It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Could this thread be closed or moved?I think it's disrespectful and petty of the Sox fan base to be critical of a legend like Hawk. I mean WTF? This would be like Cub fans blasting Harry or Sox fans blasting Harry since he was with the Sox so long as well. We're not talking about Steve Physioc here or some unknown.

I repeat ... WTF?

No. The end.

If you dont want to read it, then dont

QUOTE (th0mas35 @ May 25, 2012 -> 03:28 AM)
Long time lurker...infrequent poster but I'm 27...sox fan since I was around 10 and I absolutely love hawk. I guess your demographic is way younger than me..

I like the fact that he's a homer and is biased. I agree with others when I say it's sorta blasphemous to even attempting to remove hawk. Watching sox games won't be the same when he steps down IMO

My nephew is 10 and he loves to sit back, relax and strap it down. I think Hawk appeals to a lot more people than a lot of this board realizes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 25, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
My nephew is 10 and he loves to sit back, relax and strap it down. I think Hawk appeals to a lot more people than a lot of this board realizes.

It is definitely true that this board is not always a good reflection of the general fan base. While Hawk may only be liked by 25% here, I'd be he's over 50% among the fan base, based on how people talk about it.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
Josh Lewin?

He's doing radio games for the Mets, but I'm sure he'd rather have a TV gig.

I don't know what happened to him...he was doing the Rangers' games for the last several years with Tom Grieve and I liked them...I wonder if he tried to hold out for more money or something...

I have to say I like Hawk, I like that he's biased, I like that he's a homer...and I like that he has his catch phrases, no matter how old they get. I like the fact that he announces for US, not the other team, and I like the fact that he's almost universally hated by other teams fans because of that.

He may even be bad at times...or go into "quiet Hawk" mode when the Sox are getting thrashed.

But he's OUR homer...and I like it that way. It's like having a die hard fan announcing your games, versus a professional that doesn't care about anything but setting up their future careers, announcing for other teams, etc.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Could this thread be closed or moved?

I think it's disrespectful and petty of the Sox fan base to be critical of a legend like Hawk. I mean WTF? This would be like Cub fans blasting Harry or Sox fans blasting Harry since he was with the Sox so long as well. We're not talking about Steve Physioc here or some unknown.

I repeat ... WTF?

AHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 25, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
It is definitely true that this board is not always a good reflection of the general fan base. While Hawk may only be liked by 25% here, I'd be he's over 50% among the fan base, based on how people talk about it.

Yeah, we may be a touch overexposed to all things Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 25, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)

As long as whatever he does, he doesn't strap it on.

His catchphrases are what bridge the generations...it's also why Chris Berman had his time, with his nicknames. Here's the difference, though...

Chris Berman doesn't do it anymore for whatever reason.

Hawk has evolved. He doesn't really give out nicknames anymore (even though they were much better that the constant song references that Berman had), but Hawk has also refreshed, added new, dropped other catchphrases. Sure he has his usual that are on the sound board, but there have been some new ones like "Stretch." (whether you like it or hate it, it's newer)

As far as I'm concerned, Hawk has earned the right to stay in that booth as long as he wants. He doesn't hurt the team, he isn't losing viewers, and if anything, the addition of Steve Stone has been the best thing to happen to him since Wimpy left.

I will miss Hawk when he is gone. White Sox baseball just won't be the same. I can catch a bland and neutral telecast watching just about any other game, but there is only one Hawk sitting there rooting Konerko's long line drive to stretch or yelling "He gone!" when the opposing batter chases a pitch in the dirt. Sure the catch phrases get old, but Hawk's attitude and spirit don't. Hawk watches the game rooting for a White Sox win and makes it known just like me and I like that.

The over the top die on every pitch Sox fans that sit on message are exactly what Hawk is. There is arguably no bigger Sox fan around. Sure he is getting up there and his act can get stale but I like it more than the Len and Bob show.

Casual fans which I think are about 70% of the people watching the game enjoy the Hawkeroo.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 25, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)

Obviously correct. Nice post.

This board is overall very negative in regarding to a lot of things White Sox.

Example: Blasting Hawk a lot and even a guy like Pods just for making the Red Sox in the MLB thread.

You think average White Sox fans off this message board dislike Pods AT ALL? Uh, no. I'd venture to say anybody you ask would have good things to say about Pods and Hawk.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2012 -> 06:56 PM)

Example: Blasting Hawk a lot and even a guy like Pods just for making the Red Sox in the MLB thread.

You think average White Sox fans off this message board dislike Pods AT ALL? Uh, no. I'd venture to say anybody you ask would have good things to say about Pods and Hawk.

Average fans probably think a guy with 15 wins and a 6 ERA during a season are better than a guy with 8 wins and a 2.50 ERA.

Hawk is the BIGGEST Sox fan around & I love that he announces the games. He gets just as excited as probably 99% of this board watching the game from home. All this talk about wanting him gone is absolutely ludicrous. The guy stays in the booth as long as he wants......PERIOD.

He is White Sox baseball.

So maybe we should sign up a bunch of random people in Lawrence to give their opinions about major league baseball...or better yet, we can have Ozzie there at Applebee's doing a promotion for SoxTalk.

Why would anyone post here if they wanted the "average" fans' opinions on the White Sox?

Wouldn't that be a pretty boring and uninteresting place? It would be kind of like talking to random blitzed Cubs' fans in the Wrigley bleachers in July and August about their new "up and coming" prospects.

Questions for these average fans

1) Should Paul Konerko automatically be enshrined in the White Sox Hall of Fame and have his number posthumously retired after he was hit by a pitch? What would be the best way to honor his legacy?

2) Should lie detectors be admissable for proving guilt or intention in baseball with the decisions made by the Commissioner's Office?

3) Is it more important to win baseball games or incite bench clearing brawls which result in beers being dumped on the heads of opposing players who give the middle finger to Sox fans as they're exiting the field?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 25, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Average fans probably think a guy with 15 wins and a 6 ERA during a season are better than a guy with 8 wins and a 2.50 ERA.

These are the people that you need to buy tickets :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)

Coming from the guy who's been the most negative and pouted the entire season because the only reason he is a Sox fan is now coaching in Miami. Hilarious

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:34 PM)
Coming from the guy who's been the most negative and pouted the entire season because the only reason he is a Sox fan is now coaching in Miami. Hilarious

At least when I'm negative it's in general terms - inability to win at home; freakish way the Sox have of blowing games -- rarely do I go after players not named Rios. I went after Dunn last year but so did everybody else just about.

The only reason I was a Sox fan is Ozzie? Ridiculous. I'm such a Sox fan I not only know Carlos Lee played for the Sox but so did Carlos May, who had part of his thumb blown off in an accident, costing him what prolly would have been a great career. I know more about the White Sox than Ozzie Guillen. Though admittedly he was one of my favorite Sox players and definitely my favorite Sox manager of all time. I can match any of you in terms of knowledge of the White Sox the last many decades.

Edited by greg775