Slow pitch softball thread

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:49 PM)
ASA I am pretty sure.

If you want a good bat, you should be ready to drop at least $150.

Always buy composite.

My personal favorites: Any Demarini bat (specifically any Juggernaut), Louisville Slugger Z2000, Combat Derby Boys. All of those will cost you $200+ though, but they're worth it.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
The Juggernaut is pretty fun, we have a few Jeff Halls on our team too. Those things can send it

I have the brand new one, 26 oz. I wish I would have gotten the 27 since it's more end-loaded. A couple of the guys on my teams have J3s at 27 and I hit with so much more power with that bat. All of the home runs I've hit this year (currently at 8) have been with either the J3 or 2014 Juggernaut.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
I have the brand new one, 26 oz. I wish I would have gotten the 27 since it's more end-loaded. A couple of the guys on my teams have J3s at 27 and I hit with so much more power with that bat. All of the home runs I've hit this year (currently at 8) have been with either the J3 or 2014 Juggernaut.

Yeah, well what's your wRC+? That's all I care about.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
Yeah, well what's your wRC+? That's all I care about.

I actually keep my stats. It makes the somewhat mundane games of league night a bit more interesting.

In 44 games this year, I'm at .634/.642/.993 for a 1.635 OPS over 151 plate apperances. I'd like to be closer to .700, but I've been struggling a bit lately. That's a .706 wOBA if you calculate it with SLG and OBP. It's a rough estimation that isn't accurate since the run environments of professional baseball and ASA softball are worlds off, but it's nice to know for fun.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
me, rockraines, and chw42 have been working on softball-reference.com night and day. Be patient

Pffft, who even uses sWAR? Amateurs and ESPN follows, that's how. Everyone knows that the only numbers that matter are found at SoftballFanGraphs.com.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
You might think this is funny, but one of my managers actually keeps stats for his entire team.

http://www.mitcharf.com/mitcharf/softball/

I dont think it is funny at all

http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball...p;sid=287964672

My previous team Cobra Kai is also on league lineup

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
You might think this is funny, but one of my managers actually keeps stats for his entire team.

http://www.mitcharf.com/mitcharf/softball/

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
I dont think it is funny at all

http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball...p;sid=287964672

My previous team Cobra Kai is also on league lineup

We use GameChanger to keep our team stats. It is basically an electronic scorebook that automatically uploads the data to the site once you set up your team. It's fun to do and helps out with bragging rights between the team :lol:

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
Is that page run by your league? I wish leagues here would do stat-keeping.

No, our league uses quick scores for schedules and results, but that is it. We keep our own stats on league lineup, it's pretty tidy and free

Buffalo Grove uses league lineup for their leagues though, which is pretty cool

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
No, our league uses quick scores for schedules and results, but that is it. We keep our own stats on league lineup, it's pretty tidy and free

Buffalo Grove uses league lineup for their leagues though, which is pretty cool

Do you just have a guy designated to keep score?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
Do you just have a guy designated to keep score?

No, we have a few guys (including me) that take book when not hitting. For the most part we are pretty good about it

This thread inspired me to go buy a bat. Bought a used $300 Easton Stealth bat. Can't wait to use it, I may actually try to hit a few dingers.

I haven't picked it up yet, but I am pretty sure it's this one...

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Easton-Stealth-Com...Bat-6-/77188180

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 10:52 PM)
This thread inspired me to go buy a bat. Bought a used $300 Easton Stealth bat. Can't wait to use it, I may actually try to hit a few dingers.

I haven't picked it up yet, but I am pretty sure it's this one...

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Easton-Stealth-Com...Bat-6-/77188180

28oz huh?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 11:22 PM)
That's just a google result,I have no idea how long/heavy the one I'm getting is.

Really? You didn't choose your bat size/weight? You are just taking what they give you?

Man, the guys on my team are picky as hell

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 11:26 PM)
Really? You didn't choose your bat size/weight? You are just taking what they give you?

Man, the guys on my team are picky as hell

I said it's used, so I am just taking whatever size my friend had. He said he only used it in a couple tournaments, and hit HRs almost every AB. It's going to be for the entire team to use, so it would be impossible to find the perfect length/weight anyway.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 11:36 PM)
Oh, I was under the impression you got it used online.

No, I am friends with an old work manager of mine and her husband is really big in to softball. Travels to National touraments with his team and whatnot, so he always has really expensive bats. So I figured I'd ask her if he had any bats he would sell to me for my team. She said he'd give me his Easton Stealth for $60. I guess his team no longer does ASA, so he can't use it anyway. He said the bat has nothing but HR left in it and in the couple tournaments he used it in he didn't stop hitting HR with it, so at least I know it's not dead, and probably broken in. My team only has 2 bats that we share, and one of those is a DeMarini of mine, so I figured I'd get us another one that has more life for the guys on our team that can actually hit HRs. I still don't know if I will be able to, but if not, someone will benefit on our team.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 11:43 PM)
No, I am friends with an old work manager of mine and her husband is really big in to softball. Travels to National touraments with his team and whatnot, so he always has really expensive bats. So I figured I'd ask her if he had any bats he would sell to me for my team. She said he'd give me his Easton Stealth for $60. I guess his team no longer does ASA, so he can't use it anyway. He said the bat has nothing but HR left in it and in the couple tournaments he used it in he didn't stop hitting HR with it, so at least I know it's not dead, and probably broken in. My team only has 2 bats that we share, and one of those is a DeMarini of mine, so I figured I'd get us another one that has more life for the guys on our team that can actually hit HRs. I still don't know if I will be able to, but if not, someone will benefit on our team.

If you had an aluminum bat before, moving to a good composite can give you 50-60 feet on your hits. If you swung a crappy composite and you move to a great composite, you might get 20 more feet out of it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)
If you had an aluminum bat before, moving to a good composite can give you 50-60 feet on your hits. If you swung a crappy composite and you move to a great composite, you might get 20 more feet out of it.

I had (still have) a DeMarini Distance right now that will be a backup.

I am pretty sure it's this one....

http://www.softballbatscentral.com/bat-rev...arini-distance/

I suppose I could just write down the serial numbers when I am done with practice in a couple hours.

I played in an interesting USSSA tournament this past weekend.

It was a E tournament, but with NIT rules. So no home runs allowed. If you hit one, your team is automatically out of the inning and you get an offensive ejection for the rest of the game. I got pretty close to hitting one out the first AB. Luckily, it hit the wall about half-way up. It really forces you to swing down on the ball and focus on hitting line drives and ground balls.

Ha, that's like 9 pin bowling, that sounds fun.

A guy on my summer team played a winter league where the only field is the infield, and there is netting with a designated home run area, nothing off the ceiling can be a home run. He said there are few doubles, and triples are almost unheard of.