NATO in Chicago

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:32 AM)
It's going to really suck in 20 years when I'm the old guy making these references in the Soxtalk virtual meeting and game room.

Who you callin' old, whippersnapper? And stay off my lawn!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
Add in a dose of "Rahm", that has to fit in there somewhere.

So the players are in place, but what does this do for the City other than cause the residents (and businesses) a gigantic f***ing headache.

One of the guys in my office has a friend that works at the Merc Exchange. According to him (who knows if this is true) some asshole dropped a bag of vomit on him from the L platform over on Wells. In talking to the cops about it apparently they fear this will be a common thing, in addition to bags/jars of piss and s***. Hence the "dress down" suggestion.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
Tourism. Economic mini-boomlet

It's a summer weekend in Chicago, when 90% of the hotels are full anyway. And really, TONS of offices are closing for Friday and Monday (if not more) and travel is restricted in certain areas, so the local economy is hurt just as much as it's helped because of this. Add the extra cost for all the security and inevitable damage to property. I bet this thing ends up costing more money than it's bringing in.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
It's a summer weekend in Chicago, when 90% of the hotels are full anyway. And really, TONS of offices are closing for Friday and Monday (if not more) and travel is restricted in certain areas, so the local economy is hurt just as much as it's helped because of this. Add the extra cost for all the security and inevitable damage to property. I bet this thing ends up costing more money than it's bringing in.

The financial and government sections will be desolate.

exactly

Olympics would have been awesome, Chicago could have gotten federal funding for improving infrastructure and I could have gone to the Olympics in my home city.

I would absolutely love to see an Olympics in Chicago or Indy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
So only do we have turnstiles which you need an ID to get through, they also have put the same thing on the elevators, which you have to get through the turnstiles to get on to. They even have most of Financial Plaza blocked off.

But don't you feel safer?

Not during but for years afterwards. Lots of free publicity going out worldwide. There will be plenty of location shots that highlight the city.