Things are good, not great, but legitimately good

ILMOU

In the past couple of weeks, even though our record hasn't been stellar, my worry-level about a large number of key players has greatly diminished:

Dunn (2011 was just a dream, like that season of Dallas...and might he be even better in pitch selection than before?)

AJP (seemingly mindful that 2013 is last chance for big payday)

Viciedo (needs to find a permanent spot in the 5 hole when Paulie returns)

Beckham (I now think he can be at least average again, not total suck)

Sale (won't rehash, but kidz gonna start an All-Star game in a Sox uni)

Reed (up to the task mentally, as well as the raw stuff - will soon be better than Santos, if he isn't already - should have closed from day one)

Floyd (more good than bad, which is all we can really ask, and miles ahead of where he was in holding runners)

Humber (good recent bounceback after PG hangover)

Peavy (no fluke despite bad inning)

and now Danks

The holes, where they exist, are beyond glaring, as we all know, but I maintain that this is a better problem to have (and easier to fix or at gerry-rig) than a lack of real quality in the lineup, and ours ain't so bad with a dangerous 3-4-5 and a legit 1.

I kinda figure Rios will settle into average-mediocre, which is still light years better than last year. Lexi's track record says he's bound to improve offensively as it warms up. Beckham, Tank and DeAza are the key to the season.

Ax for Stew. Need to find a bench, but that's tradedeadlineable.

Thornton better show something soon, so we can dump him respectably.

We're a real winning streak away from making us all believers, and getting the fan turnout that makes us buyers (hole-fillers). The rest of the division is doing their part to make it possible.

Semi-long-term, we need our minors to produce a total of 3 OF and IF and 1-2 SP over the next few years. Our system fully blows, but the task isn't overwhelming.

Maybe it's the fumes wafting through my window from the rubber plant downriver, maybe it's the fact that I'm headin' for Vegas in a few hours, but all Kool-Aid aside, IMO, this season still has a real chance.

You conduct each season as it unfolds in this sport, and you don't have to derail a partial rebuild to get it done.

In a season where the Majors' two best records are owned by the O's and Dodgers (picked by nearly everyone for last place), why not us??

Cup half-full. All in.

Wish me luck, boyzzz

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 19, 2012 -> 09:15 PM)
In the past couple of weeks, even though our record hasn't been stellar, my worry-level about a large number of key players has greatly diminished:

Dunn (2011 was just a dream, like that season of Dallas...and might he be even better in pitch selection than before?)

AJP (seemingly mindful that 2013 is last chance for big payday)

Viciedo (needs to find a permanent spot in the 5 hole when Paulie returns)

Beckham (I now think he can be at least average again, not total suck)

Sale (won't rehash, but kidz gonna start an All-Star game in a Sox uni)

Reed (up to the task mentally, as well as the raw stuff - will soon be better than Santos, if he isn't already, should have closed from day one)

Floyd (more good than bad, which is all we can really ask, and miles ahead of where he was in holding runners)

Humber (good recent bounceback after PG hangover)

Peavy (no fluke despite bad inning)

and now Danks

The holes, where they exist, are beyond glaring, as we all know, but I maintain that this is a better problem to have (and easier to fix or at gerry-rig) than a lack of real quality in the lineup, and ours ain't so bad with a dangerous 3-4-5 and a legit 1.

I kinda figure Rios will settle into average-mediocre, which is still light years better than last year. Lexi's track record says he's bound to improve offensively as it warms up. Beckham, Tank and DeAza are the key to the season.

Ax for Stew. Need to find a bench, but that's tradedeadlineable.

Thornton better show something soon, so we can dump him respectably.

We're a real winning streak away from making us all believers, and getting the fan turnout that makes us buyers (hole-fillers). The rest of the division is doing their part to make it possible.

Semi-long-term, we need our minors to produce a total of 3 OF and IF and 1-2 SP over the next few years. Our system fully blows, but the task isn't overwhelming.

Maybe it's the fumes wafting through my window from the rubber plant downriver, maybe it's the fact that I'm headin' for Vegas in a few hours, but all Kool-Aid aside, IMO, this season still has a real chance.

You conduct each season as it unfolds in this sport, and you don't have to derail a partial rebuild to get it done.

In a season where the Majors' two best records are owned by the O's and Dodgers (picked by nearly everyone for last place), why not us??

Cup half-full. All in.

Wish me luck, boyzzz

Enjoy Vegas, Stan! Looks like you're coming just in time for the heat wave!

Edited by iamshack

It's still going to come down to pitching, as it always does.

It is pretty amazing to be within one game of .500 with 3B at around a 400 OPS for 1/4th of a season (Morel, Lillibridge and Escobar), SS at 500 and 2B at 600.

We've gone through at least four blown saves and almost zero production from our #2 hitters.

Well, M, surprised you weren't here to make an announcement that rebuilding was never a reality and that KW's job is hanging in the balance based on making the playoffs this season.

As far as the Twins go, they have been playing much better in the last week. Which of course is bad timing for us, as usual.

24-9 is a little bit unlikely, but 22-11's probably doable.

By the way, the Sox interleague streak is now something like 52-22 or 53-22, we've been surviving the last three years (especially 2010) largely because of those games, as we've played neither well at home nor particularly well within the division.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
Things are not that good.

This is our first series win in a long long time.

Also we still play lousy in the Cell.

Theyre 7-4 in there last 11, they havent won a series in awhile because 3 of the last 4 series have had 2 or 4 games and theyve split all of those.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

Upcoming schedule with my personal prediction (Amateur at best):

20 May - @ CUBS Win

22 May - Twins Win

23 May - Twins Win

24 May - Twins Win

25 May - Indians Loss

26 May - Indians Win

27 May - Indians Win

28 May - @ Rays Win

29 May - @ Rays Loss

30 May - @ Rays Win

8-2 mini hot streak with our record being 28-22 and possibly looking at 2nd or 1st. In a perfect world maybe but at least I have optimism that Dunn and Tank plus Paulie will continue to develop a very decent middle of the order.

I wish Tank would genuinely learn to take walks and his OBP would be very good.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ May 20, 2012 -> 03:48 AM)
Upcoming schedule with my personal prediction (Amateur at best):

20 May - @ CUBS Win

22 May - Twins Win

23 May - Twins Win

24 May - Twins Win

25 May - Indians Loss

26 May - Indians Win

27 May - Indians Win

28 May - @ Rays Win

29 May - @ Rays Loss

30 May - @ Rays Win

8-2 mini hot streak with our record being 28-22 and possibly looking at 2nd or 1st. In a perfect world maybe but at least I have optimism that Dunn and Tank plus Paulie will continue to develop a very decent middle of the order.

I wish Tank would genuinely learn to take walks and his OBP would be very good.

you think we take two of three from the indians AND rays? come on now. lol

Even if we did have a serious run to 28-22, recall that the 2002 team started with that record and yet still sputtered to 81 wins. The 2004 team started 29-21 and ended up with 83.

Let's take a wait and see attitude until mid June before we go jumping on any bandwagons.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 20, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
Even if we did have a serious run to 28-22, recall that the 2002 team started with that record and yet still sputtered to 81 wins. The 2004 team started 29-21 and ended up with 83.

Let's take a wait and see attitude until mid June before we go jumping on any bandwagons.

That 2004 team also lost Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez to season ending injuries.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 20, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)

Is this 02 or 04?? Stop it, theyre playing good baseball right now, enjoy it.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 20, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
Is this 02 or 04?? Stop it, theyre playing good baseball right now, enjoy it.

Because 7 out of 11 doesn't happen every year.

I do enjoy this, I just am not sold on the team being particularly competitive on a divisional or league level.

Also, I would be enjoying this a lot more if our young hitters were producing.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 20, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
April: .434 OPS

May: .743 OPS

And that's while scalding the ball right at people (sporting a May BABIP of .263)

May OPS would be .811 without that Wells home run robbery. Fun with sample sizes and arbitrary dates!

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 20, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
And that's while scalding the ball right at people (sporting a May BABIP of .263)

May OPS would be .811 without that Wells home run robbery. Fun with sample sizes and arbitrary dates!

By the same token, he's probably one 0-fer away from being sub 700?

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 20, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)

I do enjoy this, I just am not sold on the team being particularly competitive on a divisional or league level.

As others have stated Beckham and Dayan have certainly been producing.

Fun fact, over the last 7 days Dayan has been the 2nd hottest batter in the league (based on yahoo fantasy rankings, Votto #1)

Anyway, this team can certainly compete for at least one of the wild cards, and IMO there's no question about that. They were hovering around .500 with zero production out of Tank and Becks, now with them producing they add a 2 hole hitter and a middle of the lineup bat that they didnt have early on. If you add a 2 hole hitter and a middle of the lineup hitter to a .500 team, that team is gonna compete. They're also still getting nothing out of Lexi and based on his track record they will sooner or later so thats another good bat to sure up the lineup...And I like the addition of O-dog, he might not be a good hitter anymore but i think just his personality will spark this club.

I think at the beginning the pitching staff was great, right now I think the hitting will be good. If the Sox can bring those 2 together theres no question they compete

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 20, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)

This is a middle of the road team with a lot of youngsters. They aren't as good as when they are hot, and they aren't as bad as when they are slumping.

The encouraging things right now are seeing Dayan and Gordon hitting the ball hard, along with the stellar pitching. If you would have told me three months ago that Nate Jones would be in the pen, I would have cried.

.500 right now is not that bad. Seems like they usually play pretty well between now and the ASG. If they can get 4-5 games up on .500 at the break, it will be a successful first half.

They're going to fade in the stretch (not enough horsepower) but if they can finish .500 for the year, it's not a bad year.