Sox @ Cubs 5/18 game thread

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 18, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
Yeah, but AL teams build their offense around a DH. NL teams build their offense around the rest of their lineup.

Losing one of your best hitters is a lot worse than adding a good hitter to a lineup that is good enough without that player.

Who says you're adding a good hitter? It's laughable seeing some of the guys who get the DH role when the NL teams come to the AL stadiums

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
How does that make sense?

I know we're all Sox fans, but this idea that interleague play only helps the NL is ridiculous. Besides, look at the results for the past decade.

Your telling me the AL teams are not more effected by interleague play than the NL? I disagree. The fact the AL wins more games in spite of that does not change that. The AL is a stronger league overall.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 18, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
Who says you're adding a good hitter? It's laughable seeing some of the guys who get the DH role when the NL teams come to the AL stadiums

You're adding a much better hitter than a pitcher.

Pitcher wOBAs are like .160-.200. Even a replacement level bench player outproduces that by A LOT.

Look at it this way.

When AL teams visit an NL park, they replace a on average .350 wOBA hitter with one that might have a .150 wOBA, at best.

When NL teams visit AL parks, they replace an on average .180 wOBA pitcher with a .300 wOBA hitter.

You tell me who has the advantage.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 18, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
They still don't lose a vital part of their offense like AL teams do.

That is true. But NL teams don't build their team around the inclusion of the DH so when they come over they often times have an inferior, and often significantly inferior, bat as their DH compared to their AL counterparts.

Both sides have their advantages/disadvantages when the other league comes to town. And it's dumb.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 18, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
You're adding a much better hitter than a pitcher.

Pitcher wOBAs are like .160-.200. Even a replacement level bench player outproduces that by A LOT.

Well of course he's better than a pitcher, but what is your point? He still is often times far away from his AL counterpart at that position.

Making an AL pitcher bat as compared to the standard NL pitcher at the plate has a much smaller "talent" gap

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 18, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)

NL teams SHOULD have at least one good batter on their bench since it gets utilized so much more than in the the AL

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 18, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
Well of course he's better than a pitcher, but what is your point? He still is often times far away from his AL counterpart at that position.

Making an AL pitcher bat as compared to the standard NL pitcher at the plate has a much smaller "talent" gap

You have to look at this from a net gain/net loss perspective, at least that's how I look at it. At the end of the day, AL teams lose offensive output when you take into account the games they play in NL parks. Meanwhile, NL teams have nothing to lose.