scammer Sarah Phillips via deadspin

I couldn't pass up sharing this story, it is so bold and crazy, I just wonder how far this girl could have gone without deadspin catching wind of it.

www.deadspin.com/5906658/is-an-espn-columnist-scamming-people-on-the-internet

in one of the links from the deadspin article, I have a comment on page 1 of one of "her" articles. haha

Posted by zenmachine

12 months ago

Stealing Facebook photos from other people and using them to portray yourself isnt very nice

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 2, 2012 -> 09:32 PM)
Can someone give a brief explanation that doesnt require me to read the original article which seemed unnecessarily hard to follow.

From what I understand is she used her influence being an ESPN writer to convince popular twitter/blogger people to give her the right to their content to be part of a new company/website. She than used their tweets/blogs as her own.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 2, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)
Can someone give a brief explanation that doesnt require me to read the original article which seemed unnecessarily hard to follow.

a person claiming to be a girl starts posting on a major sports betting forum(covers.com).Tons of guys start fawning over this person when this person starts using pictures of a hot blonde. Covers.com starts pushing her on the front page as some contributor to the site. Basically every day they would feature an article on the front page with "her daily picks". She gets tons of guys gushing over her and sending her money. Covers "silences" anyone who questions this Sarah J Phillips person.

Gets huge following and ESPN hires her as a freelance writer without ever seeing her. Only cared about her popularity. Able to scam even more people now.

ESPN tries to save face once deadspin releases this story. Ends up firing her yesterday.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 2, 2012 -> 09:32 PM)

Wait, did you just say it was hard for you to folllow something you were reading?

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 2, 2012 -> 09:59 PM)
a person claiming to be a girl starts posting on a major sports betting forum(covers.com).Tons of guys start fawning over this person when this person starts using pictures of a hot blonde. Covers.com starts pushing her on the front page as some contributor to the site. Basically every day they would feature an article on the front page with "her daily picks". She gets tons of guys gushing over her and sending her money. Covers "silences" anyone who questions this Sarah J Phillips person.

Gets huge following and ESPN hires her as a freelance writer without ever seeing her. Only cared about her popularity. Able to scam even more people now.

ESPN tries to save face once deadspin releases this story. Ends up firing her yesterday.

How does this happen? I mean, I get the blogosphere and the intercelebs, but, um, ESPN, owned by Disney, hires someone without, like, a DL or an SSN, or SOMETHING to prove legitimacy?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 2, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)
How does this happen? I mean, I get the blogosphere and the intercelebs, but, um, ESPN, owned by Disney, hires someone without, like, a DL or an SSN, or SOMETHING to prove legitimacy?

There is a Sarah J Phillips but the pictures that were originally used were from HS classmates that were stolen. The articles were likely written by her boyfriend and she was only in on it as a voice when needed and to solicit money.

Steve,

Start an LLC/Corp give them EIN instead of SSN. In some states you dont need need to list any of the members of the LLC so its entirely anonymous.

Kyle,

For whatever reason the article just wast clicking and seemed like Id have to read a ton of words for what Zen explained pretty easily.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)
That's it, the header for SoxTalk should be Katie Upton with a Sox cap/bikini on and we can have random models appear with weekly guest columns that we ghostwrite for them.

While looking up a photoshopped picture of Kate Upton in a Sox bikiki (to match my Jessica Alba one), I read that she goes to IU? What? Kate Upton goes to college? And not only that, but 2 hours from me, and a place a ton of my friends go to? Is that real life?

And she is from SW Michigan, a little over an hour from where I live? WHY HAVE I NEVER KNOWN ANY OF THESE THINGS!!!!

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 2, 2012 -> 10:55 PM)
If there's money to be made, I can get my wife in a bikini.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ May 3, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)
NO NO NO YOU SHOULD DO THAT FOR THE GOOD OF THE FORUM

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 3, 2012 -> 03:34 AM)
While looking up a photoshopped picture of Kate Upton in a Sox bikiki (to match my Jessica Alba one), I read that she goes to IU? What? Kate Upton goes to college? And not only that, but 2 hours from me, and a place a ton of my friends go to? Is that real life?

And she is from SW Michigan, a little over an hour from where I live? WHY HAVE I NEVER KNOWN ANY OF THESE THINGS!!!!

I don't know if a series of posts has ever made me laugh so hard.

reading the trail of stories on deadspin about this girl and her boyfriend, smh. Even back to her days working at T Mobile, her and Prasad were scammers. It is pretty hilarious that ESPN got wrapped up in it and had no idea

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 3, 2012 -> 03:34 AM)

No she doesnt. If she went anywhere to college she would go to Michigan where her parents are big boosters.