Dunn will play LF during interleague

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
It's clear that you are ok with him in CF. I am not.

And you want Josh Hamilton, Kemp, Granderson, Austin Jackson, Adam Jones, McCutchen, Jay or Michael Bourn?

And which one of those CFers are realistically available to the White Sox?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
And you want Josh Hamilton, Kemp, Granderson, Austin Jackson, Adam Jones, McCutchen, Jay or Michael Bourn?

And which one of those CFers are realistically available to the White Sox?

Well, Josh Hamilton is a free agent after this year...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Rios was much worse out there.

Rios in 2010 was actually an improvement out there, but Rios in 2011 was not, and Rios's bat has somewhat recovered while playing in RF as well. This would be one of those "you'd be nuts to mess with it after how badly things screwed up last time" scenarios.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Rios in 2010 was actually an improvement out there, but Rios in 2011 was not, and Rios's bat has somewhat recovered while playing in RF as well. This would be one of those "you'd be nuts to mess with it after how badly things screwed up last time" scenarios.

Exactly.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
Rios is a better CF'er than De Aza, switch them.

Did you watch Rios play CF at all last season? Seriously?

Did you get tired of picking on Viciedo so the new target is DeAza? Why not Morel or Nestor Molina?

Shouldn't Dave Dombrowski get fired if the Tigers don't win the AL Central this season?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
He can't play CF and he can't hit lefties. Let him put up that OPS at a corner OF spot.

So you'd rather have an average-hitting, exceptional defensive corner outfielder platooning than an exceptional-hitting, average defensive CF?

That's in a vacuum, not considering that we'd have to find an alternative (i.e. Rios). As everyone else has said, Rios was AAAWFUL last year, and I think you know that. Go ahead, give me sample size as an excuse and I'll hand it right back to you.

Marty, this is a ridiculous position to take. We have a handful of legitimate MLB hitters and you're somehow finding a way to criticize one of them. Attention should be paid elsewhere if you have a problem with team makeup.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
Did you watch Rios play CF at all last season? Seriously?

Did you get tired of picking on Viciedo so the new target is DeAza? Why not Morel or Nestor Molina?

Shouldn't Dave Dombrowski get fired if the Tigers don't win the AL Central this season?

Rios is a better CF'er than De Aza and I like Dave Dombrowski.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 15, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
So you'd rather have an average-hitting, exceptional defensive corner outfielder platooning than an exceptional-hitting, average defensive CF?

That's in a vacuum, not considering that we'd have to find an alternative (i.e. Rios). As everyone else has said, Rios was AAAWFUL last year, and I think you know that. Go ahead, give me sample size as an excuse and I'll hand it right back to you.

Marty, this is a ridiculous position to take. We have a handful of legitimate MLB hitters and you're somehow finding a way to criticize one of them. Attention should be paid elsewhere if you have a problem with team makeup.

I guess I did criticize De Aza as a hitter by saying he can't lefties, but that is the truth. The other criticism about his fielding has nothing to do with him as a hitter.

Edited by Marty34

The question to ask is whether or not the Sox would be better with De Aza in LF, Rios in CF and Viciedo in RF. I don't necessarily think it would make too big of a difference, so I think for the long term, you let De Aza play in CF and hope he can be your CF even after Rios' contract expires.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
The question to ask is whether or not the Sox would be better with De Aza in LF, Rios in CF and Viciedo in RF. I don't necessarily think it would make too big of a difference, so I think for the long term, you let De Aza play in CF and hope he can be your CF even after Rios' contract expires.

De Aza is 28 I don't know that he'll be on the roster by the time Rios contract is up, much less be the CF'er.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
De Aza is 28 I don't know that he'll be on the roster by the time Rios contract is up, much less be the CF'er.

Considering he's going to be fairly cheap for a while, if he continues to hit, he'll probably be on the roster.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)
And if he doesn't continue to hit?

Just like everyone else who isn't guaranteed a ton of money, if you don't perform, you wind up doing something else.

I know, KW acquired him so he has to suck. Everyone sucks. Why even play the games.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
It was in reply to Dick Allen's silly statement.

Which was in reply to your silly statement. There are some really miserable people on this board. Nothing pisses them off more than White Sox baseball so they never miss a game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Just like everyone else who isn't guaranteed a ton of money, if you don't perform, you wind up doing something else.

I know, KW acquired him so he has to suck. Everyone sucks. Why even play the games.

Your reply was "Captain Obvious". If he continues to hit he'll be on the team when he's 32.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
What are the chances he continues to hit at 32?

If he doesn't get hurt, I'd say they're very good. Guys don't drop off when they hit 32, they may slowly start to tail downwards after that age, but there's no brick wall, and there's plenty of hitters who learn more as they go on and keep getting better.

His speed may be weakening by 32 and pushing him towards a corner OF spot, but the kid is flat out hitting, and that doesn't just vanish outside of big contract guys who shift to the AL.