It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)
To me it is reason #1 of why he needs to stay. That was epically entertaining and well said.

Amen.

I don't get the Hawk hate. My god, some people don't realize what a gem we have doing our games. Steve Physioc truly made me nauseous the other day on the Royals game. Simply atrocious, boring homerism. "Boy oh boy, golly ol gee, would a double play look good here right now."

"Boy oh boy is Hosmer hitting into bad luck. I'd just take a little swinging bunt single from hos right now; he deserves it."

Hawk's rant was homerish, yes, but IT WAS AWESOME.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (59th street @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
That is exactly what the response from any dugout would be (minus the "self-bleeping"). Hawk conveys exactly the words and emotion that you would hear if you were in the dugout.

Additionally, he happened to be correct today. The decision by the umpire today was ridiculous.

Great Sox win today and another enjoyable broadcast to boot!

GO GO WHITE SOX.

Any announcer who acts different doesn't have a soul.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 30, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Hawk's rant after Q's ejection is reason #3,258 why the guy needs to go. What an embarassment. It's one thing to show passion, but that was just a joke. (Cue the "He's such a true Sox fan" arguments)

Are you fo realz? I was LMAO!!!! That was one of those outbursts in which you're going to remember exactly where you were when you originally heard it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
Hawk's rant after Q's ejection is reason #3,258 why the guy needs to go. What an embarassment. It's one thing to show passion, but that was just a joke. (Cue the "He's such a true Sox fan" arguments)

What would your ideal announcer's response have been? I though Hawk's reaction was exactly right and was the same as most of the Sox fans watching.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
Are you fo realz? I was LMAO!!!! That was one of those outbursts in which you're going to remember exactly where you were when you originally heard it.

That's my whole point. They are replaying it everywhere nationally, to laugh AT him, not to show how good of an announcer he is. They kept replaying it on B & B, and I was laughing my ass off too because of how crazy & senile Hawk is.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
That's my whole point. They are replaying it everywhere nationally, to laugh AT him, not to show how good of an announcer he is. They kept replaying it on B & B, and I was laughing my ass off too because of how crazy & senile Hawk is.

Not that I don't agree with your overall point, but Boers & Berstein are certainly no barometer for what is something that should be laughed at or not...those two are complete hacks that substitute their ability to make fun of others for their utter lack of any other skills or abilities.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ May 30, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
What would your ideal announcer's response have been? I though Hawk's reaction was exactly right and was the same as most of the Sox fans watching.

Maybe calm the f*** down & don't scream like a banshee about your personal vendetta vs. Wegner that you have held for 10 years? I disagreed with the call too, but acting a fool like that is just stupid IMO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
Not that I don't agree with your overall point, but Boers & Berstein are certainly no barometer for what is something that should be laughed at or not...those two are complete hacks that substitute their ability to make fun of others for their utter lack of any other skills or abilities.

I'm a fan of theirs, but I see where the other side comes from. I actually think they are way smarter than people give them credit for, but they lack the ability to hear others out and discuss both sides of the story, which leads to their making fun of everyone else. I've just learned to tune out when they start being idiots.

The fact that the Hawks thing was on Deadspin within 10 minutes, and Yahoo front page later in the day, shows how funny it was to all.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
I'm a fan of theirs, but I see where the other side comes from. I actually think they are way smarter than people give them credit for, but they lack the ability to hear others out and discuss both sides of the story, which leads to their making fun of everyone else. I've just learned to tune out when they start being idiots.

The fact that the Hawks thing was on Deadspin within 10 minutes, and Yahoo front page later in the day, shows how funny it was to all.

Bernstein actually is very intelligent...but he is incredibly arrogant. Boers, is just a freaking goofball who brings Bernstein down to his level, which results in the abuse of their position to just make an ass out of everyone they disagree with.

I would love it if Boers actually had to debate something seriously, without being able to turn it into a 3rd grade joke or without his buddy Bernstein jumping in to save the day.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)

Both are very intelligent, but are very arrogant and act like 14 year olds from time to time. If ever one of "their guys" gives them information that turns out to be correct, they can't pat themselves on the back enough. When the info is wrong, which it is most of the time, its never brought up again. Most callers don't have valid points, but if you think your entire audience is stupid and have to put down everything they say if they aren't kissing your behind, why take calls? I really have no respect for those guys.

What intrigues me is how much you hate Hawk but like grown men in the 40's and 50's who sometimes can't go 5 minutes without some sort of sexual innuendo you would hear from a sophomore in HS. If Hawk is embarrassing the White Sox, aren't these guys embarrassing the Score?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
Bernstein actually is very intelligent...but he is incredibly arrogant. Boers, is just a freaking goofball who brings Bernstein down to his level, which results in the abuse of their position to just make an ass out of everyone they disagree with.

I would love it if Boers actually had to debate something seriously, without being able to turn it into a 3rd grade joke or without his buddy Bernstein jumping in to save the day.

That's definitely true about Bernstein. I think Terry's age has caught up with him (kinda like Hawk). Occasionally there will be a discussion where Terry will say something intelligent that shows you why has been kept around for so long. Then all of a sudden he will yell "By Cracky!" and then so much for that momoent.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
Both are very intelligent, but are very arrogant and act like 14 year olds from time to time. If ever one of "their guys" gives them information that turns out to be correct, they can't pat themselves on the back enough. When the info is wrong, which it is most of the time, its never brought up again. Most callers don't have valid points, but if you think your entire audience is stupid and have to put down everything they say if they aren't kissing your behind, why take calls? I really have no respect for those guys.

What intrigues me is how much you hate Hawk but like grown men in the 40's and 50's who sometimes can't go 5 minutes without some sort of sexual innuendo you would hear from a sophomore in HS. If Hawk is embarrassing the White Sox, aren't these guys embarrassing the Score?

One is a comedy sports radio show, one is a play by play announcer for a 111 year old Major League Baseball franchise.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
One is a comedy sports radio show, one is a play by play announcer for a 111 year old Major League Baseball franchise.

It is only a comedy sports radio show because Boers seems incapable of it being anything other than that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
That's definitely true about Bernstein. I think Terry's age has caught up with him (kinda like Hawk). Occasionally there will be a discussion where Terry will say something intelligent that shows you why has been kept around for so long. Then all of a sudden he will yell "By Cracky!" and then so much for that momoent.

He only says "by cracky" where there's a reference to hair. Hence everytime the name "Furbush" comes up, he says "by cracky!". I'm pretty certain it's just a button he hits at this point.

Boers could definitely go, last week Rosenbloom (whom I love on the weekends) and Law Holmes both were on with Bernstein and it was quite enjoyable. Either way, I love the show.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
It is only a comedy sports radio show because Boers seems incapable of it being anything other than that.

There is serious discussion, there is fun discussion. It's a good mix - comparing Boers to Hawk is kind of pointless given the vast difference in their mediums.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)

You can't compare Hawk vs. B & B.

I listen to B & B to entertain me in my car as I drive home from work and/or run errands. If they annoy me, I can change the channel and listen to music instead. As soon as I pull in the garage, the radio is off and I am done with them.

Hawk is the play-by-play guy for White Sox baseball, and the only one I can listen to when I want to watch a game on TV. I can't choose a different announcer.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
You can't compare Hawk vs. B & B.

I listen to B & B to entertain me in my car as I drive home from work and/or run errands. If they annoy me, I can change the channel and listen to music instead. As soon as I pull in the garage, the radio is off and I am done with them.

Hawk is the play-by-play guy for White Sox baseball, and the only one I can listen to when I want to watch a game on TV. I can't choose a different announcer.

You can always mute it and make your own comments. If you're watching the game, why do you need someone to tell you if its a strike?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
You can always mute it and make your own comments. If you're watching the game, why do you need someone to tell you if its a strike?

This STRETCH of a post is brought to you by Hawk Harrelson.

Remember when you could get the SAP feed and listen to some of the studio guys do defacto play by play? (can you still do that?)

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
He only says "by cracky" where there's a reference to hair. Hence everytime the name "Furbush" comes up, he says "by cracky!". I'm pretty certain it's just a button he hits at this point.

Boers could definitely go, last week Rosenbloom (whom I love on the weekends) and Law Holmes both were on with Bernstein and it was quite enjoyable. Either way, I love the show.

I get the "by cracky" reference & joke, just commenting that it has become his only major contribution.

Last week w/o Boers was pretty good, although sometimes L-Holmes tries a bit to hard to impress Danny Bernstein.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
This STRETCH of a post is brought to you by Hawk Harrelson.

Whatever. If you need someone telling you what is going on when you are watching a baseball game, you aren't as baseball-wise as you think you are. Hawk is basically there to entertain and inform, and teach. Whether you want to admit it or not, you have learned a lot about baseball listening to Hawk over the years.

If you can't stand him, mute it and watch, and dream about how the guy from broadcast school would announce the game.

Why should I be forced to watch the game on mute because the announcer is a senile old man?