Post game - Todd Hollandsworth

59th street

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
If you replace the word "GM" with "Ozzie", you have the exact response we have to 75% of your posts.

Not really because I also applaud Kenny for 2005. I did want Ozzie to win the man-man standoff between he and Kenny. I've already congratulated Kenny supporters for winning that battle. It was an epic battle and Kenny won.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
Ugh on the GM lovefest.

I don't think there are more than a handful of people on this board that really love the job KW has done recently. We just look like we do because a certain duo on Soxtalk appear to have axes to grind, forcing us to defend someone we'd otherwise be fairly critical of.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 22, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
I don't think there are more than a handful of people on this board that really love the job KW has done recently. We just look like we do because a certain duo on Soxtalk appear to have axes to grind, forcing us to defend someone we'd otherwise be fairly critical of.

Either you approve of the job he's doing or you don't.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
Either you approve of the job he's doing or you don't.

False. And as always, just another attempt to force everyone into saying "KW m ust be fired!". Just like every other one of your posts.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 22, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)

POTY

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
False. And as always, just another attempt to force everyone into saying "KW m ust be fired!". Just like every other one of your posts.

What more is there than approve/disapprove?

Edited by Marty34

KW may be doing a good job since around the time he offered himself to be fired. I'm basically evaluating the time before that separately, given the core that we had and the "win now" and "all-in" mentality. Seems like now we're in "future first" mode, but with the intention of remaining competitive. We'll do what we can to put a winning on-field product out there, but not if it is likely to mortgage our future (don't expect us to ship farm players to get the missing piece if we're in the race)

So...most of the shuffling we've done since the end of last season is the acquisition of young guys, especially young arms. It seems like we're likely to get some MLB starters out of the bunch, especially if we include some of the upper-level, low ceiling guys that we already had in the system. But here's the truth -- we've hardly seen any of these guys play. Even if we had, there's probably a reason we don't get paid by the White Sox to evaluate those guys. We are forced to take scattered reports from varied sources (some of whom have seen these minor leaguers as much as us) and try to determine if Kenny has made a good decision. A far cry from trying to decide if MLB players X and Y for MLB player Z is a good deal.

We basically have to wait to know if these players are going to pan out. There are encouraging signs and less encouraging signs. I'm not a KW lifer, but I like the philosophy of stockpiling young arms and buying low on many of them. Since he's been given the keys to the car, I'm going to take a wait and see approach for now -- why call for his firing now? Because the rebuilding team isn't winning? Winning too much? Nothing to do but wait and hope that the team remains fairly fun to watch.

Thinking of home-grown players on the MLB roster...I will for these purposes not include just draft picks, but guys who were minor leaguers or fringe major leaguers when we acquired them. I make this distinction because if these guys are good, that suggests that management made the right call when the call was not obvious (signing Adam Dunn, for instance, was a move that anyone could have predicted would result in him hitting a bunch of bombs):

Pitchers

-Danks

-Humber (given the amount of releases, I consider him a non-MLB player at the time of acquisition)

-Sale

-Reed

-Jones

-Santiago

-Stewart

Batters

-Flowers

-Beckham

-Escobar

-Alexei

-ADA

-Lillibridge

-Viciedo

-Morel

The success or non-success of many of these guys will likely determine KW's fate. Some of them don't matter (Escobar comes to mind), but obviously some of these guys need to become fixtures. Only a few of these homegrown guys are fixtures -- Danks, Alexei are basically the only ones and Alexei may be nearing the end of his run as a fixture on the South Side.

I think you're going to be happy with the following on your roster for the near future (maybe 2-3 seasons from now)

-Danks ($) to remind us he's not cheap

-Alexei ($) to remind us he's not cheap

-Humber

-Sale

-Reed

-Viciedo

-ADA

These ones are toss-ups IMO that need to work out or KW really has to pull something out of thin air to replace them:

-Jones

-Beckham

-Morel

-Santiago

^^ they don't all have to work out, but they can't ALL fizzle out or else we're spending valuable dollars to fill those holes. Santiago probably at a different level than the other 3, especially given all the arms we have.

Sorry for all the lists, just my thoughts. I hope I have stated opinions in this long post :P

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 23, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
What more is there than approve/disapprove?

Wow. You must be a pollster for Fox or something.

In reality, satisfaction is a broad spectrum ranging from "infinitely elated" to "f*** the f***ing f***er, that !#@&$ !$(@". Currently, I fall in the middle, somewhere around mildly dissatisfied.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 22, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
Did I stutter in my post? Let me answer it for you. No I didn't because that is impossible while typing.

I said let him do his job and Ozzie do his. As in neither interferes in the others.

That wasn't GM love. That was "GM wanted real DH, manager didn't want real DH. Manager got his way. It failed. So GM gets real DH, manager throws hissy fit. Destroys team." Maybe if Ozzie's f***tard sons weren't given jobs by the team, then constructing teams would have been easier.

But Ozzie want a team that couldn't hit home runs. Ozzie wanted a team of 9 Ozzie's on offense (see: s***ty, but grindy. No power.) and nothing but Buehrle's for pitching. The problem was the only soft tossing lefty that can pitch like Buehrle is Buehrle. He's one unique motherf***er. But we got Juan Pierre to provide the Ozzie-esque offense.

Ozzie wanted to manufacture runs. You know what manufactures runs? Crossing home. Home runs facilitate that. Ozzie didn't like home runs because he had the HR power of Juan Pierre/Jerry Owens, so therefore, he didn't want them on his team, even though his teams were only good when they hit the f*** out of the ball.

This is a great post, and that first line is classic.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 23, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
Wow. You must be a pollster for Fox or something.

In reality, satisfaction is a broad spectrum ranging from "infinitely elated" to "f*** the f***ing f***er, that !#@&$ !$(@". Currently, I fall in the middle, somewhere around mildly dissatisfied.

I'd go with "spent years getting good players which his manager either refused to properly utilize or clashed with until they were utterly worthless."

QUOTE (Jake @ May 23, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
We basically have to wait to know if these players are going to pan out. There are encouraging signs and less encouraging signs. I'm not a KW lifer, but I like the philosophy of stockpiling young arms and buying low on many of them. Since he's been given the keys to the car, I'm going to take a wait and see approach for now -- why call for his firing now? Because the rebuilding team isn't winning? Winning too much? Nothing to do but wait and hope that the team remains fairly fun to watch

My view is the most important pieces to this rebuild are on the roster currently and if they don't produce there's nothing on the farm for awhile. If KW is right about Sale, Danks, Viciedo, Reed, and Beckham we win the division or are within 5 games this year. If he's wrong about them, I don't want him heading up a 3-5 year rebuild.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 23, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
My view is the most important pieces to this rebuild are on the roster currently and if they don't produce there's nothing on the farm for awhile. If KW is right about Sale, Danks, Viciedo, Reed, and Beckham we win the division or are within 5 games this year. If he's wrong about them, I don't want him heading up a 3-5 year rebuild.

I can go with that. You need success from 4/5 of them or else, like I said, or someone has to appear out of thin air quickly.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 23, 2012 -> 06:45 PM)
I can go with that. You need success from 4/5 of them or else, like I said, or someone has to appear out of thin air quickly.

I appreciate the understanding of my view. Somehow it gets spun in to having an agenda or an axe to grind.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 22, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
Did I stutter in my post? Let me answer it for you. No I didn't because that is impossible while typing.

I said let him do his job and Ozzie do his. As in neither interferes in the others.

That wasn't GM love. That was "GM wanted real DH, manager didn't want real DH. Manager got his way. It failed. So GM gets real DH, manager throws hissy fit. Destroys team." Maybe if Ozzie's f***tard sons weren't given jobs by the team, then constructing teams would have been easier.

But Ozzie want a team that couldn't hit home runs. Ozzie wanted a team of 9 Ozzie's on offense (see: s***ty, but grindy. No power.) and nothing but Buehrle's for pitching. The problem was the only soft tossing lefty that can pitch like Buehrle is Buehrle. He's one unique motherf***er. But we got Juan Pierre to provide the Ozzie-esque offense.

Ozzie wanted to manufacture runs. You know what manufactures runs? Crossing home. Home runs facilitate that. Ozzie didn't like home runs because he had the HR power of Juan Pierre/Jerry Owens, so therefore, he didn't want them on his team, even though his teams were only good when they hit the f*** out of the ball.

Made even more ironic by the presence on his roster of perhaps the best young home run hitter in baseball, Mr. Stanton.

Hanley Ramirez isn't a bad hitter, either. Even Infante has emerged as a deep threat, but Logan Morrison has been pretty disappointing.

Somehow they've been winning games with Greg Freakin' Dobbs as their clean-up hitter.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2012 -> 02:32 AM)
Hmmm...I wonder how that would be. Could the manager have anything to do with it?

According to you the manager has nothing to do with the way the players perform on the field. So no, the manager has nothing to do with it.