Kevin Youkilis for Matt Thornton?

justBLAZE

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
It would still be a good trade for the White Sox, in my opinion.

I disagree. Youkilis is old and falling apart, what good does he do you this season? Paying him $13 million next year would just be dumb. I'd rather not trade Thornton for an injured washed up ballplayer, I thought everyone wanted to rebuild? This would be the complete opposite.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Why do you make things up?

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said Kevin Youkilis (back) will retain his job as the starting third baseman when he's healthy, despite the strong start for Middlebrooks (hamstring), the Boston Globe reports.

I didn't make things up, that was the story yesterday. I'm sure glad the White Sox don't have the same policy or Jerry Owens would have been playing instead of Carlos Quentin in 2008.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
I disagree. Youkilis is old and falling apart, what good does he do you this season? Paying him $13 million next year would just be dumb. I'd rather not trade Thornton for an injured washed up ballplayer, I thought everyone wanted to rebuild? This would be the complete opposite.

I agree. If you trade Matt, you trade him for some sort of cheap players. In the Sox situation, you don't trade him to add payroll.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
I didn't make things up, that was the story yesterday. I'm sure glad the White Sox don't have the same policy or Jerry Owens would have been playing instead of Carlos Quentin in 2008.

Jerry Owens =/= Kevin Youkilis

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Everybody would. That would spell the end of Brent Morel. He's just terrible and I can't believe I fell for that September run. Never again. The White Sox do not do home-grown position players.

I would like to point out that I very vocally and adamantly did NOT fall for that September run.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Everybody would. That would spell the end of Brent Morel. He's just terrible and I can't believe I fell for that September run. Never again. The White Sox do not do home-grown position players.

If your for a total rebuild, picking up Youkilis makes zero sense. It makes the Sox a bit better, most likely costs them more money. Hurts their draft position and costs them money to be spend developing and signing players.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)

And for the anti-rebuild guys, you get a recognizable name that will boost revenue. Youk sported an OPS well over .900 in '10. He doesn't hurt you defensively at 3B. And he boots one of the worst players in baseball sans one fluke month the last year+.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
If your for a total rebuild, picking up Youkilis makes zero sense. It makes the Sox a bit better, most likely costs them more money. Hurts their draft position and costs them money to be spend developing and signing players.

Yeah, but this would be a freebee. Peavy's coming off the books after this year. You just gonna sit on that money?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
Jerry Owens =/= Kevin Youkilis

The guy who took the struggling Youkilis' place has 7 extra base hits in 22 AB and an OPS over 1.400. Bobby V and Youkilis don't get along and Youkilis is starting to get banged up pretty regularly and his production is starting to drop. I think the Red Sox will dump him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)

Youk's numbers have taken a pretty big hit over the last few years. Let's just say it makes me wonder about what has changed in the last couple years in baseball that could make ones offensive numbers drop, and affect your health... if you know what I mean.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
Yeah, but this would be a freebee. Peavy's coming off the books after this year. You just gonna sit on that money?

Yesterday the Sox should trade Konerko, now Youkilis is a freebe?

That would be rebuilding on the fly, the exact same thing you rip them for doing now. I'll use one of your lines, the White Sox aren't going to win a WS for the 2 years Youkilis has on his contract, he'd be a waste to pick up.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
Everyone is discussing the merits of Youk way too seriously given this deal really should never happen.

For more than a few reasons. If this was the 2011 White Sox, when they were "all in", it makes perfect sense, at least from their end.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
Youk's numbers have taken a pretty big hit over the last few years. Let's just say it makes me wonder about what has changed in the last couple years in baseball that could make ones offensive numbers drop, and affect your health... if you know what I mean.

Good point.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
And for the anti-rebuild guys, you get a recognizable name that will boost revenue. Youk sported an OPS well over .900 in '10. He doesn't hurt you defensively at 3B. And he boots one of the worst players in baseball sans one fluke month the last year+.

While only playing 102 games in '10. OPS was down to .833 last year in only 120 games. He's missed half the games his year with a .635 OPS.

I realize that Morel is bad at baseball and I am sick of him too. But Thornton still has trade value and I don't see how dumping him for an aging, injured player who won't be around in 2013 makes any sense right now. It sounds like the type of move everyone wants KW fired for in the first place.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
The guy who took the struggling Youkilis' place has 7 extra base hits in 22 AB and an OPS over 1.400. Bobby V and Youkilis don't get along and Youkilis is starting to get banged up pretty regularly and his production is starting to drop. I think the Red Sox will dump him.

It's 22 at bats.