PK - back in action

southsider2k5

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 18, 2012 -> 11:04 PM)
Heyward homered against Samardzija earlier in the year and got hit in the next AB. I'm not saying he did it on purpose but, makes you think.

Anyway f*** Samardzija, he sucks.

He didn't get hit in the next AB. The next AB he grounded out on a 3-0 pitch. The following AB, Samardzija hit him on the first pitch.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 18, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
Thank you for correcting me. My latter point stands. But yea let's drop it, discussion going on in 3 different threads. Let's win a ballgame tomorrow.

I concur with your latter point. Samardzija played football at Notre Dame. f*** him. He sucks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
No the evidence is he did the same thing against the Braves.

The situation (first game of the big series, setting the tone) also lends itself to thinking he thought it was a perfect spot to plunk Paulie. How many times does somebody on here post "the Sox need a fight or something to get them going?"

Just, please, stop.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 18, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
Look at his arm?!?! LMAO okay.

Yeah I see that the ball went towards his face. Have you ever thrown a baseball? Did it ever miss the target by a couple feet?

Jake I know you played the game and want to think of it as pure. As adamant as Greg is about it you seem overly adamant about defending Samardzija . All kinds of pitches are used to hit guys on purpose. That way you can say "if I wanted to hit the guy I'd have used a fastball." The intent is not to hurt the batter but to send a message.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 19, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
Jake I know you played the game and want to think of it as pure. As adamant as Greg is about it you seem overly adamant about defending Samardzija . All kinds of pitches are used to hit guys on purpose. That way you can say "if I wanted to hit the guy I'd have used a fastball." The intent is not to hurt the batter but to send a message.

Mike Huff played the game and he said on the radio this morning that he has no doubt that Samardzija hit him on purpose and said the splitter was used because it is a less lethal way to achieve the desired result.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 19, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
Mike Huff played the game and he said on the radio this morning that he has no doubt that Samardzija hit him on purpose and said the splitter was used because it is a less lethal way to achieve the desired result.

I doubt he was trying to hit him in the face. It very well could have been a purpose pitch. s*** happens.

Problem is any further retaliation we take now will immediately draw a warning.

I'd wait til the late innings next time Nate Jones is pitching and drill Castro right in the ribs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 19, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
I doubt he was trying to hit him in the face. It very well could have been a purpose pitch. s*** happens.

Problem is any further retaliation we take now will immediately draw a warning.

I'd wait til the late innings next time Nate Jones is pitching and drill Castro right in the ribs.

I agree with all of this. He probably wanted to knock him down. Still, he's responsible for what happened to Paulie.

I still can't believe that Kaplan and Hollandsworth were so pissed off on CTL about the Humber throwing a pitch behind LaHair. You hit the unquestioned leader of the team in the face with a pitch in the AB after he homered....I don't care if it's a 15 mph pitch thrown by Gary Sinise, you have to stick up for your captain there. Konerko's injury is a lot more serious than a bruise on the back, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
I still can't believe that Kaplan and Hollandsworth were so pissed off on CTL about the Humber throwing a pitch behind LaHair. You hit the unquestioned leader of the team in the face with a pitch in the AB after he homered....I don't care if it's a 15 mph pitch thrown by Gary Sinise, you have to stick up for your captain there. Konerko's injury is a lot more serious than a bruise on the back, etc.

I don't get that either. I saw Mitch Williams on the baseball network calling the pitch at LaHair "stupid" also.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)

They are products of that environment where the cubs are holier than thou.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm sure it was traumatic for the team that it was the face, and I'm sure Hawk got a little more pissed about it because he knew Tony C pretty well, and I think Smarjdldfld popping off after Humber dusted a Cub with no contact really set him off. It still was 85 MPH. It, even if it wasn't on purpose, still got away from him, and it was extremely dangerous. Kaplan the Cubbie apologist I can understand, but Hollandsworth played the game and knows no matter what when the opposing pitcher hits a guy, unless its a 65 MPH curveball on the butt, there's going to be some bench jockeying. A guy taking one to the eye isn't supposed to cause a peep, but a pitch that doesn't even hit a Cubs player is just plain wrong. He knows better, and he knows who is signing his checks.

This is so true.

It's borderline insane how many members of the Chicago sports media have said Smarja's pitch wasn't intentional. Were they watching the same game? Anyway, it was funny to read LaHair being upset about the pitch behind him. Stuff like you should never throw at somebody's head. (the pitch was at his back, btw) Really?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 19, 2012 -> 09:12 PM)
This is so true.

It's borderline insane how many members of the Chicago sports media have said Smarja's pitch wasn't intentional. Were they watching the same game? Anyway, it was funny to read LaHair being upset about the pitch behind him. Stuff like you should never throw at somebody's head. (the pitch was at his back, btw) Really?

Yep, if Humber wanted to hit him, he could have. Ventura handled that situation perfectly. He knows if Humber hit the pitcher in the next inning after Konerko got hit, he could have gotten tossed.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 19, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
I don't get that either. I saw Mitch Williams on the baseball network calling the pitch at LaHair "stupid" also.

Was the LaHair pitch at his head? That'd be the only thing I'd complain about.

I got no problem throwing at a guy if the situation causes it. The Indians hit a Sox player after Buehrle plunked Hafner in the head once, no one thought it was on purpose, but a guy on the Sox was going to get hit and that's how things should happen. Just don't throw the purpose pitch where a slip could make it hit a person's head.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 19, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
This is so true.

Yes. They have no problem with the star taking one in the face, but have a problem with a pitch that didn't hit anyone. Bizarre. I know it sounds crazy, but Smarj did throw at Heyward and one way he can still hit guys but get away with the "it was an accident" is to throw an 85 MPH "split" and say it got away from him. He throws it harder than some guys throw their fastballs,

When was the last time anyone has seen a MLB pitcher throw a splitter that the catcher caught eye high to the hitter? And this one just happened to be at the eye of the hitter. And this is a pitcher that has been pretty locked in all season.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
Yep, if Humber wanted to hit him, he could have. Ventura handled that situation perfectly. He knows if Humber hit the pitcher in the next inning after Konerko got hit, he could have gotten tossed.

Agreed, it was the absolute appropriate response by Ventura. A "defcon 2" message sent if you will ("defcon 1" would have been behind him head high.)

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
Yes. They have no problem with the star taking one in the face, but have a problem with a pitch that didn't hit anyone. Bizarre. I know it sounds crazy, but Smarj did throw at Heyward and one way he can still hit guys but get away with the "it was an accident" is to throw an 85 MPH "split" and say it got away from him. He throws it harder than some guys throw their fastballs,

When was the last time anyone has seen a MLB pitcher throw a splitter that the catcher caught eye high to the hitter? And this one just happened to be at the eye of the hitter. And this is a pitcher that has been pretty locked in all season.

I was shocked to see how the media handled this. Konerko gets hit in the face after he homer's off the guy and the media would have you believe you're crazy if you think that's intentional. Your point on the location of the split is spot on. I've often thought that Chicago has some of the dumbest baseball media members and this is another example.

Edited by Marty34

Rogers had an article yesterday which basically said the 2 things Ventura changed right away was the free steals they used to give opponents and the enormous discrepancy in HBP. One thing he didn't mention was the Sox now actually do some 3-0 hitting now.

You don't have to hit the opponent to get them to stop hitting your guys. They just have to know that if they do hit your guys, someone is going to pay.