Selling off parts?

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
Things were going along swell until our closer blew a couple saves and Sox lost some games in excruciating fashion. Then the Sale thing sure seems to have finished the team off mentally, taking a dominant starter out of the rotation with the alternative pitchers a soft throwing stiff like Axelrod.

A lot of people on here sure thought Dunn, Rios and Peavy rejuvenation in April would indeed let the team contend, especially with Detroit mediocre at the time.

Sox tend to implode in the most dramatic ways that sends the team spiraling down.

I thought Peavy, Rios, and Dunn bouncing back would give the Sox a shot at contending as well. Bullpen issues have been a problem like you've mentioned. But I think the biggest problem is just that the team OBP is awful, and the young players have just been so bad. Now, I am with you that they need to be playing the majority of the time still, but even if the overpriced guys perform, the White Sox just are not good enough with the number of bad players on the roster.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 8, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
I thought Peavy, Rios, and Dunn bouncing back would give the Sox a shot at contending as well. Bullpen issues have been a problem like you've mentioned. But I think the biggest problem is just that the team OBP is awful, and the young players have just been so bad. Now, I am with you that they need to be playing the majority of the time still, but even if the overpriced guys perform, the White Sox just are not good enough with the number of bad players on the roster.

And it would be REALLY atrocious (team OBP) if not for Dunn's mid-20's walk total. Beckham, Viciedo and Morel are killing us there, as well as Ramirez and Rios/DeAza aren't great either.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/b...ePct/order/true

Barely holding onto 10th place in the AL in OBP. Detroit's not much better, 9th at .310. Indians all the way up at .339 and in the top 3-4.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
And it would be REALLY atrocious (team OBP) if not for Dunn's mid-20's walk total. Beckham, Viciedo and Morel are killing us there, as well as Ramirez and Rios/DeAza aren't great either.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/b...ePct/order/true

Barely holding onto 10th place in the AL in OBP. Detroit's not much better, 9th at .310. Indians all the way up at .339 and in the top 3-4.

De Aza has a .360 OBP, that's very respectable. The rest is clearly true, though. Also, Paulie's really the one propping us up with his .425 OBP. He's supposed to be the one driving in the runs, though. AJ's having a great season and all, but if we really had a masher behind Paulie...man....

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 8, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
De Aza has a .360 OBP, that's very respectable. The rest is clearly true, though. Also, Paulie's really the one propping us up with his .425 OBP. He's supposed to be the one driving in the runs, though. AJ's having a great season and all, but if we really had a masher behind Paulie...man....

Hadn't realized DeAza had gotten it back up to that point.

Maybe more consumed with his splits against LHP, forgetting all the other good things he does.

But some of his defensive misplays have overshadowed how much of an offensive upgrade he's been over Pierre.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 7, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
I don't know how KW can possibly make it through the year. I don't think it matters though. As bad as KW's minor league system is, most of that is on Reinsdorf for not spending in the draft and on the international market. I know that the new rules might help some of that but the way the White Sox do business has been a joke for a long time.

There's probably more people that need to go that are in scouting and development.