Chris Sale is now the CLOSER?!/Until he's not (Update)

Steve9347

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 5, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
You guys are all being a bit harsh, in my opinion...and if you were all as smart as you seem to think you are, you wouldn't be just posting on this message board to tell us about it.

If we could be so lucky to take over for Phil Rodgers or over half of the "smart" paid bloggers on ESPN and Yahoo. I'm not sure your ending statement has any real meaning. People do get paid for being stupid.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 5, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
If I'm Addison Reed I've got to be pretty bummed about this move.

In my opinion, the Sox are one management move away from being 15-11 right now. And that's not having Reed in mind to close from the first day of spring training.

This team has a lot of good things going for it so far. I'm not just going with the "Oh well, it's a rebuilding year" mindset. This team can win ballgames. And with the Angels starting so slow, you never know about a second wildcard. 88-win teams can earn a shot at the playoffs. Teams that maximize their talent can get there. Teams that give games away will always come up short. This team hands over games on a silver platter, and unfortunately part of it, a lot of it, is based on one management decision.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 5, 2012 -> 11:58 AM)
If we could be so lucky to take over for Phil Rodgers or over half of the "smart" paid bloggers on ESPN and Yahoo. I'm not sure your ending statement has any real meaning. People do get paid for being stupid.

I wasn't referring to the media...I was referring to the bs hindsight is 20/20 second guessing that's been going on here...

You're talking about making decisions based on multiple variables and moving parts and several factors outside of anyone's control over the course of a 3 year period.

Sure, when you sit back and look at things from the comfort of your couch with the benefit of knowing what we do now, but without knowing s*** about what went into all these decisions...yeah, it can all seem really easy...

I have to give the Sox some credit: they didn't compound the mistake of moving Sale to starter by trying to keep him there until his elbow situation got worse. They made a decisive move and they did it pretty damn quick. Just look at the Joba mess in NYC, by contrast.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 5, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
I have to give the Sox some credit: they didn't compound the mistake of moving Sale to starter by trying to keep him there until his elbow situation got worse. They made a decisive move and they did it pretty damn quick. Just look at the Joba mess in NYC, by contrast.

I still think the first logical move would be to shut Sale down for two weeks and think long and hard about it. But that's just me.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 5, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
I still think the first logical move would be to shut Sale down for two weeks and think long and hard about it. But that's just me.

I agree. Sale is doing a fantastic job as a starter and to just move him into relief, for what seems permanently, because he's got elbow soreness right now? And the fact that they aren't even holding him away from pitching until his next scheduled day to pitch also doesn't make sense. Unless they know something they're not telling us, this is a stupid move as an organization for your former No. 1 pick.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 5, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
so i'm honestly in a state of shock and mourning at this. i really haven't ever been this upset about sports before in my life. it's weird. but it's because we had hope of replacing a guy like buehrle with a phenom kid like chris sale, and with this one single move we've now taken ourselves out of contention not only for this year but for the foreseeable future. as someone posted earlier, a rotation of Danks, Humber, Axelrod, Stewart, Santiago, Molina (take your pick) puts us on the level of Kansas City or Minnesota or Houston or any other bottom dweller team. It's just depressing. and with OUR anemic offense, mediocre pitching like that is too much of a challenge to overcome.

Losing Sale out of the rotation is a killer.

Great post.

However, with no closer after last night's disaster, it was time for Reed.

Could Reed have done the job?

This team's freefall is coming. Team already has blown a ton of games in dramatic fashion and has already set the tone as a lousy home team.

Good luck keeping any black hair on your head, Robin.

There are a ton of variables when it comes to a pitching arm and while the Sox probably can't know nearly enough of them, I promise we know even less of them. I'm curious to see if Sale's velo pops back up like it used to, now.

I don't see why they didn't pop him in a tube to get an MRI though, I don't think Peavy's contract is so expensive that we can't afford those anymore :lolhitting

QUOTE (Jake @ May 5, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
Since we're going to talk about Kenny Williams as if he's never made a good move, let's just go ahead and mention all the good moves so we remember that he's actually done some good.

Aaron Rowand, Gio Gonzalez for Jim Thome

Freddy Garcia for Gavin Floyd, Gio Gonzalez

Chris Carter for Carlos Quentin

Esteban Loaiza signing

Esteban Loaiza for Jose Contreras

Joe Borchard for Matt Thornton

Chris Sale draft pick

Signings in 2005 - AJ Pierzysnki, Jermaine Dye, Tadahito Iguchi, Bobby Jenks

Extending Paul Konerko 2x

Brandon McCarthy for John Danks

Alexei Ramirez signing

Phil Humber signing

TBD:

Dunn signing

Peavy trade (didn't lose much), especially if insurance payouts were had

Quentin trade (injured, who would guess that)

Ozzie Guillen compensation players? (lol, not entirely serious)

this is all I can remember off the top of my head. There are some non-moves, like non-tendering Jenks, that stick out as well

I think McCarthy will have a better career from here out than danks but that was still a good move up to this point. Dunn is not tbd. That was a bad signing. We didn't give up much for Peary but he sure has not been worth the money

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
Can't fault that trade though. If Peavy is healthy he's the best player in the trade by a wide margin.

Yeah, but he was traded while injured. If he was healthy at the time, he would have costed much more than he did.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)
Can't fault that trade though. If Peavy is healthy he's the best player in the trade by a wide margin.

It was a very high risk, high reward move that Kenny made. Problem is he's struck out on all of those since 2008.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 5, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
In my opinion, the Sox are one management move away from being 15-11 right now. And that's not having Reed in mind to close from the first day of spring training.

This team has a lot of good things going for it so far. I'm not just going with the "Oh well, it's a rebuilding year" mindset. This team can win ballgames. And with the Angels starting so slow, you never know about a second wildcard. 88-win teams can earn a shot at the playoffs. Teams that maximize their talent can get there. Teams that give games away will always come up short. This team hands over games on a silver platter, and unfortunately part of it, a lot of it, is based on one management decision.

But you can't just assume that our rookie closer (Reed) would go out there and have a 100% save conversion rate.

It's just very unlikely. Maybe 14-12, but there's just no way all those games go their way, baseball doesn't work in such a fashion in the real world.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 5, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
Yeah, but he was traded while injured. If he was healthy at the time, he would have costed much more than he did.

Hmm.....trading for an injured pitcher is always going to be a calculated risk.

Guess it's going to be one of those things like the D-Rose injury that will always be a big "what if," particularly in regards to the 2010 season.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 5, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)

Not really. The Sox traded for him when he was healthy using the same players as bait. That's when he said no.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
It was a very high risk, high reward move that Kenny made. Problem is he's struck out on all of those since 2008.

But it was a sprained ankle not anything with the arm or elbow or shoulder. Its a move I would have applauded 10 times out of 10 times. KW has sucked, but I will never blame him for that trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2012 -> 09:32 PM)
But it was a sprained ankle not anything with the arm or elbow or shoulder. Its a move I would have applauded 10 times out of 10 times. KW has sucked, but I will never blame him for that trade.

There were some lingering questions about his health from the previous season, IIRC.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
Not really. The Sox traded for him when he was healthy using the same players as bait. That's when he said no.

For sure. I wonder if Chris Sale is about to be traded for a young bat.