Sox sign Orlando Hudson

flavum

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ May 24, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)
Does playing third base cause back issues, or have the Sox just had bad luck getting 3B that have back issues?

I've wondered this as well. I can't think of many baseball players with back problems, they never seem to get much press.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 24, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
Does playing third base cause back issues, or have the Sox just had bad luck getting 3B that have back issues?

Well, that is a position where you're responding quickly, twisting a lot, and diving a fair amount if you're doing it right.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor

White Sox 3B Brent Morel (back) hoping to start rehab with AAA Charlotte Wednesday

hopefully they leave him down there until he can show he at least can hit down there

‘‘It’s just kind of a little bulged disc, just kind of get that separation back so it’s not so much bone-on-bone,’’ Morel said of the injury. ‘‘Give it a little time.’’

As he was giving that description, Morel’s cell phone dropped in his locker. Watching him bend over to get it and place it back on the shelf was painful in itself. Give it a little time?

Morel, 25, said doctors have told him surgery is not being weighed as an option yet. He admitted he’s not just forgetting Crede’s back issues.

‘‘It’s true — it’s going to be in the back of my mind a little bit, but hopefully I won’t have to cross that bridge,’’ Morel said.

Besides, there’s another bridge he’s still trying to cross. Morel’s situation is complicated; details are murky about a condition that started as a mysterious loss of weight.

According to a Sox source, Morel was having issues since the spring with keeping weight on and was feeling lethargic at times, raising a red flag about what was initially thought to be Crohn’s disease. After that was ruled out, there was concern he might have to undergo surgery on his intestine. Celiac disease was thrown around.

Morel didn’t want to go into too many details about his issue but said that as of Tuesday, the plan involves a change of diet.

‘‘It’s not celiac disease, but it’s just a sensitivity to wheat,’’ he said. ‘‘I have to eat gluten-free, but actually I finally have been able to keep [some weight] on. I went into spring training at 220, and I’m back up to 215 right now. For right now, I just have to have a gluten-free diet, and so far it seems to be OK as we go forward.’’

www.suntimes.com/sports (Cowley)

It's still my opinion that Morel needs to spend weeks in AAA. He needs to prove his health AND his ability to hit.

Bill Melton says "you don't deserve to lose your position to injury." No, Bill, he deserves to lose it based on his .170 batting average. If he spent 40 games playing that badly because of his health, well, he's an idiot. Just means that he needs to prove his health beyond a doubt in the minor leagues. We're in a pennant race and I don't want to see a gimp .170 hitter in our lineup

QUOTE (Jake @ May 27, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
It's still my opinion that Morel needs to spend weeks in AAA. He needs to prove his health AND his ability to hit.

Bill Melton says "you don't deserve to lose your position to injury." No, Bill, he deserves to lose it based on his .170 batting average. If he spent 40 games playing that badly because of his health, well, he's an idiot. Just means that he needs to prove his health beyond a doubt in the minor leagues. We're in a pennant race and I don't want to see a gimp .170 hitter in our lineup

Why is that his call if he's not covering up the injury?

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Ventura today on when Morel returns: "It’s tough, Orlando is playing well. He’s had a little infusion into the lineup.''

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

"You don’t like guys losing a job from injury. A lot of what was happening to Brent was because of his back. Want to see where he’s at."

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ May 30, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
You're tryin' too hard to make it believable

We actaully do. See that "Cost controlled talent" thread? Another addition to that would be great. And if you're really concerned about this season, then having Orlando Hudson replace Escobar as a legit IF backup would be a substantial upgrade if Morel could put up anything better than the .700-ish OPS hudson has put up over the last few seasons combined.

Interesting. I wasn't aware about the other issues. Makes his struggles look more like health issues then anything else, which, hopefully he can get squared away and get back to playing and developing. Lot of people who wrote Brent off will be pleasantly surprised if he can get back to 100%. He can be a very solid 3rd baseman for the Sox.

He needs to stay down there for a couple weeks at least. If he looks competent during that span and Hudsons no longer having good abs like he has been then I wouldnt be opposed to bringing him back. Right now it sure is refreshing to have O-dog down there in the 9 hole working counts and not aggravating the hell outta me like "cant hit" brent

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
He needs to stay down there for a couple weeks at least. If he looks competent during that span and Hudsons no longer having good abs like he has been then I wouldnt be opposed to bringing him back. Right now it sure is refreshing to have O-dog down there in the 9 hole working counts and not aggravating the hell outta me like "cant hit" brent

As one of Brent's defenders, I absolutely agree with this. He can be on a rehab stint for like 20 days according to stuff I checked a while ago, so he needs to hit well enough that it looks like he clearly belongs at a higher level than Charlotte. If he struggles or doesn't earn a callup, then either DL him again and restart the rehab stint if he's still having back issues (which can be done), or burn an option year for him.

I'm not a Morel defender by any stretch, but I will mention that it sure doesn't help get you going when the rest of the lineup is as bad as it was at the beginning of the year as well. That plus the injury of course should lead anyone here to want to still see what happens with this guy. The glove is obviously good enough to still see what we have.

But not at the cost of current wins, as has been said. There's no way you can send down Escobar since he's such a good backup ss.

The quality of at bats we've had from O-Dog are qualitatively much better than Morel this season or even last season. His bat is going to come around some but it is difficult to say how much. His defense has been fine and it might actually be difficult to say that Morel outdefends him given the same plays over the past week or so. I'm not for changing anything unless Orlando's play drops off rapidly or Morel really looks good in Charlotte. The key for Morel will be how healthy he is after ~2 weeks of everyday play. Seems like he's hardly had any time to heal up.

I don't think we're in too bad of a spot right now as far as our options at 3B go...but maybe the winning streak is rubbing off on me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
We actaully do. See that "Cost controlled talent" thread? Another addition to that would be great. And if you're really concerned about this season, then having Orlando Hudson replace Escobar as a legit IF backup would be a substantial upgrade if Morel could put up anything better than the .700-ish OPS hudson has put up over the last few seasons combined.

Robin could give Morel his job back and just play Hudson a little bit more than the average once a week player. Send Esky down.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
The O Dog is the most beloved .185 hitting, 2 errors in a week at 3B player in Soxtalk history.

Good post. He's been more a good luck charm than anything else. I think everybody's just so relieved to see somebody else at third besides Morel.