Slow pitch softball thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
Ha, that's like 9 pin bowling, that sounds fun.

A guy on my summer team played a winter league where the only field is the infield, and there is netting with a designated home run area, nothing off the ceiling can be a home run. He said there are few doubles, and triples are almost unheard of.

That sounds interesting, Id play that for fun.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
Ha, that's like 9 pin bowling, that sounds fun.

A guy on my summer team played a winter league where the only field is the infield, and there is netting with a designated home run area, nothing off the ceiling can be a home run. He said there are few doubles, and triples are almost unheard of.

That almost sounds like indoor wiffle ball.

Our winter ball in the city league was 5 home runs, but they got some plastic fences and put them at 250.

There were a few games where it was like 30 degrees, but it was a lot of fun since home runs were so easy to come by.

A friend of mine also played in a tournament where they had a fence at 250 and at 300. Unlimited homers, but if you hit it over the 300 you're out.

Edited by chw42

So what's the general consensus of what a good hitter is in slow pitch softball? I only stat-track for myself and a lot of the good players I play with don't keep their stats.

.600? .700? What about in terms of OPS?

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
So what's the general consensus of what a good hitter is in slow pitch softball? I only stat-track for myself and a lot of the good players I play with don't keep their stats.

.600? .700? What about in terms of OPS?

.600 is good, .700 very good IMO

Look at my team roster that I posted a few days ago.

Ray is without a doubt the best player on our team, he is an absolute wrecking ball. But then you look at Bob, and he is a singles hitter but on base all the time. Our team is pretty consistent top to bottom though, and I think that is why we are good.

I am usually around .600 but last year was kind of disappointing at .560. But I just don't play as much as I used to.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
.600 is good, .700 very good IMO

Look at my team roster that I posted a few days ago.

Ray is without a doubt the best player on our team, he is an absolute wrecking ball. But then you look at Bob, and he is a singles hitter but on base all the time. Our team is pretty consistent top to bottom though, and I think that is why we are good.

I am usually around .600 but last year was kind of disappointing at .560. But I just don't play as much as I used to.

Do you guys play ASA? If so what's your HR limit?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
ASA rules, 3 home run limit, 1-1 rules after both teams hit 3 homers. If you reach your limit before the other team does, every homer is an out

OK cool, so that means you guys play against pretty good competition. Most of the leagues in Austin are 1 HR. There's maybe 2 leagues of 3 HR every night of the week. I'm told that there's a 5 HR league once in a while where you can steal bases, which sounds interesting.

I don't think the leagues here do the 1-1 rule though. I've never encountered it.

I play in one 3 HR Men's league and I found I actually hit better than 1 HR leagues because the pitchers threw with lower arc (most of them play USSSA), which is far easier to hit for me than the high ASA arc. I have an entirely different stance for ASA and USSSA. No leg kick at all in USSSA, leg kick in ASA. It's a bit weird going back and forth sometimes.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
OK cool, so that means you guys play against pretty good competition. Most of the leagues in Austin are 1 HR. There's maybe 2 leagues of 3 HR every night of the week. I'm told that there's a 5 HR league once in a while where you can steal bases, which sounds interesting.

I don't think the leagues here do the 1-1 rule though. I've never encountered it.

I play in one 3 HR Men's league and I found I actually hit better than 1 HR leagues because the pitchers threw with lower arc (most of them play USSSA), which is far easier to hit for me than the high ASA arc. I have an entirely different stance for ASA and USSSA. No leg kick at all in USSSA, leg kick in ASA. It's a bit weird going back and forth sometimes.

Arc for us is 6 - 10. No stealing in our league but I have played in a league where you could steal. It's a bit weird. A pitcher can fake a pitch to home, and if you are off the base when he fakes then you are out. So some pitchers have elaborate fake moves. I am not a base stealer so I never left the base, but I saw a few guys get "picked off" that way.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
Arc for us is 6 - 10. No stealing in our league but I have played in a league where you could steal. It's a bit weird. A pitcher can fake a pitch to home, and if you are off the base when he fakes then you are out. So some pitchers have elaborate fake moves. I am not a base stealer so I never left the base, but I saw a few guys get "picked off" that way.

USSSA is 3-10 feet, so you really get to tee off. It's great.

BTW, I played against Cedric Benson tonight in a co-ed rec league. He only hit once since he was late to the game. It's a good thing he used an alloy bat, because he can probably hurt someone if he used a good composite.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 4, 2014 -> 08:46 PM)
USSSA is 3-10 feet, so you really get to tee off. It's great.

BTW, I played against Cedric Benson tonight in a co-ed rec league. He only hit once since he was late to the game. It's a good thing he used an alloy bat, because he can probably hurt someone if he used a good composite.

when i lived in carbondale, a few ex saluki baseball and football players were sprinkled in the league. One guy was on my team, his name was Derek Krantz. I didnt know he used to be a pitcher, and we were warming up one time and I let one fly and it surprised him. Then he smiled and threw one back at me.

I have NEVER seen a ball move that fast in my life out of someones hand. I caught it and said "OK, im warm." and he just laughed

I absolutely hate playing with the wind blowing in. It kills my power and forces me to change my swing. It's not a bad thing to swing for liners and ground balls, but it really screws with me psychologically. The results are usually pretty bad...

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 6, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
I'm assuming $60 was a fair deal for it.

Oh yea, if it is only a year old and he already broke it in you are good. Its just an ounce heavier than the bats we have on my team. 26 ounces seems to be the preferred weight for the guys on my team. But the extra weight should be good if you want to try and jack a few bombs.

And if you dont like it, you should look on softballfans and see if someone will trade with you.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 6, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
Oh yea, if it is only a year old and he already broke it in you are good. Its just an ounce heavier than the bats we have on my team. 26 ounces seems to be the preferred weight for the guys on my team. But the extra weight should be good if you want to try and jack a few bombs.

And if you dont like it, you should look on softballfans and see if someone will trade with you.

Boy those are light bats. I would roll everything over.

Got to use my new bat tonight, and man did I not square anything up. I went 3/4, all bloop singles in to the OF. Now even though I was swinging for singles to RF, I was trying to hit line drives over 2B, but instead I ended up hitting bloops with crazy backspin that just faded over the infield and in front of the OFers. The results I wanted, but I usually I am at least squaring up my bases***s.

The wind was a real b**** though, blowing straight in. Not a single ball hit by either team had an OF take a step back. We ended up winning by slaughter rule, all on bloop hits and groundballs. Everything in the air had crazy hangtime and didn't go far.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 6, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
Boy those are light bats. I would roll everything over.

That's because you play 16" :)

Different game. I want bat speed, I don't need the weight in the bat to send a heavier ball, the composite bat will do the work