GT: White Sox @ Tigers

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 4, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
I see nothing to suggest this trend won't continue upward

Law of averages! :lolhitting

maybe Gordo can have a Jrue Holiday kind of year

QUOTE (Jake @ May 4, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
Why does everything that goes wrong have to be somebody's fault?

Because drafting Sale high in the first round with his mechanics and frame and thinking he was going to be more than an elite reliever was obvious to most of this board and surely to scouts and front offices all around MLB.

Other than that, there's nothing and nobody else to blame besides God, anatomy/physiology and physics. Continued bad luck for this organization going back for 3+ years, if you believe in that.

Would have been a homer at USCF for Alexei Ramirez, lol.

Of course, we can't manage to hit balls like that in Chicago.

The crazy thing is that all the teams in the AL Central have winning or better records on the road than at home, especially the Indians.

The Tigers, Indians, Sox and Royals all fit this pattern.

The Twins are bad at both home and on the road.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
Because drafting Sale high in the first round with his mechanics and frame and thinking he was going to be more than an elite reliever was obvious to most of this board and surely to scouts and front offices all around MLB.

Other than that, there's nothing and nobody else to blame besides God, anatomy/physiology and physics. Continued bad luck for this organization going back for 3+ years, if you believe in that.

The consensus is that he fell to us based on our promise to pitch him in the majors. Anyone that throws with a "funky" motion is deemed injury prone but you see guys with conventional mechanics go down every day. This is a tough break for Chris but I'm not going to go crazy yet...I need more time to think. I'm sure as hell not mad that we drafted him. If the downside here is that we have a top closer, I can live with that.

This does make me wish Hector was ready to step into the rotation for him, though.

I love how tough Jake Peavy pitches. He's never afraid. It's gotten him into trouble, but he really defines "competitor." Black Jack McDowell once said the best fastballs have a little "f*** you" behind them -- I think Jake Peavy is leading the AL in f*** you's this year.

Let's hope the main comment after this game is that we didn't waste another great Jake Peavy performance.

Who'd have thought 6 weeks ago that he would be the most interesting pitcher to watch in our starting rotation in 2012?

Gordon Beckham's statistically better this year than 2011, 600 OPS now. Viciedo at 612. Morel mired at 439.

How soon in May is it acceptable to worry about Alexei Ramirez?

Never would have thought I'd be worrying about the contracts of Danks and Ramirez MORE than Dunn. Still not more than Rios, though. (Although at least Alexei finally showed some power with his earlier out, 479 OPS out of him so far is pretty hard to believe.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2012 -> 06:55 PM)
Let's hope the main comment after this game is that we didn't waste another great Jake Peavy performance.

Who'd have thought 6 weeks ago that he would be the most interesting pitcher to watch in our starting rotation in 2012?

Never would have thought I'd be worrying about the contracts of Danks and Ramirez MORE than Dunn. Still not more than Rios, though. (Although at least Alexei finally showed some power with his earlier out, 479 OPS out of him so far is pretty hard to believe.)

Watching Peavy pitch depresses me knowing that we're going to be watchng him pitch somewhere else next season (if not sooner).

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 5, 2012 -> 12:51 AM)
Hard to believe Lefties were hitting .333 vs. Smyly coming in.

Sample size, especially since I believe Hamilton kicked his ass when he faced him. Big problem is that both Dunn and De Aza are automatic outs against LHP this year, as they're both in the area of 3-28 vs LHP.

Not easy to hit an opposite field homer at Comerica, especially at night.

Avila's the envy of every team that needs a catcher in the majors.

2nd homer in 41 innings of work surrendered by Peavy.

Tigers' announcers accusing the White Sox of dirtying up the baseballs (I've never seen such dark baseballs, says Avila)....returning to the comments about the batter's box being a foot off against Cabrera.

That's it. We've solved the problem. The White Sox/Chicago have a reputation for the dirtiest/darkest baseballs in the game. Maybe we should try to whiten/shine/buff them, lol. Because that hurts our offense as much as it helps the pitchers. Probably orders from Don Cooper, haha.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
Sample size, especially since I believe Hamilton kicked his ass when he faced him. Big problem is that both Dunn and De Aza are automatic outs against LHP this year, as they're both in the area of 3-28 vs LHP.

True.

7/21 coming in.

Now 8/27.

Replace DeAza against LHPer's, that's it.

He came into the game right around 800 OPS overall, that's great for him. But 3/27 against LHP isn't. Then when you add that to Dunn, AJ's struggles the last couple of years against LHP, it turns into a big problem in our line-up turning over consistently.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2012 -> 07:13 PM)
Replace DeAza against LHPer's, that's it.

He came into the game right around 800 OPS overall, that's great for him. But 3/27 against LHP isn't. Then when you add that to Dunn, AJ's struggles the last couple of years against LHP, it turns into a big problem in our line-up turning over consistently.

I wouldn't mind using that to get some AB's against lefties but I don't want a platoon. de Aza should get some more work against lefties to see if he can be counted on when the games matter against LHP