Kevin Youkilis for Matt Thornton?

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
Couple things: one, you have to subtract Thornton's bloated salary to be mediocre from what Youk makes. Two, what's the market for a 35-year old reliever with one pitch who hasn't been good since Jim Thome told him to "tell me how my ass tastes" in 2010. You're not getting anything back for Thornton prospect wise.

I agree. Thornton has very little value right now and this is one deal where the team receiving Thornton doesn't care how much he makes (since Youk makes twice as much)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
Couple things: one, you have to subtract Thornton's bloated salary to be mediocre from what Youk makes. Two, what's the market for a 35-year old reliever with one pitch who hasn't been good since Jim Thome told him to "tell me how my ass tastes" in 2010. You're not getting anything back for Thornton prospect wise.

I disagree, teams get desperate come July. All it takes is one team. See Capps for Ramos. Rasmus still sucks, but the Cards gave him up for EJax, Scrabble, & Dotel. That's more than Thornton obviously, but there can always be a trade out there.

Any prospect still sounds better than a broken down old 3b for a team that is probably going nowhere. If anything, just trade Thornton for lesser prospect and get the salary relief.

I also feel like a Youkilis trade would get the town buzzing. It would send a message (maybe not a terribly accurate one) that we're still trying to win and are willing to bring in a big name to do it.

Given that Youkilis seems a bit flakey, a change of scenery might result in a production surge as well.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
I also feel like a Youkilis trade would get the town buzzing. It would send a message (maybe not a terribly accurate one) that we're still trying to win and are willing to bring in a big name to do it.

Given that Youkilis seems a bit flakey, a change of scenery might result in a production surge as well.

Only if Hermy can work miracles.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)

Adding Youkilis wouldn't increase attendance, IMO. It really makes no sense to bring him in, as KW needs to start getting assets for the future and not immediate upgrades. He should be targeting the top 3rd base/catcher prospects in the majors right now, and seeing what he'd have to do to go out and get those guys for 2013.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
This. Youkilis does not fit where the Sox are going.

Where exactly are the Sox going? You keep saying we are rebuilding which simply isn't true. I know you follow our minor league system and there's very little talent down there. A true rebuild would take years upon years of losing, which I know you are against of as well. I'm sure the front office feels the exact same way.

This team is trying to balance developing young talent with winning now. Sending Morel down to AAA to figure things out and acquiring a cheap stop-gap might help us toward both goals. I'm not saying Youkilis is that guy, but it's way too early to rule out a move that helps the major league roster this season.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
Where exactly are the Sox going? You keep saying we are rebuilding which simply isn't true. I know you follow our minor league system and there's very little talent down there. A true rebuild would take years upon years of losing, which I know you are against of as well. I'm sure the front office feels the exact same way.

This team is trying to balance developing young talent with winning now. Sending Morel down to AAA to figure things out and acquiring a cheap stop-gap might help us toward both goals. I'm not saying Youkilis is that guy, but it's way too early to rule out a move that helps the major league roster this season.

Youkilis isn't cheap. He fits nothing except the win now baseball that everyone is supposed to be so pissed off about.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Absolutely not. Why trade Thornton for an old expensive 3b on the decline with back problems? Trade him for prospects and save the money.

Let me rephrase: I did say that I would rather trade Thornton for a promising young piece than for Youkilis. I don't think anyone is giving up anything for Thornton though unless the Sox pick up the contract. Something JR will not do. If Kenny Williams thinks there is an outside shot at winning the division, Youkilis helps the Sox more this year than Thornton does in my opinion. I, However, like most of you do not think the Sox will ultimately compete this year, which makes a Youkilis-Thornton trade a moot point.