5/9 Games

flavum

Saladino is putting up some impressive numbers after a terrible start. He's cut down on his K's and really increased his BB rate. His power is down this year so far but I think that it will come around, he's also playing in a good pitchers league and a pitchers park. I'm excited about his prospects to be be a productive major leaguer. So that means we'll probably trade him.

I think Saladino might be our best position prospect right now, and I think he can be a pretty good one.

He has an insane K/BB rate of 10/2 over the past 10 games. He's not showing as much power as last season, but I think he's trying to hit for contact instead, as evident by his lower K rate. He's on pace to steal 40 bases as well, a great improvement from last season. With the rate that he gets on base, and his improved base running, if he can stick to SS or 2B, he can be our leadoff hitter for years to come.

Mitchell still has more upside than Saladino unless he can consistently hit .280 with 15-18 homers per season at the major league level and play above average defense at either 2B/SS or 3B.

30-40 steals at the minor league level does not usually translate to more than 15-20-25 bags as a big leaguer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2012 -> 11:35 PM)
Mitchell still has more upside than Saladino unless he can consistently hit .280 with 15-18 homers per season at the major league level and play above average defense at either 2B/SS or 3B.

30-40 steals at the minor league level does not usually translate to more than 15-20-25 bags as a big leaguer.

So you are telling me Billy Hamilton isn't going to steal 100+ bases in the majors?

You're nuts. No one is expecting him to steal 40 bases in the majors. But stealing 20-25 bags along with great OBP makes him a great lead off candidate. On top of that he can probably stick at a premium position.

Guys like Thompson and Mitchell always have higher upside, but there are serious issues with their swings hence higher bust potential. Until they can produce at a consistent level, Saladino will be the more promising and safer prospect.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ May 9, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
You're nuts. No one is expecting him to steal 40 bases in the majors. But stealing 20-25 bags along with great OBP makes him a great lead off candidate. On top of that he can probably stick at a premium position.

Guys like Thompson and Mitchell always have higher upside, but there are serious issues with their swings hence higher bust potential. Until they can produce at a consistent level, Saladino will be the more promising and safer prospect.

How can you say more promising when promise by definition means the capability of doing something great or unexpected, not unlike potential?

Nobody I've seen who has written a report has raved about his defense, arm, range, etc. Maybe he's described as "solid" across the board, and lacking in anyone dominant tool but average to above average in most of them (at least at the minor league level).

If Saladino was in one of the top 10-15 systems in the game, he'd be projected as a utility infielder with about a 25-35% to make it in the big leagues as a starter.

Look at Morel, who was more (or just as) highly touted simply because he was one of the few position prospects in our system.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 10, 2012 -> 03:27 AM)
You have no idea what your talking about do you?

Fine, you say that Saladino will be a regular in the majors.

I'm going to call him a utility player.

We'll see who wins.

And actually I was being quite generous and charitable to say he would be ranked among the Top 200 minor leaguers.

http://scoutingthesally.com/tyler-saladino...g-report-video/

First of all, he's not going to end up sticking at SS, so that means he better be able to put up a 725-750 OPS because his defense won't project nearly as well as Beckham, who's close to Gold Glove level. He loses value not staying at SS.

Secondly, with his frame and body style, he's not going to maintain or come anywhere close to maintaining those minor league stolen base numbers. Which means if he's not a prototypical leadoff hitter, he better have an OBP of 350-375.

Finally, he does strike out quite a bit for someone who doesn't hit for huge power. Someone said Mitchell and Thompson had issues with their swings, probably solely based on their K ratios.

I'm not saying he's doomed to be CJ Retherford, Shelby, Jr. or Tyler Kuhn, but it's not like he's anything close to a "sure thing" either.

Edited by caulfield12

There are no sure things when it comes to prospects which kind of just reinstates you have no clue what your talking about. Is there a chance he doesn't make the majors or maxes out as a utility play, sure but you are putting a very low ceiling on someone just because you don't like KW and like trashing the system.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 10, 2012 -> 03:08 AM)
There are no sure things when it comes to prospects which kind of just reinstates you have no clue what your talking about. Is there a chance he doesn't make the majors or maxes out as a utility play, sure but you are putting a very low ceiling on someone just because you don't like KW and like trashing the system.

Doesn't everyone pretty much universally trash our minor league system?

There's a difference between being in favor of KW in a generic sense (for the moves which mostly impact the big league roster) and having admiration for our minor league system.

Before this situation with Sale, I defended him pretty consistently the last 2-3 years here.

As far as my judgment, the very first day I saw Jose Guillen play for our team in 1995 (the Augusta GreenJackets), I told everyone with the Pirates they couldn't send him back down to Bradenton. At that time, there have been a knifing incident in the Florida extended spring dorms and I argued it was worth the risk to take a chance on him...that I would personally look after him in Augusta and keep him out of trouble (of course, that didn't last in the big leagues, but he had a long and pretty productive career). When you are around minor leaguers every day, you can see when the likes of a Jermaine Dye, Andruw Jones, Magglio Ordonez, Jaret Wright, Richie Sexson, Sean Casey or Vladimir Guerrero just have that extra something that it takes to make it...I've seen video, tape, highlights, I can make an informed judgement from watching baseball religiously the last 30+ years.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2012 -> 07:07 AM)
Doesn't everyone pretty much universally trash our minor league system?

There's a difference between being in favor of KW in a generic sense (for the moves which mostly impact the big league roster) and having admiration for our minor league system.

Before this situation with Sale, I defended him pretty consistently the last 2-3 years here.

As far as my judgment, the very first day I saw Jose Guillen play for our team in 1995 (the Augusta GreenJackets), I told everyone with the Pirates they couldn't send him back down to Bradenton. At that time, there have been a knifing incident in the Florida extended spring dorms and I argued it was worth the risk to take a chance on him...that I would personally look after him in Augusta and keep him out of trouble (of course, that didn't last in the big leagues, but he had a long and pretty productive career). When you are around minor leaguers every day, you can see when the likes of a Jermaine Dye, Andruw Jones, Magglio Ordonez, Jaret Wright, Richie Sexson, Sean Casey or Vladimir Guerrero just have that extra something that it takes to make it...I've seen video, tape, highlights, I can make an informed judgement from watching baseball religiously the last 30+ years.

What is that last graf from?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)
Jared Mitchell was on a 6 for 36 string with 14 K's mixed in.

Got a base hit today, and an RBI, currently at .288.

Castro and Hernandez down at BIRM have definitely been the two most impressive pitchers so far, at least among the "prospect-status" starters.

Pedro is also the highest ranked prospect in the system for which no one has started an AAP thread yet. Anyone want him?

I was Director of Stadium Operations and Public Relations for the Augusta GreenJackets from 1994-1995.

I think I do have some rights to make judgements about minor league players. While it's true most minor league staff persons don't work directly for the major league affiliate, I was very close to the coaching staff and also spent a ton of time with Latin American players because I speak Spanish.

But fine, whatever.

There's really no point in having this forum because just a handful of people who post here have actually seen any of the players play or watched them consistently through MILB.com feeds.

Other than JPN, who has seen Saladino play more than 10 times?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
I was Director of Stadium Operations and Public Relations for the Augusta GreenJackets from 1994-1995.

I think I do have some rights to make judgements about minor league players. While it's true most minor league staff persons don't work directly for the major league affiliate, I was very close to the coaching staff and also spent a ton of time with Latin American players because I speak Spanish.

But fine, whatever.

There's really no point in having this forum because just a handful of people who post here have actually seen any of the players play or watched them consistently through MILB.com feeds.

Other than JPN, who has seen Saladino play more than 10 times?

No one said you had no "rights" to make judgments on players. Not sure if you noticed, but, everyone who posts in here does that. You just need to accept that, like everyone else, your opinions may be countered and disagreed with.

Have you seen Saladino play more than 10 times?