Get a new deal done with Peavy now!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 10, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
Nice trolling, caught alot of guys here.

Obvious trolling can still result in reasonable discussion on a topic that needs to be discussed (the future of JFP with the White Sox) - the guy has pitched better than anyone in baseball so far.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 10, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
Nice trolling, caught alot of guys here.

Trolling or not, most of the responses were folks offering real possibilities for the future of Peavy. You can shame the thread starter, but those of us "caught" tried to generate good conversation. The future of Peavy with the White Sox (if there is a future) is important. If he continues to pitch like this, and the Sox are in the race for most of the season (and the way the division is playing, that's not a stretch), there will be plenty of talk as to how the Sox can keep him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 10, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
Obvious trolling can still result in reasonable discussion on a topic that needs to be discussed (the future of JFP with the White Sox) - the guy has pitched better than anyone in baseball so far.

If JFP is still dealing at the ASB, what's a reasonable return for him?

Also, I don't know the answer to this, but if the Sox don't move Peavy, and don't pick up the option, are they still entitled to compensation if he walks in FA?

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)

Also, I don't know the answer to this, but if the Sox don't move Peavy, and don't pick up the option, are they still entitled to compensation if he walks in FA?

Even if they are, he won't qualify. Compensation is based off of the last two seasons

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 10, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)

Due to his contract, not much. Getting someone to take his dollars would be impressive in this economy. The two usual suspects (Red Sox and Yankees) have cap issues.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
Due to his contract, not much. Getting someone to take his dollars would be impressive in this economy. The two usual suspects (Red Sox and Yankees) have cap issues.

His contract only runs the remainder of the season though. At the deadline they'd be paying just two months of it. Especially if we were willing to pick up a piece of the buyout, I would expect to receive a good player(s) in return

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)

I find this seriously hard to believe. If Peavy's still the best pitcher in baseball, a few teams will give value for him. They're not going to let $10 million cost them a World Series.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
I find this seriously hard to believe. If Peavy's still the best pitcher in baseball, a few teams will give value for him. They're not going to let $10 million cost them a World Series.

With the new luxury tax implications it isn't just $10 million. It is way more than that, and both teams are publicly on record as they are getting under that number.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
His contract only runs the remainder of the season though. At the deadline they'd be paying just two months of it. Especially if we were willing to pick up a piece of the buyout, I would expect to receive a good player(s) in return

The Sox picking up cash? I'll believe that when I see it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
With the new luxury tax implications it isn't just $10 million. It is way more than that, and both teams are publicly on record as they are getting under that number.

Thank God the Red Sox and Yankees aren't the only teams in baseball then. The Sox, a fiscally conservative team, had no problem giving $4M to a fat guy with dreadlocks who may, or may not have been, Manny Ramirez. What's an ace worth? I'm sure the Orioles think Peavy would look good in that uniform. With their recent struggles, you think they're going to let $10M stand in the way of a serious play off push?

Is anyone going to give Peavy an expensive long-term deal with all the uncertainty about his health? I know his production has been great but people still have to feel a bit iffy about the one of a kind procedure holding his arm together.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
Thank God the Red Sox and Yankees aren't the only teams in baseball then. The Sox, a fiscally conservative team, had no problem giving $4M to a fat guy with dreadlocks who may, or may not have been, Manny Ramirez. What's an ace worth? I'm sure the Orioles think Peavy would look good in that uniform. With their recent struggles, you think they're going to let $10M stand in the way of a serious play off push?

Considering they had about 12k at a game the other night even though they have one of the best records in baseball............yes. You basically have to find a team that thinks $22 million or the Sox throwing in the $4 million buyout, $18 million for JFP in 2013 makes sense. You will find a team or teams who will take him. I doubt you're getting back anything significant player-wise in return.

He's showing now what we all missed had he been healthy all along.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)

I am struggling to find a realistic team.

The Orioles will have collapsed long before the trade deadline.

Already scratched NYY and Red Sox.

Forget anyone in the AL Central, though maybe the Royals if they could get hot quickly and get back into things.

Phillies already have a deep rotation, as does Texas, and the Nationals.

Tampa has no money, ever.

Angels have been awful and spent a ton in the off season already, plus their numbers are down.

Not Miami after the dealings between Ozzie and Jake.

Maybe the Dodgers, but they would be more likely to chase a bat, versus a pitcher.

Have the Mets money problems been solved? If not scratch them.

Maybe the Giants, but again, they will be looking for offense first.

Dbacks and Jays could be there, but Peavy doesn't seem like their sort of move.

I won't even acknowledge about 10 teams as real possiblities (Houston, SD, Cubs, Twins, Seattle, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Colorado)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
The Sox picking up cash? I'll believe that when I see it.

They are on the hook for the buyout if they don't trade him though. So even by picking up 100% of the buyout they would be saving money (two months of salary) as well as receiving a prospect or two in return

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)

Forget anyone in the AL Central, though maybe the Royals if they could get hot quickly and get back into things.

Angels have been awful and spent a ton in the off season already, plus their numbers are down.

Maybe the Dodgers, but they would be more likely to chase a bat, versus a pitcher.

I won't even acknowledge about 10 teams as real possiblities (Houston, SD, Cubs, Twins, Seattle, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Colorado)

We won't seriously have any idea for a couple months. Baseball teams are willing to gamble though, especially those teams that haven't won anything for a long time. I think he has value, but nobody really knows, right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)

I think maybe I asked this yesterday in another thread, but why not Detroit? Doesn't Iltch want to win at all costs? The Sox would not be concerned about dealing in the division because Peavy's contract is not long term. I could very easily see the Tigers wanting Peavy for a chance to combine with Verlander for a Worls Series Title.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
I think maybe I asked this yesterday in another thread, but why not Detroit? Doesn't Iltch want to win at all costs? The Sox would not be concerned about dealing in the division because Peavy's contract is not long term. I could very easily see the Tigers wanting Peavy for a chance to combine with Verlander for a Worls Series Title.

What was the last deal the Sox did with Detroit?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)

OK, so I had to look it up... Talk irony.

From baseball reference

Detroit Tigers (view 36 trades)

March 23, 1989: The Chicago White Sox traded Ken Williams to the Detroit Tigers for Eric King.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)

Kenny Williams? :lolhitting

Because they're due? Isn't that like asking when was the last time a power hitter hit a home run?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
OK, so I had to look it up... Talk irony.

From baseball reference

Detroit Tigers (view 36 trades)

March 23, 1989: The Chicago White Sox traded Ken Williams to the Detroit Tigers for Eric King.

And they weren't in the same division back then.

As long as we are in the division race and as long as Peavy pitches well, you hold onto him. There might be concern later in the year as the innings piling up. He hasn't pitched 200 innings since 2007. And this is probably why he won't get a superstar pitcher contract. However, he definitely is increasing his value with each great start.

If you don't trade him this season and you don't pick up the option next season, his contract still comes off the books. You don't receive any players for him but you save money that could be used for somebody else.

$22M would be too much to pay for him next year. I don't think that his market value will be that high. He probably is gone this year or next. It could be in Jake's best interest to go back to the NL. They haven't seen him there in years and you have the pitcher batting there (easy outs). He could really dominate in that league.