5/3/11 GT: SOX vs. Indians - 7:10p CDT - WCIU

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Escobar=Wilson Betemit

Great spring training results fooled the Sox twice into thinking they were going to be productive contributors once the season started.

All except they are completely opposite players. All hit, no field versus all field, no hit.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
If Axelrod is going to start vs Cleveland next week, it's pretty dumb to let them see him tonight.

Probably Stults, with the LHP versus LH dominant line-up.

That works in theory, but not so much for Danks tonight.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:50 AM)
Escobar=Wilson Betemit

Great spring training results fooled the Sox twice into thinking they were going to be productive contributors once the season started.

Wilson Betemit has so much more talent than Escobar, it's not even funny.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
Nope, just someone losing track of the outs. The frustrating thing is it will overshadow Escobar with one of the dumbest swings of the season on 2-0.

That is really upsetting. Gordon has been known to nod off on the basepaths. He's been picked off a few times over the last few years as well daydreaming.

So a new coaching staff can't change the Sox dysfunction. There's no possible reason to be this bad at home when the team is good on the road.

I guess it's a jinx of 2005 continuing.

I mean this is ridiculous.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:50 AM)
And that is why Morel is our starting 3B

And it's why KW better start getting creative if he wants this team to contend. If he loses hope in this team competing, then by all means, keep playing Morel. I still think Lillibridge has been used horribly this year, and I'm already preparing myself to be disappointing if he's not facing the LHP tomorrow.

Folks just need to relax.

I'm going to relax, let's relax together.

We have an excellent starting rotation. The worst guy is a lefty that has been pretty damn good for a few years now and is bound to be at worst a productive, innings eater.

The bullpen ain't bad either. Thornton, Reed, Crain, Jones are all having good seasons. Santiago has had a tough start but we have the depth to take care of it if he doesn't put it together.

Paulie is having an MVP-esque season. Dunn and Rios, by all accounts are back. AJ is on track to have the best year of his career and now even throws guys out. Gordon Beckham has had a tough start but a great week. Alexei is just waiting for the weather to turn around :D Alejandro de Aza is turning out to be a solid top of the order hitter. Dayan Viciedo is immensely talented and young.

See guys, it's not so bad. This team is not that bad. Let's just take a breath and enjoy the little things.

Who would have thought Chris "Grinder" Getz would be a better ballplayer than Beckham?

Amazing.

Being a grinder isn't all bad. Beckham should grind more and not let his mind wander.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:53 AM)
So a new coaching staff can't change the Sox dysfunction. There's no possible reason to be this bad at home when the team is good on the road.

I still think a lot of damage was done when Ozzie and Kenny tried to construct a team that could win playing small ball. Playing 81 games at the Cell means you better be able to hit the ball out of the park.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)
And it's why KW better start getting creative if he wants this team to contend. If he loses hope in this team competing, then by all means, keep playing Morel. I still think Lillibridge has been used horribly this year, and I'm already preparing myself to be disappointing if he's not facing the LHP tomorrow.

Creative? There are 10,000 people in the ballpark. If it isn't in Chicago, Charlotte or Birmingham, it isn't going to be here

QUOTE (Jake @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:53 AM)
Folks just need to relax.

I'm going to relax, let's relax together.

We have an excellent starting rotation. The worst guy is a lefty that has been pretty damn good for a few years now and is bound to be at worst a productive, innings eater.

The bullpen ain't bad either. Thornton, Reed, Crain, Jones are all having good seasons. Santiago has had a tough start but we have the depth to take care of it if he doesn't put it together.

Paulie is having an MVP-esque season. Dunn and Rios, by all accounts are back. AJ is on track to have the best year of his career and now even throws guys out. Gordon Beckham has had a tough start but a great week. Alexei is just waiting for the weather to turn around :D Alejandro de Aza is turning out to be a solid top of the order hitter. Dayan Viciedo is immensely talented and young.

See guys, it's not so bad. This team is not that bad. Let's just take a breath and enjoy the little things.

Kenny, is that you?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2012 -> 03:55 AM)
I still think a lot of damage was done when Ozzie and Kenny tried to construct a team that could win playing small ball. Playing 81 games at the Cell means you better be able to hit the ball out of the park.

Yeah, the small ball thing is a joke.

I know we all love productive minor leaguers and stuff, but Morel is case in point why we like them to be talented. It's easier to watch someone struggle when you know they could turn into an all-star (Dayan) than a guy who is unlikely to have the tools to be much better than replacement level (could Morel ever be over 1 WAR?)

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
Who would have thought Chris "Grinder" Getz would be a better ballplayer than Beckham?

Amazing.

Being a grinder isn't all bad. Beckham should grind more and not let his mind wander.

Greg, you were always the one saying how much the Royals' fans disliked Getz.

Now he's a hero because he won the game yesterday and is hitting over .300 and stealing a few bags?

Chris Getz is not a starter on a playoff-contending MLB team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)
I just don't understand why we suck.

We got a good leadoff hitter, good starting pitching except for Danks, good defense, adequate bullpen and yet we suck.

Sox don't suck, they're just an average team. The defense has cost this team a lot of runs this year, and the ironic thing is a lot of the bad plays have not been called errors. When you have absolute holes in your lineup at the 2, 8 and 9 spots, and a bench who couldn't play worse if it tried....you start seeing why you lose some games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2012 -> 03:58 AM)
Greg, you were always the one saying how much the Royals' fans disliked Getz.

Now he's a hero because he won the game yesterday and is hitting over .300 and stealing a few bags?

Chris Getz is not a starter on a playoff-contending MLB team.

Maybe not. But he's better than Gordo.