It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
With MLB.TV on the PS3, I get to hear a lot of announcers. It's like a breath of fresh air, listening to people who are younger than 100 years old talk about the game and reference players from the 90s, and have conversations that engage me that I haven't heard a million times before - Hawk doesn't do this.

Hawk's schtick - I am finally tired of it. You could just have a Hawkbot at this point and really have no idea he wasn't actually there. Cue up his catch phrases and have someone record player names in his voice.

As for Stone, I think he's brilliant, and with the right sportscaster he can be great, but with Hawk it just doesn't work. The reason is simple - no one with Hawk will work. He always turns it into a dick measuring contest, cuts the other broadcaster off, and winds up telling me about some garbage player from the Red Sox in the late 60s.

The tv feed needs a breath of fresh air, and someone who went to broadcasting school, a real broadcaster, doing the play by play, and then save the homerism and the baseball references for a guy like Frank Thomas to be the color analyst.

I have spent my entire lifetime listening to Hawk. I have laughed at his calls for years. I have yelled "HE GAWN" "STRETCH" "HEEYEEESSS" "DAT GUMMIT" "YOU GOTTA BE BLEEPIN' ME" - I have enjoyed it. (not so much the "HELL YEAH" though)

I am so f***ing ready for it to end and to finally have an on screen duo that entertains me.

Let the flaming begin.

I loved Hawk growing up but his act has wore thin and his announcing just isn't up to snuff anymore. I pretty much refuse to listen to the Sox fees so I can stay away from him. In fact, I can't stand Stoney either. They are one of the worse crews in all of baseball.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawk is the pure definition of old-school. 15 years ago, you didn't have MLB extra innings or MLB.com or all the "new-school" stuff at our disposal. Hawk is a played-out dinosaur. I'd still be sad if he were gone due to the fact he's been with us so long. But his time is coming and I can't wait.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
I don't know why you believe you can impose your message board posting will on others, but you can't.

You clearly stated earlier in this very thread that you were not at all surprised that the same people who were claiming they enjoyed the broadcasting of Hawk Harrelson were also making comments in poor taste about female broadcasters.

Why did you post that?

Meatball fans are dumb people.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 22, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)
Lauren sheratdi on MLB.tv is smoking....

Shehadi...

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/personalities/?id=27273676

Notice out of all the "personalities" for MLB Network, Alanna Rizzo, Ms. Shehadi and Sam (wasn't she formerly Samantha?) Ryan are all pretty attractive.

3/32 are women...less than 10%.

The last few seasons I've thought that I would like to see Hawk move to color as part of a three person crew. I don't want to see him gone, it ushers in what I feel will be the era of bland announcers who sound like computers each one interchangeable with another.

I like Harrelson. I don't watch the game for the announcer's "insight". I would rather be entertained. I feel I've been wathcing and know enough about baseball that I don't need educated during a braodcast. To me, Harrelson is like sitting at a bar with a guy rooting for your team. I don't want a new generation announcer bombarding with all the sabermetric stats like BABIP, WAR, and the like. Then you have the horrible new catch phrases these guys come up with for their homerun call that are ridiculously stupid. Give me the "he gawn", the catbird seat, and the god guys and I'm happy.

A thread like this comes up at least once a year. I don't mind Hawk, and I don't know who they could replace him with. I have noticed that over the past few years his depth perception must be off. He's yelling "Stretch!" and "Get on back there!" on fly balls that barely make the warning track. He complains about the umpires a lot. And he has some strange man-crushes. But I have noticed that he will give props to a player on the opposing team if they make a great play. He's a homer, sure, but he's also a baseball fan.

I just think it's message board trendy to be young and know everything and complain about everyone older than 30 years old and claim "they suck at their job."

Again, someone please tell us who the good broadcasters are, besides John Rooney.

What qualities of a tv broadcaster do you appreciate or want to see?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
Meatball fans are dumb people.

So again, are you stating that people that appreciate Hawk are "meatball fans"?

Maybe there is something else to it?

Like respecting the fact that the guy has been involved in baseball about twice the number of years you have been alive? Or that he's forgotten more about baseball than you'll ever know?

I get it...I recognize he isn't polite, and he's not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to advanced metrics, and he has some of his ridiculous philosophical ramblings that change from year to year...I remember when "you were only as good as your starting pitching," now "you're only as good as your bullpen." He likes to talk himself into believing the Sox have a chance every year, but it's hard for me to blame him for that considering they are his life.

He's not close to perfect, and I respect your opinion, however I disagree.

That doesn't mean those who have an appreciation for Hawk are "meatball fans."

Why don't you stop and think that maybe you don't know everything about everything? That maybe as you get older you will recognize some things and gain some insight from experience and realize that hey, maybe I'm not the smartest person on earth after all?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:31 AM)

Like respecting the fact that the guy has been involved in baseball about twice the number of years you have been alive? Or that he's forgotten more about baseball than you'll ever know?

I get it...I recognize he isn't polite, and he's not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to advanced metrics, and he has some of his ridiculous philosophical ramblings that change from year to year...I remember when "you were only as good as your starting pitching," now "you're only as good as your bullpen." He likes to talk himself into believing the Sox have a chance every year, but it's hard for me to blame him for that considering they are his life.

Why don't you stop and think that maybe you don't know everything about everything? That maybe as you get older you will recognize some things and gain some insight from experience and realize that hey, maybe I'm not the smartest person on earth after all?

You're right. The Sox are his life, and I appreciate his enthusiasm. He also knows the game of baseball. Sure he has some long-winded stories about people many of us haven't heard of, but I think a lot of us (maybe Steve Stone as well) tune him out at times like that. I'd rather hear his "You can put it on the board, yes!" than a generic call (that you often hear with Farmer and DJ).

Steve Stone is the perfect partner for Hawk because he's so much more low key. But, like Hawk, the guy is a wealth of baseball knowledge. I like the duo in the booth.

Like I had mentioned earlier, it seems like these type of threads pop up every year. Who can we complain about next? Who can we say sucks at their job? I know, let's say Hawk is no good, but let's just focus on getting rid of the guy instead of offering up who might be a better choice.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
I just think it's message board trendy to be young and know everything and complain about everyone older than 30 years old and claim "they suck at their job."

I wasn't trying to be trendy. You sure seem to think you know everything. Thinking Ken Harrelson is bad is not trendy, it's correct. We have one of the best color men in the business being cut off from speaking and never asked for his input on anything because know it all, been there done that, revisionist history Hawk is there to tell y'all how it was back in the day.

"I tell ya hawhat Stone Pony. I ain't seen no one field the ball at short like Alexei does since Rico Petrocelli. That boy, hooo, he could go get it."

That's certainly engaging.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:31 AM)

It's so painfully black & white with you. Fans who think women don't belong on their sports networks are completely close-minded and ignorant. There are plenty of older people whom I'm happy to listen to - just because Hawk is old that doesn't mean he's right - he's making up stories and saying the same thing over and over.

I, nor anyone else on this planet, have anything left to "learn" from Hawk. Nothing. There's nothing left for him to say.

I have nothing against listening to experienced people tell me about the game. I certainly don't complain about every older person in the world. Steve Stone is 65 and I have stated multiple times in this thread that he's brilliant.

Stop painting the picture you want to see and open your f***ing eyes and learn how to comprehend words on a computer screen. No one attacked you here - if you like Hawk, good for you. I just think you're crazy and we're missing out on what could be an improved telecast.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)
He's a homer as much as anyone on earth, so if you're holding that against Hawk, you've got to hold it against Thorne. Secondly, he tries to be incredibly overdramatic and it gets old in baseball...hockey, that works, baseball....no.

Thirdly, in the past, it has been painful listening to him trying to make the Orioles sound respectful...maybe it's working better now that they actually have been winning a bit.

I've always thought Palmer was by far the better member of that team...

Eh I didn't find him all that bad in the MLB 2K games. I don't watch too many Orioles games, but I've always thought he had a decent reputation as a play by play guy.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
Can someone recommend broadcasters that are better than Hawk that I can listen to for some comparison? I'll take this with an open mind and see what I think of others.

Dave Wills

I want a PBP guy that didn't play. Hawk would be so much better if he just did his schtick as a broadcaster, and not as a former player. Nobody cares about his stories of his playing days...he hasn't played a major league game in 41 years. It's not relevant or interesting, especially if they're trying to appeal to younger fans.

And Hawk also needs to realize that he isn't on the team. I don't need dead air when the team is going bad because he's down in the dumps. His job is to call the game as a Sox guy, but fairly. It's just been way over the top bad the last 5-10 years.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
I want a PBP guy that didn't play. Hawk would be so much better if he just did his schtick as a broadcaster, and not as a former player. Nobody cares about his stories of his playing days...he hasn't played a major league game in 41 years. It's not relevant or interesting, especially if they're trying to appeal to younger fans.

And Hawk also needs to realize that he isn't on the team. I don't need dead air when the team is going bad because he's down in the dumps. His job is to call the game as a Sox guy, but fairly. It's just been way over the top bad the last 5-10 years.

You need someone talking when the team is going bad? Do you need Vin Scully telling you Alexei Ramirez was Batman for Halloween when he was 8 years old? Hawk is a television announcer., not a radio guy.

Everytime the Sox are on network TV, people are complaining about the announcers. There really isn't anyone everyone would be happy with.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't mind Hawk, he can be annoying sometimes but I see him as that old cranky White Sox fan uncle I wish I had...good for a laugh or two during games.

We can do better but we could also do much worse.

How about making a poll on this question?