NATO in Chicago

southsider2k5

Things like this remind me of the Blizzard in the 90's (I think it was the 90's) where Daley was buried (pun intended) for not being prepared. So after that, at any threat of a big storm, the salt trucks are out whether it snows 20" or 1/2".

Is it better to be overprepared? Not sure the answer, but I do know hindsight is 20/20.

PS...I'm a contractor, so I have to be here. Unfortunately, my client can work from home....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
Things like this remind me of the Blizzard in the 90's (I think it was the 90's) where Daley was buried (pun intended) for not being prepared. So after that, at any threat of a big storm, the salt trucks are out whether it snows 20" or 1/2".

Is it better to be overprepared? Not sure the answer, but I do know hindsight is 20/20.

PS...I'm a contractor, so I have to be here. Unfortunately, my client can work from home....

That was Bilandic, and it was in the 70's. While there was a big storm in 1999, Daley was prepared and the salt trucks were out, it just happened to fall on New Years weekend, but they still cleaned things up pretty fast. Chicago has sent salt trucks out no matter how much snow falls since the Bilandic incident in the 70's, though.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
Daley did get it for the groundhogs day blizzard, but yeah, the historical reference is Bilandec who ended up losing to Jane Byrne because of it.

He's talking about the New Years weekend Blizzard in 99. The Groundhogs Day blizzard was in 2011.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 3, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
That was Bilandic, and it was in the 70's. While there was a big storm in 1999, Daley was prepared and the salt trucks were out, it just happened to fall on New Years weekend, but they still cleaned things up pretty fast. Chicago has sent salt trucks out no matter how much snow falls since the Bilandic incident in the 70's, though.

I knew about that one...but that wasn't the one I was referring to...it was the New Years '99 blizzard. Daley was compared to Bilandic that year and ever since then, he had the trucks out and at the ready...whether it snowed hard or hardly at all.

And yes, I had a "I Survived the Blizzard of '77" t-shirt. Just like Ray Raynor.

No backpacks or coffee on Metra among other things

Safety measures affecting passengers during the summit

Metra has implemented a wide range of safety measures during the NATO Summit. Passengers may see an increased law enforcement presence and K-9 units.

In addition, the following safety measures apply to riders of all Metra lines during the three days (May 19, 20 and 21) of the summit:

1.Riders may be subject to search and/or screening before boarding or while en route.

2.Riders may carry only one bag not exceeding 15 inches square and 4 inches deep. Boxes, parcels, luggage, backpacks and bicycles will not be allowed on trains. Banned items cannot be stored at Metra stations. They must be removed or they will be disposed of.

3.Riders may not carry any food or liquids on the trains. This includes coffee and other beverages.

4.Riders may not carry any type of tools, pipes, stakes, wood or weapons, including pocket knives and pepper spray, on the trains.

5.Law enforcement personnel must identify themselves and present their credentials and any weapons. Security guards will not be allowed to carry any weapons onboard.

15 square inches is slightly larger than a 4x3 notecard. Gotta assume they mean 15"x15"x4" but that's still tiny.

My conspiracy-theory-addicted brother is convinced the whole NATO summit is a fraud and that they're using these measures as an excuse to arrest thousands of people speaking out against the government/illuminati.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 11, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
15 square inches is slightly larger than a 4x3 notecard. Gotta assume they mean 15"x15"x4" but that's still tiny.

My conspiracy-theory-addicted brother is convinced the whole NATO summit is a fraud and that they're using these measures as an excuse to arrest thousands of people speaking out against the government/illuminati.

I was going with the theory that this is a gigantic excuse for Chicago to be the benefactor of federally funded police/riot equipment.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
The lockdown is already starting. Just getting into the Sears Tower is now official a hassle.

I have alot of customers in the loop, CNA, BCBS, Harris, etc and most of them are required to stay home this week. Pretty smart idea.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
I have alot of customers in the loop, CNA, BCBS, Harris, etc and most of them are required to stay home this week. Pretty smart idea.

I think most of us are going to work remote on Monday. I will at the end of the week too if the situation dictates.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
I think most of us are going to work remote on Monday. I will at the end of the week too if the situation dictates.

I know CNA gave some of their folks 2 extra vacay days to stay away, I would have been f***ing elated for something like that if I was them.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 4, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
I knew about that one...but that wasn't the one I was referring to...it was the New Years '99 blizzard. Daley was compared to Bilandic that year and ever since then, he had the trucks out and at the ready...whether it snowed hard or hardly at all.

And yes, I had a "I Survived the Blizzard of '77" t-shirt. Just like Ray Raynor.

It's going to really suck in 20 years when I'm the old guy making these references in the Soxtalk virtual meeting and game room.