Kevin Youkilis for Matt Thornton?

justBLAZE

Therein lies the problem, bringing in Callaspo gives you "decent" improvement for the remainder of the season, but probably not enough to make us a contender. Our record might be 2-3 games better, but then we still have the ongoing issue of finding a permanent 3B and the chances of finding one in the first round of the draft have been further eroded.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil is still touting the possible trade between the Sox teams. Now he has added Crain as a possible compensation for Youklis plus the Bosox have to pick up lots of Youk's salary. I still question why we would want to do that?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 16, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
Phil is still touting the possible trade between the Sox teams. Now he has added Crain as a possible compensation for Youklis plus the Bosox have to pick up lots of Youk's salary. I still question why we would want to do that?

If we gut two of our top relievers, why would we want Youk back? It would be turning one hole into two new ones. If we trade relievers, it will be for prospects. Nothing else makes sense.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 16, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)

I don't understand Rogers' logic. If he believes the thinking on this is straight, I don't know how he blasts KW for Peavy, Dunn, Rios, Manny, etc. like he does over and over again and rightfully so, at least in a couple cases.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
I don't understand Rogers' logic. If he believes the thinking on this is straight, I don't know how he blasts KW for Peavy, Dunn, Rios, Manny, etc. like he does over and over again and rightfully so, at least in a couple cases.

Do not try.

To reiterate my previous post, in this thread: The idea of giving Dan Johnson some playing time at 3B is still very intriguing to me. He's played the "hot corner" on a few ocasions, and if he wouldn't be too much of a liability, you'd have to think that he would be a huge offensive upgrade from Morel. Here are his numbers vs. RHP so far:

87 AB 9 2B 1 3B 8 HR 29 RBI .513 OBP .759 SLG

For those who like to argue that Charlotte is a hitter's park, please note that his numbers are better on the road.

Having another left handed power bat in the lineup would help, as well. Alternating Dunn, Konerko, Johnson, Viciedo and A. J. would be decent vs. RHP.

Let Lillibridge take the at bats vs LHP, and be the late inning defensive replacement at 3B

I understand that his numbers would not translate to the Big Leagues, but when a guy is dominating AAA like he is, don't you have to bring him up and see what he can do, especially, given the complete lack of production from the lower third of the order?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 17, 2012 -> 05:16 AM)
To reiterate my previous post, in this thread: The idea of giving Dan Johnson some playing time at 3B is still very intriguing to me. He's played the "hot corner" on a few ocasions, and if he wouldn't be too much of a liability, you'd have to think that he would be a huge offensive upgrade from Morel. Here are his numbers vs. RHP so far:

87 AB 9 2B 1 3B 8 HR 29 RBI .513 OBP .759 SLG

For those who like to argue that Charlotte is a hitter's park, please note that his numbers are better on the road.

Having another left handed power bat in the lineup would help, as well. Alternating Dunn, Konerko, Johnson, Viciedo and A. J. would be decent vs. RHP.

Let Lillibridge take the at bats vs LHP, and be the late inning defensive replacement at 3B

I understand that his numbers would not translate to the Big Leagues, but when a guy is dominating AAA like he is, don't you have to bring him up and see what he can do, especially, given the complete lack of production from the lower third of the order?

At this point, I'd have to agree that he might be our best option. I had high hopes for Morel, and he might still be good someday, but not at this time. Morel needs to go down and find his stroke again.

At this point I give up, morel is clearly drowning at the plate and needs either a reboot in the minors or to simply go away. If Dan Johnson is the replacement, so be it. I have a feeling we will have some moments of defensive hilarity, but whatever.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
You know its sad when the best option is to bring up a 32 year old playing out of position who hasn't sniffed the Mendoza line in the major leagues since 2007.

The 2nd best option is a 31 year old who is a 3rd baseman but he hasn't sniffed the Mendoza line since 2006.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
The 2nd best option is a 31 year old who is a 3rd baseman but he hasn't sniffed the Mendoza line since 2006.

Seriously, it doesn't look like this is going to be the year the Sox hoist another flag, Dan Johnson or not. They might as well stick with Morel to see if he, like Beckham and Viciedo, can make something of themselves.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
Seriously, it doesn't look like this is going to be the year the Sox hoist another flag, Dan Johnson or not. They might as well stick with Morel to see if he, like Beckham and Viciedo, can make something of themselves.

Unless the Sox are willing to make the decision that Morel isn't going to be a part of the organization in the future, he should play. Once they decide he isn't a part of the rebuilding, then move on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
Unless the Sox are willing to make the decision that Morel isn't going to be a part of the organization in the future, he should play. Once they decide he isn't a part of the rebuilding, then move on.

I agree.

Brent Morel Sept.

140 AB 34 hits 11 HR 26 RBI .242 AvG

Brent Morel all other months

449 AB 101 hits 2 HR 27 RBI .225 AVG.

It would be interesting to see the no spin opinion of the organization in regards to Brent. Obviously, he has teased, but his bad as gone on for a while and its not like he's a 22 year old.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
I agree.

Brent Morel Sept.

140 AB 34 hits 11 HR 26 RBI .242 AvG

Brent Morel all other months

449 AB 101 hits 2 HR 27 RBI .225 AVG.

It would be interesting to see the no spin opinion of the organization in regards to Brent. Obviously, he has teased, but his bad as gone on for a while and its not like he's a 22 year old.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Matt Thornton go for a 3rd base prospect, or a guy who failed in his first shot at 3rd and his value has taken a hit, but it is still young.

Those of you who think that Morel should play, for the sake of his development might consider the fact that failing badly for an extended period of time may not necessarily be good for a youngster's development.

Moreover, if this team is going to place its highest priority on developing players at the Major League level, then why are they holding onto the veterans that could be moved? I suspect that many of the previously unmovable pieces could now be dealt.

With the pitching depth on this squad, they could still contend this year, with a more productive offense. I think that they need to decide in which direction the organization is going, and then follow through with their plan. If they intend to keep Peavy, Floyd, Konerko, Dunn, and other other productive veterans, then they need to fix the offense. If not, clean house, acquire more prospects, and forget about competing this year.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 17, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
Those of you who think that Morel should play, for the sake of his development might consider the fact that failing badly for an extended period of time may not necessarily be good for a youngster's development.

Moreover, if this team is going to place its highest priority on developing players at the Major League level, then why are they holding onto the veterans that could be moved? I suspect that many of the previously unmovable pieces could now be dealt.

With the pitching depth on this squad, they could still contend this year, with a more productive offense. I think that they need to decide in which direction the organization is going, and then follow through with their plan. If they intend to keep Peavy, Floyd, Konerko, Dunn, and other other productive veterans, then they need to fix the offense. If not, clean house, acquire more prospects, and forget about competing this year.

If they judge it's the case that having a kid struggle at the big league level playing through a back injury is the right move, then that's their call...they're the ones who have to deal with replacing him if he fails. If they think they can't fix him at the big league level, then either he ought to be on the DL or playing every day at Charlotte.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
If they judge it's the case that having a kid struggle at the big league level playing through a back injury is the right move, then that's their call...they're the ones who have to deal with replacing him if he fails. If they think they can't fix him at the big league level, then either he ought to be on the DL or playing every day at Charlotte.

I wanted to give Morel a chance for the entire season but he has a .396 OPS. I had to look multiple times to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me. That is tough to do. There really is not another 3B option but at least if he went to AAA he may regain some semblance of confidence.

White Sox make this deal if they can. The Red Sox would have to eat some money regardless, and it wouldn't be hard to get the cash to be even considering Thornton has ~$10m left total guaranteed, and Youk has ~$13m total guaranteed with buyout. White Sox probably have to include a PTBNL or "live arm." You're trading a mid 30's guy at a position of depth for a mid 30's guy at a position of weakness -- it's a wash in terms of "rebuilding" because the money and age is similar, it just flat out makes you better.

Morel sucks and is still young. All you're doing is giving him one year to play as a bench guy, because Youk gets bought out.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 17, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
White Sox make this deal if they can. The Red Sox would have to eat some money regardless, and it wouldn't be hard to get the cash to be even considering Thornton has ~$10m left total guaranteed, and Youk has ~$13m total guaranteed with buyout. White Sox probably have to include a PTBNL or "live arm." You're trading a mid 30's guy at a position of depth for a mid 30's guy at a position of weakness -- it's a wash in terms of "rebuilding" because the money and age is similar, it just flat out makes you better.

Morel sucks and is still young. All you're doing is giving him one year to play as a bench guy, because Youk gets bought out.

If the deal is Youkilis for Thornton I think everyone would make it. Thornton gets behind in the count, he has one pitch now, and it's a straight fastball that hitters sit on. Youkilis even bad would provide an upgrade in the lineup. But if the Sox indeed decide to sell off parts, they may be able to get a package of young players for Thornton, which would be better than adding Youk.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
If the deal is Youkilis for Thornton I think everyone would make it. Thornton gets behind in the count, he has one pitch now, and it's a straight fastball that hitters sit on. Youkilis even bad would provide an upgrade in the lineup. But if the Sox indeed decide to sell off parts, they may be able to get a package of young players for Thornton, which would be better than adding Youk.

Absolutely not. Why trade Thornton for an old expensive 3b on the decline with back problems? Trade him for prospects and save the money.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Absolutely not. Why trade Thornton for an old expensive 3b on the decline with back problems? Trade him for prospects and save the money.

Couple things: one, you have to subtract Thornton's bloated salary to be mediocre from what Youk makes. Two, what's the market for a 35-year old reliever with one pitch who hasn't been good since Jim Thome told him to "tell me how my ass tastes" in 2010. You're not getting anything back for Thornton prospect wise.