7-15 in the last 22

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
This team is going to be streaky this year. That's what happens when you have this many kids in the line up.

"This many kids?" You make it sound like it's a majority of youth. It's Morel and Viciedo. The rest are 2+ year vets.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
Break out in what way though? Cause they ain't winning 95 again. Maybe 89-90 with that staff as it's pitching right now...

I still think Detroit wins, but they wont be that good. The Sox will win like 83 and Detroit 90 and it'll be like every f***ing year seems to be....

The Tigers are not good right now. They aren't "breaking out".

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ May 17, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
"This many kids?" You make it sound like it's a majority of youth. It's Morel and Viciedo. The rest are 2+ year vets.

And Morel and Viciedo aren't rookies either... Just young

He said it one time all off-season, then seemed to make a concerted effort to walk it back.

I think that was after the Santos trade but BEFORE the Danks contract, yes?

The real question is does he have the mandate from JR to tear this team completely apart or are they going to hope and pray for a 26-5 run to bail them out (see 2010) and lull them into another false sense of complacency that the "full rebuild" can be put off YET AGAIN and that they can rebuild on the fly while still being able to realistically say the can or could compete every year in the process?

Can we actually manage to do that without a couple Top 3-5 draft picks in the first round?

If the team totally goes in the tank (worse than 2007) and attendance threatens 1998/1999/2002 numbers, there's going to be more and more pressure to throw in the towel on KW, especially if the Cubs' rebuilding plan seems to be taking off faster and is showing more immediate dividends.

My biggest worry:

a 6-under record against AL teams through May

a 10-over record against NL teams

a 5-under record against the rest of the AL schedule

grumblings about how close we were, despite the obstacles, if the team had only performed

....and no real long term plan.

or in other words, what's come to be known as "a typical White Sox year."

The only argument for having a better AL Central division record this year is beating up on the Twins.

But every team in the division SHOULD do that...and we have to prove we can, and you'd think by the time we face them, perhaps they will be healthier or playing better baseball...this happened with the Royals/Sox after their 12 game losing streak, we caught them when they were pretty hot and lost 2/3.

We're about .500 in the division and clearly an inferior team when compared with the AL East and top two in the AL West.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
My biggest worry:

a 6-under record against AL teams through May

a 10-over record against NL teams

a 5-under record against the rest of the AL schedule

grumblings about how close we were, despite the obstacles, if the team had only performed

....and no real long term plan.

or in other words, what's come to be known as "a typical White Sox year."

If this team plays .500 or better ball, this is a good thing. It's not happening unless the struggling part of the pitching rotation steps up, the young guys in the bullpen step up, and some out of Beckham/Morel/Viciedo/Lillibrige/Flowers step up. And they found their leadoff hitter for the next few years in De Aza, and Dunn and Rios continued playing pretty well.

Meaning, if this team plays well against NL teams and pushes up to .500, they've actually set themselves up surprisingly well for next year, because Peavy and AJ's contracts clear, saving $28 million ($5 million or so of that spent on the Danks extension already). That means the Sox could be legit players in FA for someone really big, like Hamels or Hell even Hamilton, as long as it starts with an H, and that could well push this team to be a legit player next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 07:37 AM)
I think we bounce around within five games of .500 pretty much all year long with some really good and really bad stretches, which leads to a few pieces being dealt at the deadline.

I agree with this. Detroit's pitching is going to hold them back from running away with this division. Same is true with the Sox - we'll win with good pitching, lose with bad pitching. At least Detroit's offense can overcome some bad pitching; Sox, not so much.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
I fully expect that to happen. But will KW and company realize that even if they're only 5-6 games out that it's time to concede? It didn't happen last year. I realize I'm just a fan and KW has to evaluate/operate in a certain manner, but the best GM's know when it's time to raise the white flag.

I have my doubts that they will realize this. They should have realized it last year when Atlanta was offering legit prospects for Carlos.

Should we also consider that AJ and Paulie are at the twilight of their careers and still productive and JR may want to give them a chance to play for a winner before they retire?

Didn't one of them sort of hint at that before the season started? I think it was Paulie.

My point: if we're clearly out of this before or at the ASB, rebuild or no rebuild they would probably go as would Peavy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
If this team plays .500 or better ball, this is a good thing. It's not happening unless the struggling part of the pitching rotation steps up, the young guys in the bullpen step up, and some out of Beckham/Morel/Viciedo/Lillibrige/Flowers step up. And they found their leadoff hitter for the next few years in De Aza, and Dunn and Rios continued playing pretty well.

Meaning, if this team plays well against NL teams and pushes up to .500, they've actually set themselves up surprisingly well for next year, because Peavy and AJ's contracts clear, saving $28 million ($5 million or so of that spent on the Danks extension already). That means the Sox could be legit players in FA for someone really big, like Hamels or Hell even Hamilton, as long as it starts with an H, and that could well push this team to be a legit player next year.

Hunter! :bang

QUOTE (Cali @ May 17, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
The Sox don't know how to suck terribly. They only know how to be okay. And that's 10X more frustrating....

Agreed. I'd rather be terrible than... well, what this team has been for years now.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
I have my doubts that they will realize this. They should have realized it last year when Atlanta was offering legit prospects for Carlos.

We might turn out okay with Hernandez and Castro, though.

There's certainly no guarantee we would have gotten the same prospects the Astros ended up getting for Bourn.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)

Has this been confirmed yet? Soxtalk kept talking about all the prospects Atlanta was offering, yet I never heard of anyone else saying it or confirming it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
Has this been confirmed yet? Soxtalk kept talking about all the prospects Atlanta was offering, yet I never heard of anyone else saying it or confirming it.

I'd say it didn't happen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)

This is funny because you are so adamant about the Sox having no chance this year. Forget about winning the division, the Sox have a better chance at winning the 2012 World Series than they have at signing Hamels or Hamilton this winter.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 17, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
This is funny because you are so adamant about the Sox having no chance this year. Forget about winning the division, the Sox have a better chance at winning the 2012 World Series than they have at signing Hamels or Hamilton this winter.

I'll agree with this. Morel has a better chance of winning the triple crown than the Sox signing either of those guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)

I hadn't thought about it much, but it's feasible that with the right players coming around this year we could be a few FA signings away from a favorite-esque team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2012 -> 07:18 PM)
I'll agree with this. Morel has a better chance of winning the triple crown than the Sox signing either of those guys.

That's Balta's plan and it's flawed in a couple of ways. First, it's beyond ridiculous to think either one of those guys signs with the Sox. Second, if they did sign one of those guys and lost Peavy, they'd be no better off next year than they are right now.

Edited by Marty34