5/2 Games (Molina goes)

caulfield12

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...jaxaax_biraax_1

Decent, "quality" start but nothing special.

Still has an over .300 BAA and almost 10 more hits than IP. Sub 4.00 ERA and great BB/IP ratio, but nevertheless at LEAST 3-4 months away.

Mitchell with his 6th double, BB, and 2 K's.

Saladino with 2 AB, 2 runs scored and 3 walks.

5-5 tie late, bottom of the 9th in BIRM.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 2, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
According to the Kannapolis twitter Daniel Webb is throwing 95-99 out of the bullpen tonight. I guess that's why the Sox got him.

Weird that Wsox seemingly prefer starters with only avg. velocity fastballs and like all their bullpen guys to throw minimum 95.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 2, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
Weird that Wsox seemingly prefer starters with only avg. velocity fastballs and like all their bullpen guys to throw minimum 95.

I don't know that that's true. I think it's more that if you have a below average fastball you better have good secondary stuff if you're going to be a starter. A guy like Petricka throws hard, but he doesn't have the secondary stuff so he profiles as a reliever even though the Sox would prefer him as a starter. Not to mention Webb had been a starter before sucking this season. That was his second relief appearance after four starts.

Oh and links...

Dash @ Potomac

Petricka start 7 K, 0 BB

Augusta @ Intimidators

Pangilinan HR

Phil Rogers

Also In Chicago Cubs

Interesting change for the Birmingham Barons on Wednesday. The White Sox switched Tyler Saladino to 2B and Drew Garcia to SS. That makes sense long-term for Saladino as Alexei Ramirez is locked in at short but Ken Williams could pull the plug on Gordon Beckham if he stays below the Mendoza line.

Is this accurate?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
There's one problem there, it makes just as much or perhaps more sense to be replacing Morel.

You could write the same blurb and say Conor Jackson's been moved over to 3B in preparation for a possible Morel to Charlotte transaction.

Morel should have a longer leash than Beckham.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 2, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
Is this accurate?

Yes. But regardless of everything, he needs work on his defense. He did hustle his ass off today on the bases.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
There's one problem there, it makes just as much or perhaps more sense to be replacing Morel.

You could write the same blurb and say Conor Jackson's been moved over to 3B in preparation for a possible Morel to Charlotte transaction.

Man, you take an interesting tidbit and run with it until the horse is dead and bleeding.

I still am not impressed with Molina so far. He does have a good change-up, I think it's a change-up. He ran it in on the hands of a righty and completely buckled him. But he got hit hard today and his fastball was flat. Jacksonville is a poor hitting team and they hammered his fastball.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 2, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
Man, you take an interesting tidbit and run with it until the horse is dead and bleeding.

We all knew they were going to have to move Saladino at some point, so it might as well be now.

It was simply a matter of whether he was better suited for 3B rather than 2B.

He probably profiles as more a "plus" player offensively in the middle infield, although I doubt he has anything close to Beckham's overall range at 2B.

The question is which eventuality is most likely...Beckham can put up a 700-725 OPS again or Morel can put up a 750? Beckham has at least proven he can do that for a 3-4 month stretch (yes, the counter to that is even Mark Teahen did it once in his career with KC)...Morel's done it for 6 weeks in mostly "garbage" time in the midst of multiple meaningless games when lots of inexperienced pitchers were on the mound against him.

Not just because of the game he homered, but just in general, I'd argue that Beckham still has more potential going forward than Morel. I know you and Balta and others will disagree, that's fine.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2012 -> 12:37 AM)
We all knew they were going to have to move Saladino at some point, so it might as well be now.

It was simply a matter of whether he was better suited for 3B rather than 2B.

He probably profiles as more a "plus" player offensively in the middle infield, although I doubt he has anything close to Beckham's overall range at 2B.

The question is which eventuality is most likely...Beckham can put up a 700-725 OPS again or Morel can put up a 750? Beckham has at least proven he can do that for a 3-4 month stretch (yes, the counter to that is even Mark Teahen did it once in his career with KC)...Morel's done it for 6 weeks in mostly "garbage" time in the midst of multiple meaningless games when lots of inexperienced pitchers were on the mound against him.

Not just because of the game he homered, but just in general, I'd argue that Beckham still has more potential going forward than Morel. I know you and Balta and others will disagree, that's fine.

1. Yada yada yada yada yada.

2. Bang the drum slowly.

3. And the band played on...

4. ...the one on the Titanic.

5. Do you sometimes notice you're having a conversation with yourself?

Edited by JPN366