Sale back to the rotation per KW, MRI comes back clean

Heads22

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 11, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Ok I've never heard of teams doing this but is it possible that they are?

2012- Bullpen sandwiched between 5 starts at the beginning and end of the season- total 10 starts

2013- Bullpen sandwiched between 8-10 starts at the beginning and end of the season- total 20 starts

2014- All starts, 32 or whatever.

This would adequately stretch his inning total over the next few years, but is it a dangerous way to treat an arm? I kinda like it if it works and isn't too dangerous lol.

It would be dangerous to the arm if there was damage to the ligament. Since it so far appears to be muscular, there is sound logic in backing him off the number of pitches to build strength then return to starting.

Let's use running as an example. A person is running 6 mile per day to get ready to run a 10k race. They develop tendonitis in the patella tendon of the knee but there is no tears or structural damage. The correct way to treat this is to back off the mileage and run 3 or so miles as long it is painfree until the tenderness subsides. Then you slowly increase the mileage again.

Muscles are muscles you treat them the same. It's when poor mechanics and structural problem arise that you need to change the paln. The sox are doing something unorthodox but from a physical stand point I can see the logic.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
Both Feliz in Texas and Bard in Boston have started and relieved this year. Add Texas and Boston to the stupid organizations list. The only thing idiotic is you thinking you have this all figured out without any of the information. The White Sox want Chris Sale to pitch for them, not rehab, and don't go thinking if he blows out his elbow he'll be fine in a year. Its possible, its also possible he turns out like Liriano, who is now back in the pen for Minnesota because of ineffectiveness.

PTAC, the guy on this site who probably knows more about this type of thing than anyone here, says the Sox are doing the correct thing. You may mention Sale's agent, but Sale's agent is going to side with Sale. If Sale wanted to relieve, he would be upset if the Sox kept him in the rotation.

the sox. do not. know what. they're doing. with sale.

cooper has said as much. he wants him to start, ventura doesnt. thus, the sox have not decided a course of action. that's. all. i. said.

I like it. Selfishly, I'd rather have Sale need TJS than to see him in the bullpen the next five years.

He was drafted as a starter. He wants to start. Let him start, and see what happens.

Going back to last week, they should have shut him down for two weeks. But whatever. Fresh start tomorrow.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 11, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
I like it. Selfishly, I'd rather have Sale need TJS than to see him in the bullpen the next five years.

He was drafted as a starter. He wants to start. Let him start, and see what happens.

Going back to last week, they should have shut him down for two weeks. But whatever. Fresh start tomorrow.

We'll say it was something like active rest. It's like he had one intense bullpen session and presumably some more relaxed ones in between. Would have sounded okay if we presented that as the plan all along.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 11, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)

And hopefully this makes Reed the full-time closer

QUOTE (fathom @ May 11, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
And hopefully this makes Reed the full-time closer

I think this is a no-brainer. I was okay with the plan to move him along slowly, but now he's been in the fire. No use holding back anymore.

What a completely bungled situation, but glad Chris is back in the rotation.

They should have just had him skip a start, test his elbow again, if it was still sore (which it was) then send him with an MRI (and they did), and if it comes back clean (which it did) you let him start and just keep a close eye on him. (which I imagine they will)

Just a dumb thing to make a wild statement like "Chris Sale is hurting and is the Closer now!" and confuse the s*** out of the fan base...

And we can make Reed the unofficial, official closer. Though I won't be upset if they don't make a grand proclamation about it. :cheers

Imagine, getting your high draft picks in the major league positions you envisioned them in in the first place!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 11, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
@whitesox: KW on when he will pitch next: "As of now, he is going to start tomorrow."

This makes no sense KW sounds stupid. Put him in a role and LEAVE him there.

Edited by Soxfest