Stults or Axelrod could start in doubleheader

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1646865.story

Starter looming: The Sox can expand their roster to 26 players for Monday's doubleheader in Cleveland under rules of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. All signs point to left-hander Eric Stults receiving a promotion, and a start.

Stults is 1-1 with a 2.08 ERA for Triple-A Charlotte and is scheduled to pitch Wednesday at Lehigh Valley. The Sox have room on their 40-man roster to promote the left-hander, who has an 8-10 record over parts of the last four seasons with the Dodgers and Rockies.

Stults would seem to match up favorably against the Indians' predominantly left-handed hitting lineup.

Another starter possibility is Dylan Axelrod, who was promoted Friday as a reliever.

QUOTE (Cali @ May 2, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
So basically count on at least one loss in the doubleheader.

Cleveland will probably have to do the same thing. Then again, we know how successful the Sox are the first time around vs. AAA pitchers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Are they kidding, no Zach Stewart??

What are they thinking?? C'mon, Sox braintrust!

The idea is to have a little disruption as possible to the rotation and the pen. If you burn Stewart, you lose a reliever for at least five days.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 2, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
Has Stewart really been that bad outside of that one terrible outing?

Regardless, I'd rather see Axelrod start if possible.

He's given up a lot of hard hit balls this year. Not sure what happened to his velocity, but a 89 mph sinker without a lot of sink just isn't MLB caliber.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
No one. A new bit in the latest CBA allows for one extra roster spot on the day of a doubleheader.

Duh, I knew that. It's hard to remember when MLB actually does something right for a change.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 2, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
If Humber stinks tonight, I hope his wife goes into labor between now and Monday, so he can go on paternity and skip a start. Then just go with Stults and Molina next Monday, who both started today.

And sacrifice two games? No matter how Humber does tonight, he's still gives us a better chance to win than anyone in the minors.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
And sacrifice two games? No matter how Humber does tonight, he's still gives us a better chance to win than anyone in the minors.

If he's bad again tonight, I'd like him to catch his breath baseball-wise, skip a start, be with his new kid, and we'll see him May 13th.

The Indians will have to bring up somebody too, so it's not like it's a lost game before it even starts.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
Who was that big guy we had who threw mid to high 90's with no control (pretty much) and he blew out his arm last year?

I think we signed him as a minor league FA. Shane Lindsay? Forgot we briefly used Josh Kinney last year, too.

Threets.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 2, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
If Humber stinks tonight, I hope his wife goes into labor between now and Monday, so he can go on paternity and skip a start. Then just go with Stults and Molina next Monday, who both started today.

Well, she had the baby last night, so I guess that answers that. I just didn't want Humber to get to Cleveland, get ready to pitch Monday, and then have to turn around and the Sox have nobody to pitch other than Stewart.

I'll just assume it's Humber and Axelrod next Monday, and Stults gets the call up as backup if either gets shelled early.