Sox @ Cubs 5/18 game thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
He turned his headaway and brought his mitt down to cover his head. He wasn't trying to catch the ball.

You obviously turn your head away in that situation so you don't take it off your eye.

His mitt was going to where he thought it was going to land, and his timing was off on when it was getting there.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)
You obviously turn your head away in that situation so you don't take it off your eye.

His mitt was going to where he thought it was going to land, and his timing was off on when it was getting there.

His head and his glove went down together. It was Alex saying uncle to the sun, he was camped. He knew where it was going to land.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)

Not away, down. And his mitt went up to cover his head.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 19, 2012 -> 02:07 AM)
When you lose it in the sun, it's never an error. NEVER. How long can you watch baseball and not know that?

Basically this.

It hit his body. They could have gotten away with calling it an E because of the fact it hit off him making him look like a clown.

Well finally getting a chance to watch the game.

Dont think Konerko was hit on purpose, just crappy bad luck that the pitch spun that way.

I didnt mind the Wood thing, he seems to have been a good guy whatever, nice for him and his kid. The Cubs are just a sideshow now, so I dont see why they wouldnt want to do these things. Maybe retire a player a game to draw some fans.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
His head and his glove went down together. It was Alex saying uncle to the sun, he was camped. He knew where it was going to land.

Tomorrow, go outside and stare right into the sun. Let me know what you see.

BTW, his head went down, his glove didn't, he tried to catch it, he just closed the glove early. It never went down.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
Not away, down. And his mitt went up to cover his head.

His mitt didn't go down, his head did. He tried to make the catch, he closed the glove a fraction early. You make it seem like he had 5 minutes to figure out his plan of attack when in about .2 seconds the ball went into the sun and he tried to make the catch and protect himself at the same time. It's what's expected in that situation. He was trying to do both.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 19, 2012 -> 03:53 AM)
Rios was going for the ball, he tries to close the mitt at the time he thought the ball would be there. The ball hits his mitt/hand, just bad luck.

And yet like somebody said, if that's DeAza dropping it, the fans would have turned on DeAza big time. Rios for some reason gets the benefit of the doubt.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
And yet like somebody said, if that's DeAza dropping it, the fans would have turned on DeAza big time. Rios for some reason gets the benefit of the doubt.

This is sarcasm right?

Rios is the biggest whipping boy.

And I dont know what other people would do, I watch the game and make my own decisions.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2012 -> 10:57 PM)

:unsure:

That's...way not true. The only reason someone suggested that De Aza would hear it is because Marty has it in for De Aza. Nobody else would get on De Aza more than usual, and this is the last place in the world Rios would get a free pass.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 19, 2012 -> 04:04 AM)
:unsure:

That's...way not true. The only reason someone suggested that De Aza would hear it is because Marty has it in for De Aza. Nobody else would get on De Aza more than usual, and this is the last place in the world Rios would get a free pass.

I'm surprised more fly balls aren't dropped in Wrigley then, because of all the day games.

I'm thinking most outfielders have no problem in their battles vs. the sun. Why Rios?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2012 -> 10:06 PM)
I'm surprised more fly balls aren't dropped in Wrigley then, because of all the day games.

I'm thinking most outfielders have no problem in their battles vs. the sun. Why Rios?

The Angels had problems with the sun twice on Thursday

You havent watched a lot of Cubs games then, I can recall plenty of dropped fly balls in RF, and some of the more hilarious ones were players who didnt even have their sunglasses on.

As a Sox fan most of us dont watch a lot of Cubs games, but RF at Wrigley is brutal. Sun sets in the West and its directly in the RFers eyes. Even Stone commented about how RF sun is brutal there, its well known.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
Tomorrow, go outside and stare right into the sun. Let me know what you see.

BTW, his head went down, his glove didn't, he tried to catch it, he just closed the glove early. It never went down.

His mitt didn't go down, his head did. He tried to make the catch, he closed the glove a fraction early. You make it seem like he had 5 minutes to figure out his plan of attack when in about .2 seconds the ball went into the sun and he tried to make the catch and protect himself at the same time. It's what's expected in that situation. He was trying to do both.

His head and mitt went down. The ball landed on top of his closed mitt. He obviously knew where the ball was, but because he didn't shade his eyes correctly, he wasn't able to stay with it. Many high school OFs would have made that catch.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 19, 2012 -> 04:29 AM)
You havent watched a lot of Cubs games then, I can recall plenty of dropped fly balls in RF, and some of the more hilarious ones were players who didnt even have their sunglasses on.

As a Sox fan most of us dont watch a lot of Cubs games, but RF at Wrigley is brutal. Sun sets in the West and its directly in the RFers eyes. Even Stone commented about how RF sun is brutal there, its well known.

I did not know that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 18, 2012 -> 10:51 PM)
His head and mitt went down. The ball landed on top of his closed mitt. He obviously knew where the ball was, but because he didn't shade his eyes correctly, he wasn't able to stay with it. Many high school OFs would have made that catch.

For the last time, his mitt didn't go down. His mitt closed a bit early, that's about it. Of course your head goes down, so you don't take it off your face.

Again, ball goes through sun - you can't see it. You clearly can't comprehend this.

And no, HS OF's wouldn't have made the catch. But maybe with your t-ball experience, you could have.

Yeah, thankfully for Rios, Reed held onto the lead.

I can't remember what year it was, maybe 2002, that Graffanino made a pretty big error that led to a Cubs' victory, I think at 3B.

Or maybe I'm getting confused with the White Sox/Red Sox 2005 error that opened the floodgates. But I could have sworn Tony made a bigger error than Rios' would have been considered had Reed given up a hit to the other Reed (Johnson).

Back then, those Cubs/White Sox games were beyond huge. It was like life and death.

I suppose Rios should be punished by hitting 1000 fly balls out to him directly in the sun and making sure he catches every one of them. Just a fluke thing, like the wind at Wrigley or especially Candlestick Park.

Edited by caulfield12