Post game - Todd Hollandsworth

59th street

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
Robin is likeable, but the previous manager was as well. The previous manager rode in a parade in Chicago with a trophy as well.

Staring down Rogers is stupid though. The question had to be asked. It's not Rogers' fault.

Oh my god. Really?

Ozzie...does not...have...anything...to do...with...the...White Sox...anymore!

He made people smile, he was in your face, he was funny...I don't care. So if a guy gets employee of the month once, but his next few years he's chronically late, mouths off to supervisors, and generally makes an ass of himself, we should focus only on his plaque hanging in the hallway? To hell with that. I got dibs on his office.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not the right thread for this, but did anyone catch Sveum's postgame conference yesterday?

He said something to the effect of "We were getting it together for a week, and then this last week...we haven't won a game...and then we get swept by the White Sox at home...I mean how much lower can it get than that?"

I found that to be mildly offensive, honestly.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just referring to it being a rivalry and the team was disappointed to get swept by their cross-town mates...but it sure sounded as though he was saying we sucked to me...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 21, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
Probably not the right thread for this, but did anyone catch Sveum's postgame conference yesterday?

He said something to the effect of "We were getting it together for a week, and then this last week...we haven't won a game...and then we get swept by the White Sox at home...I mean how much lower can it get than that?"

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just referring to it being a rivalry and the team was disappointed to get swept by their cross-town mates...but it sure sounded as though he was saying we sucked to me...

He's the manager of the Cubs. How much lower can that get?

This

QUOTE (MAX @ May 21, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
Did heyward show him up or something? If so, he should be hit.

Did paulie? I highly doubt it, but I didn't get to see it.

No one deserves it in the face anyway.

Here's how I see it. Intent is irrelevant. He hit Konerko in the head. He has to be discouraged from being comfortable throwing that pitch for the rest of the game. The only way to achieve that is to respond in kind - throw the same type of pitch to one of their guys. If it hits him, so be it. This will always result in both teams getting warned, taking away the way inside corner for both pitchers. But you certainly can not let Smardja get the next turn. Unfortunately.

QUOTE (everafan @ May 21, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
Here's how I see it. Intent is irrelevant. He hit Konerko in the head. He has to be discouraged from being comfortable throwing that pitch for the rest of the game. The only way to achieve that is to respond in kind - throw the same type of pitch to one of their guys. If it hits him, so be it. This will always result in both teams getting warned, taking away the way inside corner for both pitchers. But you certainly can not let Smardja get the next turn. Unfortunately.

Humber did this, hence ISSUE OVER.

I caught that too.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 21, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)

That's how I interpreted it. Both Chicago managers seem intently focused on maintaining and even keel, and I don't see Sveum taking the backhand to the Sox. He's got other things to worry about.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 21, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
That's how I interpreted it. Both Chicago managers seem intently focused on maintaining and even keel, and I don't see Sveum taking the backhand to the Sox. He's got other things to worry about.

I understand that...I just thought he could have articulated it in a way that would have been a bit more gracious in defeat, considering how badly we kicked their ass all over the field.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 21, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
I understand that...I just thought he could have articulated it in a way that would have been a bit more gracious in defeat, considering how badly we kicked their ass all over the field.

I mean, the point of the statement was that they were about as low as they could get, so in that respect it's kind of acknowledging that the Sox destroyed them. I guess it kind of depends on what he was asked, too. I'm not sure what question he was answering, I just heard the clip on The Score. Did you happen to catch that part of the equation?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
HOLY SH*T MOVE ON

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 21, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
Oh my god. Really?

Ozzie...does not...have...anything...to do...with...the...White Sox...anymore!

He made people smile, he was in your face, he was funny...I don't care. So if a guy gets employee of the month once, but his next few years he's chronically late, mouths off to supervisors, and generally makes an ass of himself, we should focus only on his plaque hanging in the hallway? To hell with that. I got dibs on his office.

You guys don't get it.

When Ozzie gets attacked I respond.

When I get baited to comment on Ozzie, I comment.

I love Ozzie. I still stand up for him and I take the bait that is dangled at me a lot. Get it?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 21, 2012 -> 05:53 PM)
You guys don't get it.

I love Ozzie. I still stand up for him and I take the bait that is dangled at me a lot. Get it?

So saying: oz = Big hat....No Cattle is being "attacked"?

Wow!

You said you went to B.Rice; sure you didn't go to that "other" HS on 99th street?

QUOTE (59th street @ May 22, 2012 -> 02:10 AM)
So saying: oz = Big hat....No Cattle is being "attacked"?

Wow!

You said you went to B.Rice; sure you didn't go to that "other" HS on 99th street?

No but I went to dances in which the Mother Mac girls attended as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 21, 2012 -> 05:53 PM)
You guys don't get it.

And unfortunately we take the bait that you dangle out there. Even if he was as good as you think (which he was not - he quit on the team), why keep praising him? He's the manager of the Marlins now. If you love Ozzie so much (more than the Sox it seems), be a Marlins fan.

There's probably no one on this site that doesn't give Ozzie a ton of credit for 2005. He did a great job. But his last 2+ years in Chicago were bad. 2011 was horrible. And it took him absolutely no time to make an ass of himself in Miami. If he keeps it up, and the Marlins don't win a division title soon, he'll be looking for a job somewhere else. The Ozzie era (good and bad) is over in Chicago. I'll let it go if you do.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 22, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
And unfortunately we take the bait that you dangle out there. Even if he was as good as you think (which he was not - he quit on the team), why keep praising him? He's the manager of the Marlins now. If you love Ozzie so much (more than the Sox it seems), be a Marlins fan.

There's probably no one on this site that doesn't give Ozzie a ton of credit for 2005. He did a great job. But his last 2+ years in Chicago were bad. 2011 was horrible. And it took him absolutely no time to make an ass of himself in Miami. If he keeps it up, and the Marlins don't win a division title soon, he'll be looking for a job somewhere else. The Ozzie era (good and bad) is over in Chicago. I'll let it go if you do.

I guess you don't believe me.

I have let it go.

I bring Ozzie up ONLY when I'm sick of reading a specific pot shot to Ozzie. I don't comment on every one but I'd say probably 75 percent of the time they piss me off and I do.

I never just randomly bring up Ozzie or Pierre or Wise or Garland or Dye. I just respond. I don't understand the pile on mentality of Ozzie. Sox fans can't let it go. I am willing to let it go.

p.s. Who cares if he quit on the team with two games left. He had another job offer and took it with the Sox going nowhere.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
p.s. Who cares if he quit on the team with two games left. He had another job offer and took it with the Sox going nowhere.

and this right here is why the bait continues to be passed back and forth. For every fan of the White Sox, this IS a big f***ing deal

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 22, 2012 -> 07:55 PM)
and this right here is why the bait continues to be passed back and forth. For every fan of the White Sox, this IS a big f***ing deal

Not every fan, cause you have to admit I am a fan. And I don't care. The season was over. Didn't Cooper manage the games? It was prolly good to give him a couple considering his ego. If it was Cora, my bad.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 22, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Not every fan, cause you have to admit I am a fan. And I don't care. The season was over. Didn't Cooper manage the games? It was prolly good to give him a couple considering his ego. If it was Cora, my bad.

Yes, it is a big deal to Sox fans. And he may have left the team with a few games left, but he quit long before that.

I wasn't aware Cooper had ego issues.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)

Let me break it down greg.

The fact that Oswaldo José Guillén Barrios had another job offer mid-season, while he was managing a team, means one thing.

He was talking to another team during the season, which is kind of against MLB rules (that's why we got Marinez and Martinez).

He used that to try and extort more money out of Reinsdorf, despite failing with massively talented rosters that were often picked to win the division. Some were even built to his exact specifications (rotating DH bulls***).

Knowing he wasn't getting a raise, Ozzie wanted to leave, so he upstaged Mark Buehrle's final start as a White Sox pitcher by asking for a release.

To get released with a year left on his contract, that means he had to knowingly tank the team.

Ozzie Guillen knowingly made bad move after bad move to destroy the White Sox record last year so he could go get more money in South Beach because he is a greedy son of a b**** who's ego enabled him to let his children destroy this franchises infrastructure. If the GM had just been allowed to do his job and the manager just done his without letting his ego get in the way, the White Sox would have a few more AL Central titles under they're belt right now.

And Coop is the one with ego problems?

Get that bulls*** out of here.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 22, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)

The fact that Oswaldo José Guillén Barrios had another job offer mid-season, while he was managing a team, means one thing.

He was talking to another team during the season, which is kind of against MLB rules (that's why we got Marinez and Martinez).

He used that to try and extort more money out of Reinsdorf, despite failing with massively talented rosters that were often picked to win the division. Some were even built to his exact specifications (rotating DH bulls***).

Knowing he wasn't getting a raise, Ozzie wanted to leave, so he upstaged Mark Buehrle's final start as a White Sox pitcher by asking for a release.

To get released with a year left on his contract, that means he had to knowingly tank the team.

Ozzie Guillen knowingly made bad move after bad move to destroy the White Sox record last year so he could go get more money in South Beach because he is a greedy son of a b**** who's ego enabled him to let his children destroy this franchises infrastructure. If the GM had just been allowed to do his job and the manager just done his without letting his ego get in the way, the White Sox would have a few more AL Central titles under they're belt right now.

I agree with post 100%

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 22, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)

I applaud you. :notworthy

If the GM had just been allowed to do his job and the manager just done his without letting his ego get in the way, the White Sox would have a few more AL Central titles under they're belt right now.

Ugh on the GM lovefest.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
Ugh on the GM lovefest.

Did I stutter in my post? Let me answer it for you. No I didn't because that is impossible while typing.

I said let him do his job and Ozzie do his. As in neither interferes in the others.

That wasn't GM love. That was "GM wanted real DH, manager didn't want real DH. Manager got his way. It failed. So GM gets real DH, manager throws hissy fit. Destroys team." Maybe if Ozzie's f***tard sons weren't given jobs by the team, then constructing teams would have been easier.

But Ozzie want a team that couldn't hit home runs. Ozzie wanted a team of 9 Ozzie's on offense (see: s***ty, but grindy. No power.) and nothing but Buehrle's for pitching. The problem was the only soft tossing lefty that can pitch like Buehrle is Buehrle. He's one unique motherf***er. But we got Juan Pierre to provide the Ozzie-esque offense.

Ozzie wanted to manufacture runs. You know what manufactures runs? Crossing home. Home runs facilitate that. Ozzie didn't like home runs because he had the HR power of Juan Pierre/Jerry Owens, so therefore, he didn't want them on his team, even though his teams were only good when they hit the f*** out of the ball.