The Aaron Rowand PT thread

southsider2k5

So what more does this guy have to do to play more often? What a night this kid had. Like I have said all year, I love to watch this guy play as he always leaves it all out on the field. As far as I am concerned, Carl Everett should never start again LHPing. I really think that the Carl Everett trade was unnecesary, and Aaron would have put up the same type of numbers Carl did, and we could have saved the 3 prospects.

So what more does this guy have to do to play more often?  What a night this kid had.  Like I have said all year, I love to watch this guy play as he always leaves it all out on the field.  As far as I am concerned, Carl Everett should never start again LHPing.  I really think that the Carl Everett trade was unnecesary, and Aaron would have put up the same type of numbers Carl did, and we could have saved the 3 prospects.

I think you're crazy. Is this the same Aaron Rowand that got sent down earlier this year because he was hitting somewhere south of the Mendoza line?

I think Rowand is a decent backup. A good enough guy to play a few times a week, but loses his edge when he plays too much. Just like Graffanino.

I think you're crazy. Is this the same Aaron Rowand that got sent down earlier this year because he was hitting somewhere south of the Mendoza line?

I think Rowand is a decent backup. A good enough guy to play a few times a week, but loses his edge when he plays too much. Just like Graffanino.

There is a very clear explanation for that (to me anyway) Rowand's shoulder was not healed. He has never hit like that at any level, and ever since he got healthy he has been on fire. I think he either mislead the team about how bad his shoulder was still hurt from the offseason accident, or the team pushed him back into play sooner than they should have.

Isn't Konerko hitting around .350 over the last month?

And you want to bench him in favor of a guy who was never hit above .290-25-90 at any level? I could be off here, but I recall looking up his minor league stats once, and they weren't anything special. His defense is very good, and I love the way he plays, but you can't bench a career .300-30-90 guy on a hot streak for sentimental reasons.

Lee certainly isn't the best defensive outfielder out there, but he has improved alot, and is much better than Everett

I disagree.

In past years, Ordonez was better, but this year I think Lee passed him up. He gets to WAY more balls than Ordonez does, and his arm appears better than Mags now as well.

So what more does this guy have to do to play more often?  What a night this kid had.  Like I have said all year, I love to watch this guy play as he always leaves it all out on the field.  As far as I am concerned, Carl Everett should never start again LHPing.  I really think that the Carl Everett trade was unnecesary, and Aaron would have put up the same type of numbers Carl did, and we could have saved the 3 prospects.

I understand and agree with your premise that Rowand deserves the opportunity to play more, however, I don't think now is the time.

The Sox made the trade for Rowand right as he was getting hot. I do believe that if Rowand played everyday from mid-July to the end of the season you would have seen similar numbers as what Everett will give us therefore I still don't like the Everett trade.

However, the trade was made and I respect the reasons for which it was made so they need to stick with that decision. I agree that Rowand could get more looks against LH's, but they went out and paid a steep price for Everett, so they have to play him. Konerko is on fire right now (he hit .342 in July and tied for the AL Lead in RBI and is hitting .342 as well, at this point in August. He needs to play.

Rowand hit .375 in June, .433 in July and is hitting .333 in limited time in August. Between June 21 and July 21 when he ws getting more regular playing time, he hit .381. Would he have stayed this hot? Of course not... But could he have hit .280 with 5-6 HR and 30 RBI from the end of July on? I think so.

The bottom line is I do believe Aaron Rowand can play everyday. I think he would be a solid, but not great player. Should he play a lot more right now, probably not. The Sox made their choice to go with Everett and they should stick with that choice, giving Rowand an occasional start here and there.

Put me down for the Aaron Rowand fan club. I love the way he plays and hes one of my favorites on the club. But yes we acquired Everette to play centerfield and hes much better offensivly. We have several hot hands right now (Everette, Rowand, Konerko, Lee) so its a pretty good dilemma to have. I dont think Aaron would put up nearly the same numbers if he played everyday.

Problem is, right now....we have too many solid to good bats and we can't fit them all in the lineup. AS bad as it sounds, and Roman if you are reading, I am a huge Frank fan, but he may need a few games on the bench. He changes his stance, resulting in some great hitting, then he will go right back to what he was doing. When Frank is off, he pops EVERYTHING up to the right side of the field. Let Frank have a few days off, let CLee play LF, ARow in CF, and Carl at DH...PK doesn't deserve to not play right now. He always has hit into alot of DPs, but its magnified this year because he hit into so many while he was way off.

Did you ever take a look at his stats? 20 GIDP and he is slow as hell.

rafa, my friend, no one with Mags in his avatar should ever talk about any playing grounding into double plays - Mags is the season in season out king of that -

and for everyone else, I am among those who think AR should play every day and I am not sure why we got Everett

Did you ever take a look at his stats? 20 GIDP and he is slow as hell.

rafa, my friend, no one with Mags in his avatar should ever talk about any playing grounding into double plays - Mags is the season in season out king of that -

and for everyone else, I am among those who think AR should play every day and I am not sure why we got Everett

:o I think i agree with that.

The Everett trade helped us, but it wasn't a need the way Rowand was hitting. The way Everett has been hitting with us, it's debatable that Rowand could have done close to as well and KW could have used those prospects to get another pitcher. Of course I want Rowand to play, just look at my sig. :lol:

And anyone who thinks Lee is a good defensive OFer is kidding themselves. He is the worst. He has gotten better, but he remains the worst.

Lee is arguably one of the three top position players on the sox now and his defense - of which i ahve been evry critical of in seasons past - has steadily improvbed such that I feel he is very adequete out there, very adequete

Carlos Lee is a great talent. Someone, ANYONE PLEASE, just needs to teach him the game of baseball.

They traded for Everett because he is a [mostly] left-handed hitter. Before the two trades, the Sox were woefully short of any threat from the left side...or doesn't anyone remember that?

Forkit!

Nah i agree we needed his left handed bat. I just dont know if we better with Everett in CF, over Rowand.

First of all no way is Carlos a better outfielder than Maggs. Maggs just makes it look easier. Nor can you put Carlos at first at this point in the season. If he worked in winter ball and spring training, maybe that would work.

Rowand is a solid outfielder, and he probably is our best choice for 2004. If he is the starter next year, I'd still want a good fielding left handed alternative, but that won't be Everett. I thought the Everett trade gummed things up, unless they made another trade to allow Everett to Dh or play left. That trade never happened, obviously.

no one ever said CLee is better defensive player than Mags - Mags is much improved over his first season, and CLee is much improved over his first, and Mags has become a very good outfielder and CLee has become very adequete - that I think sums it up

no one ever said CLee is better defensive player than Mags - Mags is much improved over his first season, and CLee is much improved over his first, and Mags has become a very good outfielder and CLee has become very adequete - that I think sums it up

I wish Carl everett would become "a poor center fielder". That would be a step up for him. :angry: