Is Beckham now Back-um?

macsandz

I like how Manto wasn't even sure he wanted to set the sights as high as .280 with Gordon in his most recent comments.

Then again, I think everyone would be thrilled with .260-.280 and an OPS between 675-725 compared to where he's been the last 12-18 months.

What the heck is "DA DA"? Designate for assignment Dick Allen, lol?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2012 -> 03:43 AM)
I like how Manto wasn't even sure he wanted to set the sights as high as .280 with Gordon in his most recent comments.

Then again, I think everyone would be thrilled with .260-.280 and an OPS between 675-725 compared to where he's been the last 12-18 months.

What the heck is "DA DA"? Designate for assignment Dick Allen, lol?

Considering Gordon's power, .260-.280 seems like it would be in the neighborhood of an .800 OPS. Ill take anything north of .240/.700.

Beckham has a lot of talent. People forget his second half of 2010 before he broke his hand. He had an .875 OPS. There's no reason he shouldn't put up an .800 + OPS every year. Hopefully its coming to him now. He was starting to look much better before he got some hits, and now the hits are coming. I still think he's a stud of a player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 12, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Beckham has a lot of talent. People forget his second half of 2010 before he broke his hand. He had an .875 OPS. There's no reason he shouldn't put up an .800 + OPS every year. Hopefully its coming to him now. He was starting to look much better before he got some hits, and now the hits are coming. I still think he's a stud of a player.

I think sticking with Gordon was the best thing for the Sox but wait till he has a couple of oh-fer days and watch the posts then

Hes heated up a little bit Ill concede that, but his K rate is the highest of his career, 22%, his ISO is .121, it was .190 in 2009, his wOBA is .277, even last year it was higher at .284. Even if you look at his regular slash line its .222/.284/.343. Thats terrible, I am not even remotely excited or anywhere near being ready to label him as "back".

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 12, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)

there you are!!

QUOTE (joeynach @ May 12, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
Hes heated up a little bit Ill concede that, but his K rate is the highest of his career, 22%, his ISO is .121, it was .190 in 2009, his wOBA is .277, even last year it was higher at .284. Even if you look at his regular slash line its .222/.284/.343. Thats terrible, I am not even remotely excited or anywhere near being ready to label him as "back".

Winner.

After a terrible April, he is hitting .306/.350/.528/.878 in May. His batting average alone is up 119 points since he bottomed out on April 17.

Clearly something has changed in the last 10-15 games, so the way you are approaching this is off. Saying he is "back" is assuming that Gordon Beckham today is different than the Gordon Beckham at the beginning of the year.

Somebody should do a video of the good Beckham of the last several games so we can look at it if/when he gets in a major funk again. I'd love to see highlight video of all his hits after all those outs.

8 K's in his last 39 AB's, or in his last 41 plate appearances, that's not exceptionally high.

Sure, you'd like to see it closer to 15% than a bit over a 20%, but it's not going to come close to killing any hitter who's in the 850-900 OPS range. Of course, he's probably not going to stay up there at that rate for the rest of the year, but nobody will be asking for him to be released or non-tendered if he's a 700 or even 675 hitter at 2B, combined with his solid defense AND the equally important point he doesn't have an obvious replacement (a young and promising everyday player) anywhere north of Winston-Salem in the minors.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 12, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)

I think that this here may be the key. Doesn't it usually take a player 1 1/2 to 2 seasons to recover fully from a broken hand and come back to form? Maybe I'm confusing this with a broken wrist. Paging Dr. PTAC!

Quentin never really returned to the same player he was in 2008 before he broke that hamate bone.

I think Panda Sandoval is going through a similar situation right now.

But Beckham didn't actually break his hand in 2010.

Gordon Beckham has been diagnosed with merely a bruise despite leaving last night’s game after taking a Frank Hermann fastball off the right hand, but not before the X-ray technician initially told him it was broken.

Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune described the scene:

Beckham didn’t think his hand was broken, but he was caught off guard after an x-ray technician told him the results.

“The guy came out of the X-ray room saying it’s broken,” Beckham said with his right hand tightly wrapped following the Sox’s wild 10-6 win at Cleveland. “And I’m thinking ‘How is that possible?’

“Then he said, ‘No, it’s not (broken).’

“Are you kidding me with that?” Beckham continued. “That’s Rookie League.”

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/...gordon-beckham/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ May 12, 2012 -> 01:29 AM)
That swing is straight outta 2009. Oppo power with a two-handed follow-though. Keep it up, Bacon.

Guys, it's not happening.

Two straight 0-fors following this post, OPS at a solid .600 even.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Viciedo, OTOH, really did have a fracture when his hand was HBP last year and it bugged him at least all of last season.

didnt he also break or sprain his thumb at the end of spring training? tough season on the hands if so