Dunn will play LF during interleague

southsider2k5

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 16, 2012 -> 07:24 AM)
Just as De Aza isn't a CF'er Dunn isn't a #3 hitter and certainly isn't any long-term solution. As far as SP goes I think we're closer to mediocre than to being solid.

Dear Lord, what website do you think you're on? This is Soxtalk, not some message board where you get to say illogical things and then not back them up. I want numbers!

Just a few regarding the rotation for you: Starter WAR is best in the AL, QS percentage is 2nd best in AL, 3rd most IP in the AL.

I haven't found an easy way of comparing 3-hitters (that's for people who are better at fangraphs than I am), but I guarantee you Dunn is amongst the leaders.

It's nice that you have opinions, it would be nicer if you could back them up with anything substantive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Can you give any actual reason why we should believe you other than repeating it and hoping you're not challenged on it?

I figured this was self-explanatory.

1. I don't believe Dunn is a 3 hitter because of his radical splits. 7-9th innings, sometimes 6th he can be nutralized by a lefty matchup.

2. Humber and Danks can't be counted on to fill heir respective roles in the rotation and of course Sale with the creeky elbow. Adds up to mediocre SP..

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 16, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
Dear Lord, what website do you think you're on? This is Soxtalk, not some message board where you get to say illogical things and then not back them up. I want numbers!

Just a few regarding the rotation for you: Starter WAR is best in the AL, QS percentage is 2nd best in AL, 3rd most IP in the AL.

I haven't found an easy way of comparing 3-hitters (that's for people who are better at fangraphs than I am), but I guarantee you Dunn is amongst the leaders.

It's nice that you have opinions, it would be nicer if you could back them up with anything substantive.

You numbers guys kill me. Do your numbers tell me how the Sox starters will fare from here on out?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 16, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)

1. I don't believe Dunn is a 3 hitter because of his radical splits. 7-9th innings, sometimes 6th he can be nutralized by a lefty matchup.

2. Humber and Danks can't be counted on to fill heir respective roles in the rotation and of course Sale with the creeky elbow. Adds up to mediocre SP..

1. The beauty of that though, is that if you can bracket Dunn with 2 righties who are hitting (Konerko counts, Beckham doesn't) and you have De Aza leading off, then you're going to either get your #2 hitter facing a lefty, your #4 hitter facing a lefty, or you're going to destroy a team's entire bullpen in one inning. The only reason this isn't working right now is that all 3 of our options for the #2 slot have been terrible.

2. So, if the White Sox came inot this season with so many question marks in their rotation, you'd therefore agree that this year must be considered a rebuilding year? After all, you've got a journeyman #5 starter who you said can't be counted on and a rookie #4 with a tired elbow since he was in the bullpen last year.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 16, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
You numbers guys kill me. Do your numbers tell me how the Sox starters will fare from here on out?

No. Do your magical prognostications?

EDIT: And I'm hardly a numbers guy. I'm definitely in the bottom third here of SABR knowledge/belief. But if you're going to make nonsense claims like the Sox rotation is mediocre and Dunn isn't a 3-hitter, you should be able to support them with something other than your musings.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 16, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)

Yes, let's take Dunn and his .384 OBP out from in front of our most prolific hitter for most of the game because in a minority of innings, he might face a lefty. Never mind that Konerko would then be facing a lefty as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
1. The beauty of that though, is that if you can bracket Dunn with 2 righties who are hitting (Konerko counts, Beckham doesn't) and you have De Aza leading off, then you're going to either get your #2 hitter facing a lefty, your #4 hitter facing a lefty, or you're going to destroy a team's entire bullpen in one inning. The only reason this isn't working right now is that all 3 of our options for the #2 slot have been terrible.

2. So, if the White Sox came inot this season with so many question marks in their rotation, you'd therefore agree that this year must be considered a rebuilding year? After all, you've got a journeyman #5 starter who you said can't be counted on and a rookie #4 with a tired elbow since he was in the bullpen last year.

1.) Many (most?) AL teams carry 7 relievers, so you're not going to destroy a pen by bringing in 2 pitchers for Dunn/Konerko in a key situation. The other thing with Dunn, he K's so much that you want him hitting in DP situations, not with a guy on third and less than 2 outs. De Aza gets on steals 2nd, moves to third on an ground out that's where you dont want Dunn up. Don't mistake the fact that even though I don't think Dunn is a 3 hitter that I don't think he's the best option right now. He is, but this lineup is one quality bat short.

2.) If it is a rebuilding year then KW screwed the pooch by giving our worst pitcher the most money, right?

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 16, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
No. Do your magical prognostications?

EDIT: And I'm hardly a numbers guy. I'm definitely in the bottom third here of SABR knowledge/belief. But if you're going to make nonsense claims like the Sox rotation is mediocre and Dunn isn't a 3-hitter, you should be able to support them with something other than your musings.

I guess concerns over Danks and Humber's performances and Sale's elbow are just musings.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 16, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
I haven't met any White Sox players, Dick.

No, I'm wondering which White Sox players you actually enjoy as players.

I'm guessing Konerko has a shot because KW had nothing to do with his aquisition, but other than that.................

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2012 -> 05:40 PM)
No, I'm wondering which White Sox players you actually enjoy as players.

I'm guessing Konerko has a shot because KW had nothing to do with his aquisition, but other than that.................

Why do you guess that?