's that I didn't know Captain America's storyline either.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 12:44 AM)
Its hard for any guy in that range to not know about Spiderman and X-Men. Before I even knew all about Thor I could remember him from that movie Adventures in Babysitting. Iron Man I think would at least be known by most people, even if you didn't know that much about him.

Even with Thor, hes not just a Marvel thing. Some people could know who Thor is without even knowing he has anything to do with comics.

That's what he's saying. I'd heard about all of them, but (Thor especially) I had no idea what their origins were.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
That's what he's saying. I'd heard about all of them, but (Thor especially) I had no idea what their origins were.

I know, I was pretty much just agreeing with him and throwing in my own little note. I just dont think these obscure Marvel characters are going to have anywhere near the success that we have seen with whats already come out.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
I know, I was pretty much just agreeing with him and throwing in my own little note. I just dont think these obscure Marvel characters are going to have anywhere near the success that we have seen with whats already come out.

I dont think they expect some of the lesser characters to have the success of cap/iron man/spiderman etc, but I think Marvel finds it important to at least give some of them movies to see how they test with audiences. Im sure some of them will bomb and will not be touched again, but I think there will also be some surprise hits. Ant-Man and Black Panther arent as obscure as you think they are. Guardians of the Galaxy, that is pretty obscure.

But, just like the comics themselves, these characters are there and there are writers/directors who want to tell their story.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
I dont think they expect some of the lesser characters to have the success of cap/iron man/spiderman etc, but I think Marvel finds it important to at least give some of them movies to see how they test with audiences. Im sure some of them will bomb and will not be touched again, but I think there will also be some surprise hits. Ant-Man and Black Panther arent as obscure as you think they are. Guardians of the Galaxy, that is pretty obscure.

But, just like the comics themselves, these characters are there and there are writers/directors who want to tell their story.

Dont get me wrong, im all for Marvel to keep pumping out movies because I love those kind of movies. I am just not all that interested in Ant-Man or Black Panther. Ide rather them come out with a Deadpool movie or get things rolling out faster for the movies im really anticipating.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
Dont get me wrong, im all for Marvel to keep pumping out movies because I love those kind of movies. I am just not all that interested in Ant-Man or Black Panther. Ide rather them come out with a Deadpool movie or get things rolling out faster for the movies im really anticipating.

X Men Origins: Wolverine derailed Deadpool so bad it isnt even funny. I think they are waiting for everyone to forget what they did to his character

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
X Men Origins: Wolverine derailed Deadpool so bad it isnt even funny. I think they are waiting for everyone to forget what they did to his character

Thats why I want them to make his own movie, they did no justice to Deadpool.. it has to be fixed

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)

I'm not a big comic fan by any means but I knew the storylines of Capt America, IronMan, etc. even Green Lantern I knew about. I have honestly never heard of Black Panther and only thing I remember about Ant-Man is he gets really big and small... If I consider myself above avg in knowing the superheroes and I have no idea who they are I consider them obscure. That being said if they are well done and the previews look interesting I will still probably end up seeing them just don't see the more casual moviegoer being interested.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
Thats why I want them to make his own movie, they did no justice to Deadpool.. it has to be fixed

According to Ryan Renolds, a Deadpool movie will have nothing to do with X-Men Origins. Which is good, cause that sucked.

Hopefully they give him his damn costume.

Marvel Phase Two: What We Know

Excerpt

No one can doubt that this has been a great summer for superhero movies. The Avengers kicked it off with the best ensemble-cast superhero movie of all time as it assaulted box office records. The Amazing Spider-Man rebooted a movie franchise from only five years ago, but stayed truer to the comic books and removed the sour taste of Spider-Man 3 from our collective mouths. Finally The Dark Knight Rises, released this past weekend (Flapship.com review here), concluded one of cinema’s most epic sagas as it tries to assault the box office like The Avengers.

It’ll continue as well. While The Dark Knight Rises was the last Batman movie (or so we think), The Avengers only finished Marvel Phase 1 of Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger. Now, Marvel has completely unveiled its Marvel Phase Two slate; Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ant-Man. Let’s examine each of those a bit closer, shall we? Read More.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)

If all of these possible charecters who are mentioned to be in the movies, I have a hard time believing that Marvel would actually put 24 super heroes in 1 movie. That would be enormously crowded for one movie.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
If all of these possible charecters who are mentioned to be in the movies, I have a hard time believing that Marvel would actually put 24 super heroes in 1 movie. That would be enormously crowded for one movie.

All those heroes will be in the movies listed.

I just basically said they'll have a roster of twenty five to pick from for Avengers 2.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 11:50 PM)
Hulk will be eased out of the film.

If crowds hadn't adored Mark Ruffalo, I could see that.

But Mark Ruffalo has them reconsidering a Hulk solo film and is one of Marvel's big guns. I see Hawkeye being phased out before Hulk.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)
If crowds hadn't adored Mark Ruffalo, I could see that.

But Mark Ruffalo has them reconsidering a Hulk solo film and is one of Marvel's big guns. I see Hawkeye being phased out before Hulk.

It isnt reconsidered, it is in the works. I believe Ruffalo signed a 5-6 movie deal with Marvel.

Edit: It is 6

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
So was Sebastian Stan (Bucky), but for Hulk it probably means solo movie.

Well yeah, but Bucky returns as the Winter Soldier, so he is also basically getting his own movie too

It comes down to this, Hulk is getting his own movie(s) AND will make some guest appearances with Ruffalo as Bruce Banner.

• 2 weeks later...

Days of Future Past is the next installment of the X-Men: First Class.

This makes me happy. I assume at the very least they will have to pull Kitty and Logan in from the original film trilogy if they are going to nail core story elements from the comic. Hands-down this was my favorite Claremont/Byrne storyline, and I'm excited to see they are finally tackling a film adaptation.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
Days of Future Past is the next installment of the X-Men: First Class.

This makes me happy. I assume at the very least they will have to pull Kitty and Logan in from the original film trilogy if they are going to nail core story elements from the comic. Hands-down this was my favorite Claremont/Byrne storyline, and I'm excited to see they are finally tackling a film adaptation.

I wonder if Jackman has already agreed to it