Dunn will play LF during interleague

southsider2k5

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
If he doesn't get hurt, I'd say they're very good. Guys don't drop off when they hit 32, they may slowly start to tail downwards after that age, but there's no brick wall, and there's plenty of hitters who learn more as they go on and keep getting better.

His speed may be weakening by 32 and pushing him towards a corner OF spot, but the kid is flat out hitting, and that doesn't just vanish outside of big contract guys who shift to the AL.

I say odds are less than 50/50 De Aza is on the team in 4 years.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
I say odds are less than 50/50 De Aza is on the team in 4 years.

That's a good bet for anybody, and has nothing to do with your contention that we should move him to a corner platoon role for no reason.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
Of course there's a reason. He's a poor CF'er.

And Alex Rios was even worse, so there you go. And he didn't hit when playing that position in 2011, either.

And most truly great defensive outfielders can't hit a lick, so there you go. When you're not getting consistent offense from 3-4 spots in the line-up, then you have to do the best you can under the given set of circumstances. Based on what we're paying him, based on what it cost to acquire him, he's one of baseball's biggest bargains and hardly one of the biggest problems with our team going forward.

You can't expect every CFer in baseball to be Matt Kemp or Josh Hamilton.

I wonder if you were on the boards of those teams if you would have been criticizing Hamilton for being "injury prone" and never playing more than 130-odd games per season or ripping Matt Kemp for underachieving for a couple of seasons?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
Rios is a better CF'er than De Aza. The White Sox would be a better team switching Rios to CF and De Aza to RF. The beauty of this move is it costs no money and blocks no prospects.

You keep saying that, no one agrees with you, people pepper you with numbers, you ignore them and repeat what you said before as if no one made any points in disagreement.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)
Rios is a better CF'er than De Aza. The White Sox would be a better team switching Rios to CF and De Aza to RF. The beauty of this move is it costs no money and blocks no prospects.

Once again, how many games did you actually watch Rios play CF last year?

Your definitive statement which doesn't have any quantifiable or anecdotal evidence behind it doesn't pass any logical test.

Not to mention the fact 1) Rios doesn't want to play CF and 2) there are zero guarantees he wouldn't go into an offensive funk if you made that move.

Viciedo has the best RF arm on the team. DeAza's arm is pretty weak and he's not used to playing RF, so you're basically going to have to move all three outfielders around for a negligible defensive improvement (at best) which will probably be more than cancelled out by offensive falloff from Rios, based on past history.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:55 PM)
You keep saying that, no one agrees with you, people pepper you with numbers, you ignore them and repeat what you said before as if no one made any points in disagreement.

By "here", you mean this thread? Yes, no one in this thread agrees with me.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
As far as team needs go, my order would be:

1.) top of rotation starter

2.) #3 hitter

3.) mid rotation starter

4.) CF'er/3B (tie)

1) Chris Sale

2) not in the budget for now

3) Santiago/Molina/Castro/Axelrod/Hernandez

4) Jared Mitchell / trade (Thornton, Crain)

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 15, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
As far as team needs go, my order would be:

1.) top of rotation starter

2.) #3 hitter

3.) mid rotation starter

4.) CF'er/3B (tie)

This is asinine. Our rotation is more than solid. Our 3/4 hitters are both having career years. ADA is shaping up to be a great, young CF'er that is under contract for nothing.

3B is by far the largest need, followed by second base. Hopefully Dayan Viciedo makes LF not a need any longer, maybe Beckham could take care of 2B as well (maybe not).

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 16, 2012 -> 12:34 AM)
Catcher is way higher on my list of needs than any of Marty's except 3b.

Except we at least have a theoretical answer for 2013 in a combination of Phegley/Flowers.

While it would be great to imagine there's another Wilson Ramos or Buster Posey just waiting to be traded to the Sox by a bottom quartile GM, the likelihood of that happening is pretty minimal.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 15, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
This is asinine. Our rotation is more than solid. Our 3/4 hitters are both having career years. ADA is shaping up to be a great, young CF'er that is under contract for nothing.

3B is by far the largest need, followed by second base. Hopefully Dayan Viciedo makes LF not a need any longer, maybe Beckham could take care of 2B as well (maybe not).

Just as De Aza isn't a CF'er Dunn isn't a #3 hitter and certainly isn't any long-term solution. As far as SP goes I think we're closer to mediocre than to being solid.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 16, 2012 -> 06:24 AM)
Just as De Aza isn't a CF'er Dunn isn't a #3 hitter and certainly isn't any long-term solution. As far as SP goes I think we're closer to mediocre than to being solid.

Huh?

De Aza is a solid centerfielder. Not super, but good. And Dunn is a good #3 hitter. He was terrible last year, but he's been a good fit there this year. If he has a year of .240ish/35 HRs/100 RBIs, I think I'll take that in my #3 hitter.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 16, 2012 -> 07:24 AM)

Can you give any actual reason why we should believe you other than repeating it and hoping you're not challenged on it?