White Sox moves from 5/7

justBLAZE

White Sox Option Dylan Axelrod To Class AAA Charlotte, and recall Eric Stults and Jose Quintana for the double header today.

Stony just said organization loves Quintana and they think he will be a quality 4/5 starter in the majors.

Welcome to the team Quintana, I can't believe there is no post about this.

Also Jacob Petricka and Nestor Molina got promoted to AA Birmingham and AAA Charlotte respectively.

I was watching WGN as well...pretty sure the guy Stony was talking about being a 4/5 starter who the organization loves was McCallister...the guy the Indians called up to pitch game one of the DH. He was saying the Indians love him and view him as a 4/5 starter...unless I missed him saying the exact same thing about Quintana.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 7, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
I was watching WGN as well...pretty sure the guy Stony was talking about being a 4/5 starter who the organization loves was McCallister...the guy the Indians called up to pitch game one of the DH. He was saying the Indians love him and view him as a 4/5 starter...unless I missed him saying the exact same thing about Quintana.

Yikes, you maybe right as I was typing and listening at the same time, and you can make a point that both of them came from the Yankees organization and when Stony mentioned it I for sure thought he is talking about Quintana :D

In this case, do we keep Stults ? Is Molina's promotion a way of getting him up to the bigs this year?

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 7, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
White Sox Option Dylan Axelrod To Class AAA Charlotte, and recall Eric Stults and Jose Quintana for the double header today.

Stony just said organization loves Quintana and they think he will be a quality 4/5 starter in the majors.

Also Jacob Petricka and Nestor Molina got promoted to AA Birmingham and AAA Charlotte respectively.

LOL.

Phil Rogers did write this today about Quintana (who was so good the pitching-starved Yankees just let go) and Cameron Bayne, who I've never seen listed as so much as a Top 20 prospect in the worst farm system in the majors.

FWIW, they got McAllister for Austin Kearns. Quite a steal. At the time, Zach wasn't throwing 93-95, he was in the low 90's. 3rd round draft pick in 2006.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 7, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
Sounds like Quintana stays and Stults is just for the doubleheader.

I'd say that Stults stays and Quintana returns to B'ham. They've held open a roster spot in B'ham for Quintana. They'll already have to make room for Molina in Charlotte as is.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 7, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
I'd say that Stults stays and Quintana returns to B'ham. They've held open a roster spot in B'ham for Quintana. They'll already have to make room for Molina in Charlotte as is.

I would guess that the original plan was for neither to stay and for us to pitch Axelrod again.

At this point, Quintana may be the favorite to get another start in 5th spot -- haven't seen Stults though, of course. You could keep two of the three by demoting Santiago...but my guess is they demote Santiago when Crain comes back.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 7, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)

Jesus Quintana? just keep him away from the players' kids.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)
Quintana has less AA and above experience than Nestor Molina, FWIW.

Guess they consider him more expendable.

Any chance Quintana was just already on the 40 man roster and that's why he got the callup?

Just saying, I don't think anyone would have been upset had Quintana gotten totally bombed yesterday.

However, had they started Molina instead of Stults, and Molina got lit up like a Christmas tree, it would have been a big story.

It's hard to believe the Yankees would just let him go like that with their pitching issues.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
Just saying, I don't think anyone would have been upset had Quintana gotten totally bombed yesterday.

However, had they started Molina instead of Stults, and Molina got lit up like a Christmas tree, it would have been a big story.

It's hard to believe the Yankees would just let him go like that with their pitching issues.

Stults was also one of the last players sent down at the end of spring. The Sox obviously like him, and he has a history at the major league level. By any measure he is ahead of Molina right now.

Coming into yesterday's action, for their careers:

Quintana, 35 IP in AA

Nestor Molina, 58 IP in AA

Just think it's interesting we're all saying that Molina is at least a year or more away when Quintana just pops up out of nowhere and nobody is really questioning that decision, or wondering why someone at AAA wasn't selected.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
Stults was also one of the last players sent down at the end of spring. The Sox obviously like him, and he has a history at the major league level. By any measure he is ahead of Molina right now.

But if we're now DEFINITELY going into a phase where the young players have to go everyday (no more Fukudome for Viciedo, for example, or Lillibridge for Morel) then why are we somewhat realistically looking at Stults as being a possibility for the starting rotation in 2012 and beyond?

What's the point of wasting innings on him at the major league level? Just to buy time while our AA pitchers are getting ready?

Wouldn't we be better served giving pitchers like Simon Castro or Hernandez or even Terry Doyle spot starts instead of a career minor league journeyman?

If we are seriously considering an investment of starter's innings in 2012, well, that doesn't bode well for the future at all.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
But if we're now DEFINITELY going into a phase where the young players have to go everyday (no more Fukudome for Viciedo, for example, or Lillibridge for Morel) then why are we somewhat realistically looking at Stults as being a possibility for the starting rotation in 2012 and beyond?

What's the point of wasting innings on him at the major league level? Just to buy time while our AA pitchers are getting ready?

Wouldn't we be better served giving pitchers like Simon Castro or Hernandez or even Terry Doyle spot starts instead of a career minor league journeyman?

If we are seriously considering an investment of starter's innings in 2012, well, that doesn't bode well for the future at all.

The organization knows who is "ready" and who is not. If those guys were ready, they would have been here ahead of Stults. Then again, this group is really good at spotting pitchers who have been missed, so if they like him, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
The organization knows who is "ready" and who is not. If those guys were ready, they would have been here ahead of Stults. Then again, this group is really good at spotting pitchers who have been missed, so if they like him, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

They apparently selected properly yesterday yet some still complain. Stults and Quintana were both good. It really doesn't matter what choice the White Sox make, there are a few people that wait for that choice before deciding the other choice was the proper way to go and no result can show them to be wrong.

Edited by Dick Allen