Sox to honor CPD officers for NATO duties

NorthSideSox72

Per Trib

The Chicago White Sox will honor the Chicago Police Department for their service and professionalism performed during the NATO Summit with two tributes.

The Sox will hold a special tribute to the services of officers during Wednesday night's game against Minnesota at U.S. Cellular Field.

Also, each sworn member of the Chicago Police Department will receive two complimentary tickets to one of 10 select games this season for their service during the NATO Summit.

''Mayor Emanuel asked the White Sox organization to join the city of Chicago in honoring the men and women of the Chicago Police Department who represent the most dedicated and finest of our great city, and we are proud to recognize their service,'' Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said in a statement. ''The White Sox thank these true Chicago heroes who served our city during the NATO Summit."

Pretty nice.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 22, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
One of 10 "select" games? Let me guess. 6 vs. Seattle, 3 vs. Oakland, & 1 vs. KC?

CPD has something like 15,000 sworn officers, that's 30,000 free tickets they plan to give out. I really don't think anyone is going to complain if they aren't CHC or NYY games.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 22, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
Very interesting that this was something that Rahm wanted the Sox to do

Yeah, I wonder how that worked. And if Rahm really did go to the Sox himself with it, did he do that with the Cubs too?

Its great marketing for the Sox as well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
CPD has something like 15,000 sworn officers, that's 30,000 free tickets they plan to give out. I really don't think anyone is going to complain if they aren't CHC or NYY games.

I find it odd that they didn't include the thousands of suburban officers that are doing it as well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 22, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
I find it odd that they didn't include the thousands of suburban officers that are doing it as well.

I'm pretty sure Rahm Emmanuel doesn't give a crap about suburban cops.

Also, talking to suburban cops, NATO was a bunch of nothing for them.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 22, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
State Police were in the middle of everything. They also had some pretty big dudes.

My neighbor is a State cop and he is assigned to Spain. He is a big Sox fan and ticked when he heard the only chicago cops were getting the benefit. Although the OT is nice for him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 22, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
State Police were in the middle of everything. They also had some pretty big dudes.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 22, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
My neighbor is a State cop and he is assigned to Spain. He is a big Sox fan and ticked when he heard the only chicago cops were getting the benefit. Although the OT is nice for him.

That's true, the State Police had a presence downtown. As did Metra and Amtrak cops. But again, not Emmanuel's guys, and he was apparently the one who asked or brought up the topic. The Sox may reach out to ISP on their own, we'll see.

LOL I hear what you're saying about select games.

I never understood why on Opening Day you have all these Navy guys unfurling the flag but then you stick them in the furthest-away upper deck.

Why? Because capitalism trumps patriotism every time.

But it's still a nice gesture because CPD handled this weekend brilliantly. Rahm must be totally proud.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ May 22, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
LOL I hear what you're saying about select games.

I never understood why on Opening Day you have all these Navy guys unfurling the flag but then you stick them in the furthest-away upper deck.

Why? Because capitalism trumps patriotism every time.

But it's still a nice gesture because CPD handled this weekend brilliantly. Rahm must be totally proud.

You do realize that active duty military get FREE best available(as in lower deck) for all games but od/cubs/premium. I dont get worked up over the one game where they have to sit upstairs after BEING ON THE FIELD. Edited by ewokpelts

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ May 22, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
You do realize that active duty military get FREE best available(as in lower deck) for all games but od/cubs/premium. I dont get worked up over the one game where they have to sit upstairs after BEING ON THE FIELD.

This.. The last game i went to had me in section 133 row 22 for free, pretty awesome deal i'd say. Unlike the cubs where there are no military deals and CPD get to enter the park for free but have to be in standing room only.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ May 23, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
This.. The last game i went to had me in section 133 row 22 for free, pretty awesome deal i'd say. Unlike the cubs where there are no military deals and CPD get to enter the park for free but have to be in standing room only.

I am amazed they let you in the park wearing your glittery onesie

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
Yeah, I wonder how that worked. And if Rahm really did go to the Sox himself with it, did he do that with the Cubs too?

Its great marketing for the Sox as well.

Rahm was reportedly pretty livid with the Ricketts family last week.