Kevin Youkilis for Matt Thornton?

justBLAZE

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
The trade to happen. The Sox aren't drawing anyone. They aren't adding payroll.

I know...I know...but to say it's an absolutely horrible BASEBALL decision just isn't true. Business wise...this falls into the spend money to make money category, which doesn't always work and is definitely a risk that I won't debate.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
The trade to happen. The Sox aren't drawing anyone. They aren't adding payroll.

Are there any sites that show monthly attendance numbers? I'd be interested in seeing how the early numbers relate to past years. No im not trying to argue that they havent been bad, I know they have, I just wanna see how bad compared to past years

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 9, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
Are there any sites that show monthly attendance numbers? I'd be interested in seeing how the early numbers relate to past years.

^ this

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 9, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Are there any sites that show monthly attendance numbers? I'd be interested in seeing how the early numbers relate to past years. No im not trying to argue that they havent been bad, I know they have, I just wanna see how bad compared to past years

You can figure it out from Baseball Reference if you do a bit of work. Through this point last year, the Sox were averaging 23,113 at home.

"Through 12 home games this season, the White Sox are drawing 20,521 fans on average" pulled that from sbnation.com ...

So theyre averaging less than 3k this year, that doesnt sound that bad esp considering that last years team was "all in" and had high hopes. This years expectations aren't nearly as high. If Youk came here and performed expectations would once again be high and you'd start to see those numbers rise.

Nothing screams WS here we come like a 3rd baseman hitting .219 with a .630 OPS who has been downsloping the past couple of years and is coming off an injury.

Remember when trading for hurt players who had nice track records was bad. Trades like the Peavy deal?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
Nothing screams WS here we come like a 3rd baseman hitting .219 with a .630 OPS who has been downsloping the past couple of years and is coming off an injury.

Remember when trading for hurt players who had nice track records was bad. Trades like the Peavy deal?

And we have seen what happens to 3B with back problems...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)

Over his past 10 games Youk raised his those numbers you mentioned from .176 and .443...he also batted .218 last April only to put up 3 straight months over .280

QUOTE (Jake @ May 9, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
I think Thornton for Youkilis is fair. Both are buy low right now, Youk even moreso than MT

Matt Thornton should by no means be a "Buy low" candidate in a trade right now. Someone wants him, they have to pay the normal Matt Thornton high price.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
Matt Thornton should by no means be a "Buy low" candidate in a trade right now. Someone wants him, they have to pay the normal Matt Thornton high price.

Well it's hard to imagine that anyone that looks at Matt Thornton right now isn't going to say "he's in his upper 30's, his fastball has lost an mph or two, his control looks iffy, he gets hammered in save situations" etc.

I think both teams would be pleased in the long run with the proposed deal

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ May 9, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)
Well it's hard to imagine that anyone that looks at Matt Thornton right now isn't going to say "he's in his upper 30's, his fastball has lost an mph or two, his control looks iffy, he gets hammered in save situations" etc.

I think both teams would be pleased in the long run with the proposed deal

Considering that Matt Thornton's fastball was at 95.3 in 2008 and is at 95.1 right now on this season, I struggle to imagine anyone saying that.

The only real obvious difference in Thornton's stats this year is that he looks to have grooved an extra HR ball early in the year. He's actually had fewer BB/PA so far this season than in most years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
Considering that Matt Thornton's fastball was at 95.3 in 2008 and is at 95.1 right now on this season, I struggle to imagine anyone saying that.

and the next fastball will be 95 too. And the next one. And the next one. And the next one.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)

You got it. I think even if we moved Morel we have other options at 3B. I am guessing he isn't going anywhere though other than maybe a platoon role

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 9, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
You got it. I think even if we moved Morel we have other options at 3B. I am guessing he isn't going anywhere though other than maybe a platoon role

Ummm...not really.

Our current options at 3B are:

Lillibridge

Escobar

Kuhn

McPherson

None of those are good options. Only Lillibridge if he was hitting like last season, but he's still more of a platoon/role player and there are a bunch of questions about his defense on the infield, especially on the left side.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
Ummm...not really.

Our current options at 3B are:

Lillibridge

Escobar

Kuhn

McPherson

None of those are good options. Only Lillibridge if he was hitting like last season, but he's still more of a platoon/role player and there are a bunch of questions about his defense on the infield, especially on the left side.

I am still thinking we have options and am talking long term here also. We are forgetting many called for a rebuilding of this club, but now we seem to be thinking we can contend. I think we can contend also and prefer to call it retooling, but first let's have some patience. Retooling might involve a couple internal moves